Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
ajl12

Drives: Searching
ZL1 1LE vs. C7 Z06

Hey everyone, new member here. I have been contemplating these two cars for quite some time now and I am ready to pull the trigger. I am sure this has been discussed plenty of times already but figured I would ask the question with my own words and hopefully get some insight from the actual owners of these cars.
For the longest time I was dead set on getting a C7 Z06, I think its one of the best looking cars out there at the moment. Absolutely the best looking vette in my opinion of all time.
When the ZLE came out it caught my attention for sure. Such a mean aggressive looking car. Then, I finally saw one in person the other day when I stopped at a local Chevy dealer to check out Z06's and I could not believe how much better the car looked in person. I already loved the way it looked in pictures but my god, did it look so much sweeter in real life.

I guess my main question is, what has your experience been like in regards to comparing the two cars? Obviously the ride will be nicer in the Z06 with the MagRide but, I never really paid much attention to the ride or stiffness when driving cars like these. I should be test driving the ZLE within the next few days so i guess i will find out. The car would mainly be just for joyriding and taking it out, not a daily driver but a 'drive when i want to drive it' car. I really think i am starting to lean towards the ZLE over the Z06 but i would to get others perspective on it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
ajl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
I think if you don't wanna spend Corvette money you're going to track the car you buy get the ZL1 1LE. If you're looking to spend less and run your car on the street get a ZL1. If you got the loot get a ZR1!
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Zl1 1le has proven to not be as susceptible to the over heating that plaques the Z06. Also with the C8 the c7 will be even less of a good buy unless they start to offer strong incentives. I haven’t seen them so I am not sure if that will come. Also the zl1 1le A10 is great from everyone that owns one and I fee the manual is as great. So either way you’re good there. Camaro you get a back seat not sure if you have kids or not but it is great I can take mine out with me time to time when I want to drive it. Plus the 1LE has proven to be a monster on the track.

I honestly think this is the last point, price. Corvette z06 with z06 100k

ZLE 62- 68 .

I don’t honestly think there is a decision because I think the Camaro crushes the corvette.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
ajl12

Drives: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
Zl1 1le has proven to not be as susceptible to the over heating that plaques the Z06. Also with the C8 the c7 will be even less of a good buy unless they start to offer strong incentives. I haven’t seen them so I am not sure if that will come. Also the zl1 1le A10 is great from everyone that owns one and I fee the manual is as great. So either way you’re good there. Camaro you get a back seat not sure if you have kids or not but it is great I can take mine out with me time to time when I want to drive it. Plus the 1LE has proven to be a monster on the track.

I honestly think this is the last point, price. Corvette z06 with z06 100k

ZLE 62- 68 .

I don’t honestly think there is a decision because I think the Camaro crushes the corvette.
Thanks for your input. I am definitely a manual guy and I do have kids. What are your thoughts on the whole horrible ride quality on the streets with the ZLE? I get it, they are DSSV suspension but, are people just being too sensitive or is it that bad? I drive an ‘05 F150 everyday, is the ride that much worse? I get it’s comparing apples and oranges but that’s been my biggest holdback is the complaint on ride. I get it’s a track car, but will I regret it if I buy and do more street driving than track driving? What’s your opinion on that?
ajl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I also had a Z06 and a Grand sport Corvette and now have a ZL1 1LE. It is just as capable on a track as the Z06 in my opinion maybe even a little easier to handle. Im not really a track guy but have put some time behind the wheel of both. You really can't wrong either way in my opinion. If possible like said before the ZR1 would be pretty amazing but given the choice between a Z06 and a ZLE I would save the money and get the ZLE.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl12 View Post
Thanks for your input. I am definitely a manual guy and I do have kids. What are your thoughts on the whole horrible ride quality on the streets with the ZLE? I get it, they are DSSV suspension but, are people just being too sensitive or is it that bad? I drive an ‘05 F150 everyday, is the ride that much worse? I get it’s comparing apples and oranges but that’s been my biggest holdback is the complaint on ride. I get it’s a track car, but will I regret it if I buy and do more street driving than track driving? What’s your opinion on that?
I was also concerned about all the bad ride stories, its not that bad at all. Actually I enjoy the feel of it but here in Fl we have pretty good roads for the most part. It is a little stiff over bumps but feels very proper. I have my wife and 8 year old with me 1/2 the time and they have never complained.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Honestly , in my opinion, I love the ride of my ZLE. Why? Cause I bought this car for lots of fun!!!!!
The ride is bouncy at times. No it’s not good for roads with potholes.
I drive my car for hours, like 6-8 hours at times when I wanna go have just fun.
It’s awesome. To me the bad vibe about ride quality is over exaggerated.
If your buying this as a daily driver yes grab a ZL1.
If your buying for fun grab the ZLE.
My opinion obviously. I love my ZLE. I’m gonna take it out for a road trip that will be a straight 5 hour drive. I can’t wait
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
One thing to also consider is how much C7 Z06 prices are dropping. There are loaded 2019's that were $110K being sold with low miles for $75-83K. If buying a new ZL1 1LE, especially an A10, that is reason for pause. Lower mile M6 ZL1 1LE's are selling in the mid-$50K's. The ones with 20K miles or so are under $50K. See the classifieds on this site or other sites.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Hey everyone, new member here. I have been contemplating these two cars for quite some time now and I am ready to pull the trigger. I am sure this has been discussed plenty of times already but figured I would ask the question with my own words and hopefully get some insight from the actual owners of these cars.
For the longest time I was dead set on getting a C7 Z06, I think its one of the best looking cars out there at the moment. Absolutely the best looking vette in my opinion of all time.
When the ZLE came out it caught my attention for sure. Such a mean aggressive looking car. Then, I finally saw one in person the other day when I stopped at a local Chevy dealer to check out Z06's and I could not believe how much better the car looked in person. I already loved the way it looked in pictures but my god, did it look so much sweeter in real life.

