Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
I like to use Google Maps via Apple Car Play.......This has gotten me to and from a lot of hard to find places.
My only complaint is I wish GM would adopt the satellite feeds like Audi does for their navigation system so you could actually see the surroundings of where your going instead of the cartoony look of google maps and the optional navigation system that I wasted money on....
How do you use google maps in apple carplay? There's no google maps, only apple maps??
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Definitely Waze! Would be awesome if/when it's integrated into CarPlay. My wife has factory Nav in her 2105 Nissan Rogue, and it did come in handy when we were vacationing in The Great Smoky Mountain Nation Park because of the lack of cell phone towers.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #17
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Apple Maps with Apple Car Play but I'd love to use Google Maps and/or Waze, instead. I had ordered my car with the OEM navigation system but with this projection feature it's frankly useless..
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'm probably the odd one out here, but I prefer the OEM navigation, mostly beacuse I've found it pretty usable, it's integrated with the HUD and the display cluster, and it doesn't require me to hook my phone up with a cable (there is no obvious best location to put the phone---oh btw, does anyone know why AA doesn't work via Bluetooth?).

Also, the built-in nav hasn't misled me at any point so far, although I haven't yet tested my "killer" spot that did get the old Garmin in the other car confused.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #19
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'm probably the odd one out here, but I prefer the OEM navigation, mostly beacuse I've found it pretty usable, it's integrated with the HUD and the display cluster, and it doesn't require me to hook my phone up with a cable (there is no obvious best location to put the phone---oh btw, does anyone know why AA doesn't work via Bluetooth?).

Also, the built-in nav hasn't misled me at any point so far, although I haven't yet tested my "killer" spot that did get the old Garmin in the other car confused.
BT can't handle the bandwidth needed for wireless AA. It is in the works, probably will need Wifi direct to connect.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #20
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Waze, only because Trapster is no more and there are no other apps that do such a nice job of reporting traffic congestion, cops and speed traps! Apple Maps needs to add these features! Otherwise, I like Apple Maps a lot.

In areas with no cell service, try Galileo or Tom Tom Go where you can download maps in advance...
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #21
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Waze, only because Trapster is no more and there are no other apps that do such a nice job of reporting traffic congestion, cops and speed traps! Apple Maps needs to add these features! Otherwise, I like Apple Maps a lot.
haha, i forgot all about Trapster
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #22
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
haha, i forgot all about Trapster
Yea, Trapster creator Pete Tenereillo is here now:

https://pathsense.com/team

also see:

http://www.tenereillo.com/wordpress/

also he showed up here:
http://www.thedrive.com/the-drive-50...ive-technology

Last edited by libertyforall; 12-11-2017 at 11:34 PM.
libertyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Waze on the phone in one hand, other hand on the steering wheel.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

I second this!! (...and, my phone plan does not include unlimited data so, that's another point in favor of the OEM NAV for me)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #25
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Waze via Android Auto is the only way to fly...obstacle and police reports are indispensable!

Those who purchased and prefer the built-in nav...I respect that, but I suspect those feelings might change a bit after the first time you spend the $160 to update the map database. With Android Auto, whether I use Waze or Google Maps, I drive in confidence, knowing I always have up-to-date maps!

I'll never understand why anyone uses Apple Car Play...I've given it an honest go. Used it for a a full week on my daily commute and voice recognition / texting, navigation, and music app options are clearly inferior.

Ah well...to each his/her own...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil's Rebel View Post
I second this!! (...and, my phone plan does not include unlimited data so, that's another point in favor of the OEM NAV for me)
I have limited data too, but WAZE doesn't use that much. Only thing with AA that uses a lot of data is the music streaming.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #27
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I found this video walk through for anyone trying to integrate WAZE AA to their 8" screen in the Camaro. If it helps some wondering how to install ect. then here is the link -
- Enjoy!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #28
twoballscrewball

Drives: 89 Iroc Convertible, 2017 2SS Fifty
Google maps through AA.

I decided to try out the factory navigation on a trip a few weeks ago from South Jersey to northern Virginia. All was good until I got near DC, where the factory navigation found what it must have seen as the 'shortest' route, which dragged me through surface streets through Silver Springs and the outskirts of DC at 4pm, which literally added 2 hours to my trip. Google is smart enough to not do that. I was very surprised the factory nav did so poorly considering I do have active Sirius XM for traffic updates. Never again.

But having the turns come up on the HUD was nice, too bad AA can't do that.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote