Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
This thread is of interest to me!

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
This thread is of interest to me!
I AM GLAD! We do not have a marketplace on the gen6 forums yet... But I can assure you that I am in contact with 5 major players who want in the forums haha (who are NOT on the gen5 forums). Tuning wise, only SCT and Diablo though. I will keep posting their updates as they are sending their stuff to me before making it public as I helped em out.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
SCT and Diablo can tune GM. The type of options on HPTuners and EFILIVE makes them superior. I have a cam and heads 5th gen running mid 10s all motor and couldn't do that with SCT nor Diablo. There's pros and cons since you can't flash the stock tune unless your tuner does it.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
I have a cam and heads 5th gen running mid 10s all motor and couldn't do that with SCT nor Diablo. .
Why not? There are tons of cars running 10's and better with tunes via SCT and Diablo devices. My Mustang runs low 11's (just tune, converter, intake, suspension, 4000 pound race weight) with a tune loaded via an SCT device...my tuner just writes the tune while my car is on the dyno and uploads the file to my X4 device. My buddy has a Challenger with a blower and other stuff running low 10's with a tune loaded via a Diablo device...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Why not? There are tons of cars running 10's and better with tunes via SCT and Diablo devices. My Mustang runs low 11's (just tune, converter, intake, suspension, 4000 pound race weight) with a tune loaded via an SCT device...my tuner just writes the tune while my car is on the dyno and uploads the file to my X4 device. My buddy has a Challenger with a blower and other stuff running low 10's with a tune loaded via a Diablo device...
80% of LS cars are tuned with HP or EFILive the fastest ones use them. Can you point out a 5th gen with heads and cam running 10.50s on motor using an SCT or Diablo? I've been doing this 15yrs and tried all the combos you can think of. Mod per mod software to software SCT and Diablo will never get to a level as HP And EFILive that's a bet. Ford and Dodge yeah I know SCT and Diablo is a better software. GM nope. I've done it all used all types of software not what I read online I actually used them on my own cars and trucks. The hardcore racers performance guys use HPTuners and EFILive. I'll always stand by that. Yeah can use SCT or Diablo they will perform well but no where as good as these. Point out 10sec cars 9sec cars (GM) on motor using SCT or Diablo? No power adders either.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #20
62nalide

I'll correct myself so I won't mislead people on here.
In my honest OPINION SCT and DIABLO are not the best softwares to FINE tuned an LS/LT GM engine. HP Tuners and EFILive has way more parameters.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #21
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
62nalide, I do appreciate your input. It is another reason why I created this post. I am not here to tell people X is the best if you like Y gtfo. I created this thread so we actually put our opinions as well as get a good, civil, informative discussion going. Thanks for expending my horizon
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #22
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
I'll correct myself so I won't mislead people on here.
In my honest OPINION SCT and DIABLO are not the best softwares to FINE tuned an LS/LT GM engine. HP Tuners and EFILive has way more parameters.
But the main reason so many use HP Tuners and such, not SCT is only because SCT wasn't really in the GM game until recently. So of course the majority isn't using them, they couldn't. Also, what fine parameters that SCT doesn't have would you need to fine tune a N/A motor (which is relatively easy compared to forced induction or juice)? Unless they are starting with premade, basic files, (which many do) SCT allows you to access all parameters as well. At least on the modern Ford stuff, which is, if anything slightly more complicated then the GM stuff, if using the correct base files, SCT lets you access everything on the ECU. It seems SCT files can be set up to dial in all the same parameters as HP Tuners, just many tuners chose to start with more basic files.

HP Tuners wasn't available for the Coyote 5.0 platform until recently. As I said, I use HP Tuners on my C5Z, and possibly will on my new Camaro. But my SCT based tunes on my Mustang work perfectly, and for what most people will need on the new LT1, the simpler tuning capabilities, and user friendliness will make it popular. It is pretty new to the modern GM platforms though, so we will see. SCT is huge in the Mustang world, which is far larger then the Camaro world now. So my gut feeling is you will see SCT getting much more popular in the Camaro world over the next few years...especially since the gen 6 performs so well.

FYI, I have been modding (I've installed my own heads, cams, headers, converters, etc) and tuning (in some cases tuning myself) cars since the mid 90's, so about 20 years...and own a copy of HP Tuners, since 2002, and even used to do basic tuning via the old MAFT's on LS1 cars. If you remember those old school tuning things.

Last edited by SS 1LE; 11-20-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #23
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
I agree that HP Tuners is the way to go, and I use it on my C5Z. But that would require a full dyno tune at a shop as the software is pricey and not user friendly to most
Nah, I've road tuned vehicles with HP Tuners VCM while sitting shotgun, though for base fuel map tuning, you'd need to have a nice long stretch of road that has many hills in it, that you can hit at varying speeds (so no traffic is helpful), in order to fill up the data logging tables.

Takes a bit longer than an inertial chassis dyno where you can set constant speed and get your data in a much more straightforward fashion, but it is completely possible to give the same quality of tune without a dyno.

Oh, as for price, yeah it can be a bit more pricey, HP Tuners hardware is around $499 (regular kit) $649 (pro kit), which I believe comes with $100 worth of credits - enough to tune one vehicle. Then, a $150-ish wideband o2 sensor and some welding skills to put it in your downpipe. And the knowledge of how to tune, but hey... knowledge is free.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net

Last edited by joemosfet; 11-20-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: edit: sheesh prices have gone up...
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
62nalide

Quote:
But the main reason so many use HP Tuners and such, not SCT is only because SCT wasn't really in the GM game until recently. So of course the majority isn't using them, they couldn't. Also, what fine parameters that SCT doesn't have would you need to fine tune a N/A motor (which is relatively easy compared to forced induction or juice)? Unless they are starting with premade, basic files, (which many do) SCT allows you to access all parameters as well. At least on the modern Ford stuff, which is, if anything slightly more complicated then the GM stuff, if using the correct base files, SCT lets you access everything on the ECU. It seems SCT files can be set up to dial in all the same parameters as HP Tuners, just many tuners chose to start with more basic files.

HP Tuners wasn't available for the Coyote 5.0 platform until recently. As I said, I use HP Tuners on my C5Z, and possibly will on my new Camaro. But my SCT based tunes on my Mustang work perfectly, and for what most people will need on the new LT1, the simpler tuning capabilities, and user friendliness will make it popular. It is pretty new to the modern GM platforms though, so we will see. SCT is huge in the Mustang world, which is far larger then the Camaro world now. So my gut feeling is you will see SCT getting much more popular in the Camaro world over the next few years...especially since the gen 6 performs so well.

FYI, I have been modding (I've installed my own heads, cams, headers, converters, etc) and tuning (in some cases tuning myself) cars since the mid 90's, so about 20 years...and own a copy of HP Tuners, since 2002, and even used to do basic tuning via the old MAFT's on LS1 cars. If you remember those old school tuning things.
The way I see it since I've been tuning VVT on my car SCT did NOT offer software. The LT1 is VVT. So I'd rather trust the one that's been doing it for years and years vs the company that just released something that's been out. My 2011 5.0 was tuned with SCT ran very good now it's tuned by HP Tuners and what a difference car runs and drives better. This is why I strongly dislike SCT. I've used it and it isn't for me. Both cars bought new only have 10k miles since they live on the track.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #25
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Nah, I've road tuned vehicles with HP Tuners VCM while sitting shotgun, though for base fuel map tuning, you'd need to have a nice long stretch of road that has many hills in it, that you can hit at varying speeds (so no traffic is helpful), in order to fill up the data logging tables.

Takes a bit longer than an inertial chassis dyno where you can set constant speed and get your data in a much more straightforward fashion, but it is completely possible to give the same quality of tune without a dyno.

Oh, as for price, yeah it can be a bit more pricey, HP Tuners hardware is around $499 (regular kit) $649 (pro kit), which I believe comes with $100 worth of credits - enough to tune one vehicle. Then, a $150-ish wideband o2 sensor and some welding skills to put it in your downpipe. And the knowledge of how to tune, but hey... knowledge is free.
I always dyno tune AND road tune...that way you cover all your bases. HP Tuners has actually come down in price. If I recall I paid more then that years ago, and I think my software allowed 3 additional users...I get the updates still thankfully. So I may just use it when I get my car. But SCT may just allow easier, on the fly updates. Not sure what I will do, and no rush as I don't plan on tuning the car until after it is a year old.

Quote:
The way I see it since I've been tuning VVT on my car SCT did NOT offer software. The LT1 is VVT. So I'd rather trust the one that's been doing it for years and years vs the company that just released something that's been out. My 2011 5.0 was tuned with SCT ran very good now it's tuned by HP Tuners and what a difference car runs and drives better. This is why I strongly dislike SCT. I've used it and it isn't for me. Both cars bought new only have 10k miles since they live on the track.
SCT allows VVT tuning...just not in base files in some cases, which most start with. Mine has been tweaked.

As far the car running much better with HP Tuners, that just tells me the tuner is better with HP Tuners then SCT. Parameters are parameters....doesn't matter whose software you use...it's all about whose doing the tuning, and some people are better with certain software. Heck, the quickest and fastest Mustang 5.0, and GT500 are both tuned using SCT...so the potential is there. May just take some time to catch on with the Camaro crowd as it's kinda new in the game. Time will tell I guess...anything is better then the old school Hypertech chips I had in my third gens back in the day. I'm just glad we have options now a days...

Last edited by SS 1LE; 11-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
We prefer HP Tuners here but we will be writing custom tunes to be used with Diablosport units as it is more cost effective for the end user to have an interface to load tunes and for data log. I am not an SCT fan myself for GM platforms.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
I am not a believer in those pre-set tunes.

A true tune is custom calibrated for your car on a dyno with top-tuning software such as HPTuners. I have been around the block to know personally the better gains and efficiency you get from a real tune.

I have ran several setups, and several tunes. Even bolt-ons will yield better results form HPTuners. I have gone all the way to transmission swaps to stroker 408 iron blocks with heads, cam, etc. Diablosport tuners, and the like, aren't for a true enthusiast. If you get those, you're settling, and you're not getting the power, or fuel efficiency that HPTuners will accomplish with a competent tuner.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
I am not a believer in those pre-set tunes.

A true tune is custom calibrated for your car on a dyno with top-tuning software such as HPTuners. I have been around the block to know personally the better gains and efficiency you get from a real tune.

I have ran several setups, and several tunes. Even bolt-ons will yield better results form HPTuners. I have gone all the way to transmission swaps to stroker 408 iron blocks with heads, cam, etc. Diablosport tuners, and the like, aren't for a true enthusiast. If you get those, you're settling, and you're not getting the power, or fuel efficiency that HPTuners will accomplish with a competent tuner.
A pre set/canned tune from a good tuner can be a fantastic starting point on a bolt on car. If your tuner and you data log and revise the tune you can get great results. I had a well known coyote tuner send a tune for my car, we did four rounds of data logging and revisions. About a year later I decided to try an actual tune from yet another well known Mustang tuner, the gains he got were minimal. Less than 5/5 at the wheels. Now with internal work, or boost, different story...

Are you the same dragonZ28 from LS1Tech back in the day who sold the stainless CAMARO inserts and such?