I guess my main question is, what has your experience been like in regards to comparing the two cars? Obviously the ride will be nicer in the Z06 with the MagRide but, I never really paid much attention to the ride or stiffness when driving cars like these. I should be test driving the ZLE within the next few days so i guess i will find out. The car would mainly be just for joyriding and taking it out, not a daily driver but a 'drive when i want to drive it' car. I really think i am starting to lean towards the ZLE over the Z06 but i would to get others perspective on it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I've owned the Z06 M7 w/ Z07 package & 2 ZL1 1LE M7 and A10.

IMO the ZL1 1LE looks just as good as the Z06 w/ Z07 package but this is subjective.

Z06 without the Z07 package is a soggy mess, don't bother getting a Z06 without Z07.

ZL1 1LE vs Z06 w/ Z07 in terms of performance:
ZL1 1LE handles better in every way, without a doubt.
However the Z06 w/ Z07 is still the faster car in a straight line because it's lighter. On a roadcourse I think the two cars are neck and neck and it's a driver's race -- plenty of data to back this up.

So ultimately the question comes down to:

Lighter car with good handling and no back seat but still comfortable on the street.

Or

Heavier car with excellent handling and back seats but less comfortable on the street (better ground clearance though).

If I had to buy them again, I'd go ZL1 1LE because I like the Sport Muscle look and I like owning a muscle car that can out perform just about any Super Sports car out there for 5x the price.

My $0.02

PS - Interior on the ZL1 1LE is better too.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
ChrisRa13

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
You are in the same boat as me man. To me, it wasn’t an option to not have my little motor heads (kids) with me at any point. The DSSV is stiff but nothing like what I anticipated from the reviews. I wouldn’t say it’s even “horrible ride quality” You will not regret it from a ride standpoint, especially if it’s not your DD. After seeing the smiles on my kids face this weekend and looks you get, I don’t regret my decision one bit... Go grab a ZLE M6!
ChrisRa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
With the C8 coming, the C7 Z will be the old vette. The ZLE will still look fresh and be the current camaro for years to come and then some since the camaro will most likely go bye bye. Where I live C7s are everywhere. I see a ZO6 about every week at least and a ZL1 about once a month maybe. A ZLE about every 3 months. While I’m at it, Mustang GTs every 30min, gt350 about 2x week and GT350R about once a month. Hellcats 3x week, demons maybe 1 every 6 months. The ZLE stand out big time. I would get it A10 tho.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I owned a C7 Z06. I've also tracked the car and done plenty of spirited drives. Take my word for it - the ZL1 1LE is the better sports car (to me). I can elaborate if you need me to.

The first thing I did before taking delivery of the car was order a set of Michelin PS4S and have it installed at the dealer. I stored the stock GY 3R's to pair to a new set of wheels specific for the track days.

The PS4S is almost a necessity for the street and it softens the harshness a little and gives you the grip and street ability that is important.

I have a toddler and I love taking her to the park or playgrounds. Car seat fits just fine. My toddler has no issues (then again it's not like she can say full sentences lol)

With respect to the ride - people forget that legendary cars like the 997 GT3 RS also had an extremely stiff ride but the last 10 years have spoiled people with things like Mag ride. The DSSV coilovers is the back to the basics endeavor that some of us yearn for.

For perspective, I owned an E46 M3 over a decade ago that is well respected these days. The ride was stiff from the factory. The ZL1 1LE is about 20% harsher than that car...that is all.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If your plan is to just drive it in a spirited fashion without going to a track then I say go Z06.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
If you buy the Z06 you are likely to see several others on the road when take yours out. If you want to take your car out without seeing another one just like it on the road, get the ZLE.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote