Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
New car paint care / initial detailing

I'm sure there is a ton of info and products for the initial care, detailing, and protection of a new car.

Does anyone have any links / guides / suggestions?

What has worked for you?

My wife's car was aging and it was time for a replacement. We bought her a brand new black Subaru Crosstrek with tan leather interior.

So, I not only have a camaro a few months out but, also my wife's car to seal and protect.

I found a brand named Wolfgang and was considering purchasing some of their products.

In the past I generaly just washed and waxed like once per year with whatever generic stuff was on sale in the car care isle. Sometimes I'd be lazy enough to just pay to have my car detailed. My wife's last car was black and it definitely lost its luster over the years.

I'd like to give our new cars a solid start and try to keep them looking good longer.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I'm sure there is a ton of info and products for the initial care, detailing, and protection of a new car.

Does anyone have any links / guides / suggestions?

What has worked for you?

My wife's car was aging and it was time for a replacement. We bought her a brand new black Subaru Crosstrek with tan leather interior.

So, I not only have a camaro a few months out but, also my wife's car to seal and protect.

I found a brand named Wolfgang and was considering purchasing some of their products.

In the past I generaly just washed and waxed like once per year with whatever generic stuff was on sale in the car care isle. Sometimes I'd be lazy enough to just pay to have my car detailed. My wife's last car was black and it definitely lost its luster over the years.

I'd like to give our new cars a solid start and try to keep them looking good longer.
I have had many cars over the years and have always done my own washing, detailing, waxing, etc. I typically use Mequiars products for detailig and waxing. I like their quick spray waxes and always wipe my vehicles down every night with a clean micro fiber towel and little bit of spray wax. I figure a nice thin coat of wax every night and it does the trick. I used to spend hours on regular wax and buffers, but too time consuming, especially for a DD. My vehicles always look immaculate everyday, I am real OCD about my cars. Also only use Armorall on tires, none of that greasy crap that stays on tires for weeks withiut ever coming off. Might look into some sort of cermic type coating initally on my Camaro, but not sure if I want to shell out the big $, we will see.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I wipe my vehicles down every night with a clean micro fiber towel and little bit of spray wax. I am real OCD about my cars. Also only use Armorall on tires.
Sorry, I took the liberty of cropping your post.....

I don't have the luxury or free time to care for my cars in such a manner.

And daily?!?!!! Wow!

I only have a 1 car garage..... It's so packed with crap that I've never had a car in there. My cars get driven and exposed to the elements.

I was imagining that this thread could be a good resource for all the new car buyers and how to care for their new freshly painted cars.

edit and ps:
I agree about the armorall. I've never found anything better.... 20+ years of use.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Ditch ArmorAll, use 303 Protectants. Originally made for aerospace and aviation industry.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-s-method.html

The Glen e method which has a lot of positive responses on the various Corvette forums.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Second the 303. Far superior. Armorall is horrible for tires. My dad is a 40 veteran of the tie industry and an often interviewed expert on tv and radio. He recommends steering clear. But if it works for ya, ho for it.

It is helpful to claybar once or twice a year and then polish and wax. There are many good brands. Mothers and mequiers are the most common to find. I detailed cars like 25 years ago but many good products have come out since then.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Sorry, I took the liberty of cropping your post.....

I don't have the luxury or free time to care for my cars in such a manner.

And daily?!?!!! Wow!

I only have a 1 car garage..... It's so packed with crap that I've never had a car in there. My cars get driven and exposed to the elements.

I was imagining that this thread could be a good resource for all the new car buyers and how to care for their new freshly painted cars.

edit and ps:
I agree about the armorall. I've never found anything better.... 20+ years of use.
Lol...I have a finished 2 car garage, with some really good daylight fluorescent lighting, makes a great plce to detail/wax. I find that if I spend a little bit of time every night, makes it so much easier to keep the vehicles looking real nice. I enjoy it, it kind of is a relaxing therapy for me. And if it gets too hot in the garage, I just turn on the industrial Hunter garage fan and/or the AC.

And yeah I have tried a bunch of different tire products for shine, and I always kept going back to Armorall.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
Second the 303. Far superior. Armorall is horrible for tires. My dad is a 40 veteran of the tie industry and an often interviewed expert on tv and radio. He recommends steering clear. But if it works for ya, ho for it.

It is helpful to claybar once or twice a year and then polish and wax. There are many good brands. Mothers and mequiers are the most common to find. I detailed cars like 25 years ago but many good products have come out since then.
Never had any issues with Armorall and negative effects on tires. I have had tires for 60K + miles on them before they were replaces, sidewalls were perfect. Don't like the greasy products that stay on for weeks at a time, even through heavy rain, dirt, etc., pain to actually get off the tires and then try to clean them.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post

303 I think offers the best protection from the sun if you regularly apply it, but the best product I have found for black trim and tires is Mothers Back to Black. It is the only product I have found that doesn't completely was off the first time it rains, good stuff.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
303 is not greasy. Armorall can make punctures easier to happen and can actually encourage the drying out of the tire 303 is different. Often used on rvs and patio furniture as well.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
For exterior care, the first thing I plan to do it take it to a detailer to get the paint repaired and any orange peel buffed out. Then, he'll apply CQuartz Finest nano ceramic coating to the paint and the wheels (inside and out), and calipers.

AJ's 2-bucket hand wash when it gets dirty (even slightly) and that's it. Occasionally rejuvenate the ceramic coating, and maybe get it completely reapplied after a few years.

My current Camaro, always garaged, I have babied and waxed often, two bucket washed with new mitts, even claybared and rewaxed and yet I still have swirl marks - something I never had in my previous ceramic coated vehicle. (Granted, I did get my '14 after it sat on the dealer's lot for who knows how long, but I digress.)
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
GTIanZ28

I'll give the 303 a try. I have no issues trying different products.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Here are two decently long videos that have mostly everything you'll need, at least to get started with a new car while avoiding putting swirls on it. This guy seriously knows what he's talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bG7oVjg77o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGf3_4BtB-w

3000: 8/27/15
TPW (10/19): 8/31/15
3300: 10/8/15
3400: 10/10/15
3800: 10/21/15 VIN #118558
5000: 1/4/16 @ 11:49AM
6000: 1/4/16 @ 11:49AM
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-s-method.html

The Glen e method which has a lot of positive responses on the various Corvette forums.

Laborsmith
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

Saving me a little bit of money vs what I was looking at. Likely saving me a lot of excess time and work! I really didn't want to buy a random orbital polisher but, it makes sense that if I want to achieve the best results with the least amount of work I should probably get one.