#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Harness: Which one and how mounted

What harness(es) are y'all using and how are you mounting them in your cars? Apologies if this has been covered before. Yes, I did search, but haven't found too much. I'm sure it's out there, I just can't find it. PLEASE HELP

Keep in mind that my car is a daily first and an HPDE car second or possibly third. Not a race car.

I currently have Schroth Flexi Profi II - 6 point that expires in 2022. I'd like to use them if possible. There seems to be quite a bit of discussions about 4 point harnesses, but they don't seem to be any specific for our cars. I would really like something that is designed for the 6th gen if my life is going to depend on it.
I also have a NecksGen head restraint that I would like to continue using. I'm sure I could make it will work with 3 inch shoulder straps, but the 2 inch is what I used before.

Are you using a harness bar or going full in with a roll bar? I'd prefer not to go down the roll bar path as it limited seat movement in the 5th gen, making it less streetable. Perhaps things have changed?

The last question: What attachment points are you using?

Thx in advance for sharing your knowledge
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I would only use a 4-point or 6-point harness if the car has a good quality roll bar. If you crash and the roof comes in, you will break your neck without the added protection of a roll bar. Not worth it in my opinion. If you feel the OEM seats don't hold you enough, then go with a better racing seat that allows using the OEM belts.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
I have Crow harness attached to an RPM roll ball. and Planted seat base that holds my sparco seat
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
h018871
Geoff

What do you use for attachments for the lap and anti submarine belts?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 AM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
What harness(es) are y'all using and how are you mounting them in your cars? Apologies if this has been covered before. Yes, I did search, but haven't found too much. I'm sure it's out there, I just can't find it. PLEASE HELP

Keep in mind that my car is a daily first and an HPDE car second or possibly third. Not a race car.

I currently have Schroth Flexi Profi II - 6 point that expires in 2022. I'd like to use them if possible. There seems to be quite a bit of discussions about 4 point harnesses, but they don't seem to be any specific for our cars. I would really like something that is designed for the 6th gen if my life is going to depend on it.
I also have a NecksGen head restraint that I would like to continue using. I'm sure I could make it will work with 3 inch shoulder straps, but the 2 inch is what I used before.

Are you using a harness bar or going full in with a roll bar? I'd prefer not to go down the roll bar path as it limited seat movement in the 5th gen, making it less streetable. Perhaps things have changed?

The last question: What attachment points are you using?

Thx in advance for sharing your knowledge
I'd NEVER use a roll bar in a street car. I had been rear ended once (badly) many years ago and would not want to have any metal behind my head no matter how well padded, or how far away it may seem (trust me no roll bar will be far enough). Also, id never use just a harness bar in a car with a marginal rating for its roof and without an integrated roll over protection (a la c5z for example). So, since i street my Camaro, i rely on OEM protection including multitude of air bags plus oem belts. In short, stay OEM, or go all the way. Going half way does not increase the safety aspect - to the contrary imo. There are neck restraints on the market that have been specifically designed for oem belts - for extra protection. Hope it helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
JKM

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm getting a quote this week, will let you know what rollbar etc. they suggest if you want. BUT, like TrackClub mentioned, I'm uneasy about driving around the street with the rollbar in the back and no helmet. I'm still leaning towards something like the Simpson Hybrid S and keeping stock seat / seatbelts instead.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
h018871
Geoff

My last car had a roll bar and it was mostly a street car. I thought long and hard about the roll over protection of the 5th gen. I couldn't convince myself to put harnesses in without the roll bar.
The alpha chassis is super strong, the 5th gen was too, this time I'm leaning towards a harness bar and harnesses. I do like the option of the strap on neck braces that can be used without harnesses. BUT, harnesses really keep you planted in the seat. No need to hold on, you can just drive the car.

Not an easy problem/solution.

JKM, If you don't mind, I'd like to know how they plan to tie the harness to the car. Shoulder straps are easy, it's the others that are the challenge.

Thx to all for the input, keep it coming
Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
TrackClub

Here are test results with pix and vids for a gen6.
Note this is for an SS, which is a bit lighter than a 1LE.
The car is strong and appears very safe overall with OEM systems. But, the roof gets a much lower rating.

Note that stock seats are not designed for harness, yet ive seen folks "improvise" here. Yet, nobody knows exactly how such system will perform until they meet a concrete wall at high speed.
OTOH if you replace stock seats with a proper race seat one will automatically lose all airbag protection.
So there are puts and takes here and no free lunch.
There are good reasons why race cars have full (or at least half) cages, containment seats, etc. There is also a good reason why OEM systems have front, side, knee and roof airbags (in essence providing full containment).

Think long and hard before "improving" any safety system, especially if not willing to go all the way, a la proper race car. I've seen semi pro track/race cars with absolutely screwed up safety systems, including improperly attached harnesses (which would offer ZERO protection). If you do venture into this space, ensure you understand FULLY and in DETAIL all the principles that make such system operate properly. Starting with how any roll bar/cage is attached to the frame, what's its rating relative to a car's weight, etc. Then all other considerations (and there are many).

Unfortunately, there are folks out there, that automatically believe that any harness system will trump any OEM system. Not only is this false, but they might actually be significantly reducing safety overall.

Bottom line: we are free to do whatever we wish to do, perhaps limited by what our insurance will cover vs not in case of personal injury situation. And whether a safety system will allow us to walk anyway from a major wreck or not.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...#roof-strength
Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
h018871
Geoff

TrackClub, excellent link. Thx for that.

I guess I'll need to wear velcro to keep firmly in place!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
TrackClub, excellent link. Thx for that.

I guess I'll need to wear velcro to keep firmly in place!
My pleasure

What i found is that locking the belts per the manual helps quite a bit. Having your L foot firmly on a dead pedal does too. Finally, some folks like to lean into a corner. I do the opposite: I press my torso into the seat in opposite direction. So in a R hander, i press my torso on the L side of the upper seat bolster to compensate for G forces. As long as one sits close enough to controls (which is always a good idea) it works quite well.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Timbo-1LE

Simpson Hybrid. Cost, but made for street cars... Watch the videos on their site. I'm buying a second for when I take passengers @ reduced pace... Doctor @ Sebring event recommend...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I second the Hybrid-S. Wore one first time at AMP last week and hardly noticed it was there. I draped a t-shirt over the seat under head-rest to minimize trim damage (ZL1 Seat emblem & Silver trim) from the device.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #13
TrackClub

Yep, proly the best on the market at the moment for OEM belts. All track Docs are pushing them hard...
Old 05-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
JKM

Quote:
My last car had a roll bar and it was mostly a street car. I thought long and hard about the roll over protection of the 5th gen. I couldn't convince myself to put harnesses in without the roll bar.
The alpha chassis is super strong, the 5th gen was too, this time I'm leaning towards a harness bar and harnesses. I do like the option of the strap on neck braces that can be used without harnesses. BUT, harnesses really keep you planted in the seat. No need to hold on, you can just drive the car.

Not an easy problem/solution.

JKM, If you don't mind, I'd like to know how they plan to tie the harness to the car. Shoulder straps are easy, it's the others that are the challenge.

Thx to all for the input, keep it coming
Small update for you that doesn't really help answer your questions lol. Even before getting quotes for harness, rollbar etc. I decided on a Simpson Hybrid S instead. This isn't a dedicated track car for me so felt that was the best choice for my scenario.

Good luck in your search!
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote