Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Bumping this thread to share a different type of small light fire extinguisher that I just discovered today made by Element. The E50 model is $80 and it will fit in the Camaro glove box. I ordered the slightly larger E100 which may fit diagonally in the glove box but it would be close. I ordered 2 of their $6 quick fist mounts and plan to put it behind the passenger seat where it will be within easy reach while driving.

Since it only weights 0.79lbs I am planning to use 2 small holes in the vertical part of the carpet that would be behind your knees if sitting in the back seat to hold the extinguisher mounts.

There is a current 15% off code EFHS20 plus they also offer free shipping if you spend over $99.
https://elementfire.com/collections/allproducts

cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Bumping this thread to share a different type of small light fire extinguisher that I just discovered today made by Element. The E50 model is $80 and it will fit in the Camaro glove box. I ordered the slightly larger E100 which may fit diagonally in the glove box but it would be close. I ordered 2 of their $6 quick fist mounts and plan to put it behind the passenger seat where it will be within easy reach while driving.

Since it only weights 0.79lbs I am planning to use 2 small holes in the vertical part of the carpet that would be behind your knees if sitting in the back seat to hold the extinguisher mounts.

There is a current 15% off code EFHS20 plus they also offer free shipping if you spend over $99.

From a practicality pov it would likely be best suited to be used on ya know what, after consuming too much hot salsa vs putting out any type of automotive fire IMO.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #17
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I went with the:
Brey Krause R-2155 Fire Extinguisher Mount - Chevrolet Camaro (6th gen)

Easy to install and fire extinguisher is out of the way and full seat mobility.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
From a practicality pov it would likely be best suited to be used on ya know what, after consuming too much hot salsa vs putting out any type of automotive fire IMO.
Haha that's what I thought too at first glance but their UK website lists 2 instances (here & here) where the same product actually put out real-world vehicle fires (but with less than comprehensive evidence provided) and they have a few demo videos. Obviously there are going to be limits to what any small fire extinguisher can handle but they are better than nothing.

cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Just looking at older posts, and came across this.

My opinion, and one that I share with students (I'm a PCA instructor) is to not waste time or money with an extinguisher. For 2 reasons:

1) If your car catches on fire and you have an extinguisher, you will have to: slow the car down safely, pull off track, unbuckle your seatbelt, reach over, unclip the extinguisher, pull the safety pin, exit the vehicle, then start spraying the fire. Frankly, that's a LOT of time to take while your car is on fire. Probably 30 seconds or better. That's just time you DON'T want to take with a burning car. Just get away from the car and let the professionals put the fire out. After all, how many racecar drivers have you ever seen putting out a fire on their own cars?

2) If you aren't going to use it . . . why have a potential flying projectile in the car with you? I advise students to remove all items from the car for this reason. Don't even allow phones, cameras, or other things that aren't tethered.
I'm really confused with your opinion here. If you car bursts into flames, isn't it common sense to get the hell out of it ASAP. Not worrying about how safely you slow down or where to park?

slow the car down safely - If your cars on fire and you can use brakes, STOP AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

pull off the track. or just get the hell out of the car asap because its on fire and not worry where you park it.

unbuckle your seatbelt. Yup, you have to do that anytime you exit the vehicle.

reach over and unclip the fire extinguisher. No, get the hell out of the car.

pull the safety pin. No, get the hell our of the car.

exit the vehicle. Yup, covered that 3 steps ago.

then start spraying the fire. OK.

Majority of the fires I have seen are not sudden burst into flames. They are engine/fuel fires that start small and are in somewhat of a controlled situation. Number one thing to drive into people's brains are to get the hell out of the car ASAP! That's it. Once you are out, then you can access the situation and grab your extinguisher and begin spraying. 30 seconds is a long ass time when your shits on fire. I've ran over to people I was racing and pulled them out of their cars that were on fire in less than 30 seconds. If anyone cant exit their cars in way under 30 seconds, they should really be addressing that. Esp when its right side up and the doors open.

#2 all the posts here are showing ways to safely bolt the extinguisher inside the vehicle. No one is saying, leave it on the passenger seat where it can fly around in a wreck.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #20
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
I went with the:

Best Regards,
Dave
This is the best option so far imo. I have kids so the passenger seat needs to slide back and forth all the time
Old 11-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #21
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
I went with the:

Best Regards,
Dave
Hey Dave, did you go with the Amerex 417 or something else?

The Element product would seem to be well suited for carrying in the trunk of my wife's car. It doesn't take up much space and is light.
I will have to have a conventional 2.5 lb (UL 1A:10BC rating) extinguisher to meet tech for BBORR.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Hey Dave, did you go with the Amerex 417 or something else?

The Element product would seem to be well suited for carrying in the trunk of my wife's car. It doesn't take up much space and is light.
I will have to have a conventional 2.5 lb (UL 1A:10BC rating) extinguisher to meet tech for BBORR.
I went with this setup, from Zoro.com:

G9981806 - Fire Extinguisher, 1A:10B:C,
Dry Chemical, 2.5 lb

G4154394 - Fire Extinguisher Bracket,2.5
lb.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 11-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #23
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Thx Dave, that's the Amerex in a different color, nice choice. I have to stick with red for tech
Old 11-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #24
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post

Thanks for the info! I grabbed one.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #25
Mountain

Here’s what I decided to do as an extinguisher setup - it allows easy swapping on and off and easy access/reach:
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #26
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Here’s what I decided to do as an extinguisher setup - it allows easy swapping on and off and easy access/reach:
Nicely done, even if it could become one heck of a conversation piece (especially for female passengers). Oh well, i could not resist
Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #27
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nicely done, even if it could become one heck of a conversation piece (especially for female passengers). Oh well, i could not resist
"..It's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - we have to use the indefinite article 'a dildo' never 'your... dildo...'"
Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #28
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
"..It's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - we have to use the indefinite article 'a dildo' never 'your... dildo...'"
Well said. I presume, much would also depend on whether it is still in its original packaging...