Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #43
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Maybe the SS with non-Recaro seats is the best choice.

Going to the dealer today to check out ergonomics etc on SS (no ZL1 in stock).

Thanks again.
Lots of talk here about performance, modding, and price when the OP seems most concerned about... SEATS!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #44
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I thought about getting a 1LE, or even the cheaper suspension add-on with magnaride. However, I knew I'd never take this car to the track or push it to the point of needing the extra handling capabilities.

IMO, for a daily driver, the stock suspension is more than adequate. I whip this thing around corners with ease. If you're never going to track it, save the money.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #45
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgocifer
ZL1 because 'Merica!
Good thing you waited 'til production moved from Oshawa to Lansing to say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I thought about getting a 1LE, or even the cheaper suspension add-on with magnaride. However, I knew I'd never take this car to the track or push it to the point of needing the extra handling capabilities.

IMO, for a daily driver, the stock suspension is more than adequate. I whip this thing around corners with ease. If you're never going to track it, save the money.
I so agree!! I could have bought a ZL1 or even a Z06 if I wanted, but besides the extra $$ on the sticker, which we all see, there is the often unforeseen cost of the difference in insurance payments that many don't notice until AFTER they've signed the paperwork.

I checked with my insurance and gave them actual VINs for ZL1, Z06, Grand Sport and SS (didn't do 1LE because I had to have a convertible). For all but the SS, the insurance payment approached the monthly payment of the car. For the ZL1 it EXCEEDED the monthly payment of the car (I made a huge down payment).

Since I only expect to track the car 3 or 4 times a year, paying that much in insurance was just not worth it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #46
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

I checked with my insurance and gave them actual VINs for ZL1, Z06, Grand Sport and SS (didn't do 1LE because I had to have a convertible). For all but the SS, the insurance payment approached the monthly payment of the car. For the ZL1 it EXCEEDED the monthly payment of the car (I made a huge down payment).
Ummm...I'm 37, 250 deductible, and the insurance per month is $110-111....which is fairly reasonable.... my SS was roughly 75 a month..same deductible..
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #47
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Ummm...I'm 37, 250 deductible, and the insurance per month is $110-111....which is fairly reasonable.... my SS was roughly 75 a month..same deductible..
Michigan is a whole new world wrt insurance. Since OP is in Michigan, I think it is relevant. It is the worst state in the country for car insurance. Not going to get political, because this isn't the site for that, but just know that in Michigan you MUST be covered for unlimited medical claims. It is a heyday for ambulance chasers. I am 56, clean record, BUT....I have 2 under 21 in my household. My 6 month bill on the SS convertible is $2k with specific exclusions that nobody under 25 can drive it without me in it. The other cars were beyond ridiculous. A lot of energy to change the rule, which ONLY exists in Michigan, but insurance lobbyists are kicking ass in Lansing. Sorry....said I wasn't gonna get political.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #48
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Insurance varies by geographical location. My cars in Pittsburgh cost about 800 a year, in FLorida, when I first moved, they wanted 3 times as much. I still pay twice as much as Pittsburgh after 3 years.

Driving history is excellent, so I dont think its the main factor, location obviously is. Get a quote before you decide.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #49
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
About the seats

The ZL1 Recaro seats will fit most up to coat size 46. If the OP is size 46 or higher then a test drive is mandatory. The seats are not adjustable and considerably more snug than Corvette seats.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #50
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It depends on where you live. My deductible is $500 and the monthly payment is around $110 a month (age 44/SS/good record). Still not bad for Miami where
insurance is higher. The ZL1 will be higher for sure.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #51
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Funny, my insurance for three vehicles went up 60 bucks per month when I added the Camaro which was the exact same as what was quoted for a Corvette Grand Sport. I haven't figured that out yet. Lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #52
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Good thing you waited 'til production moved from Oshawa to Lansing to say that!
Doh! Lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 AM   #53
killervette666

Drives: 1979 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Lots of talk here about performance, modding, and price when the OP seems most concerned about... SEATS!
I'm also looking at trading in my 17 1SS for a ZL1 and having test driven an 18 A10 ZL1, even though I'm pretty skinny the Recaro seats definitely felt stiffer than the regular 1SS seats. I was also not a fan of the side bolstering, I know it's meant for track days, but I felt like something was jamming me in my sides. I drive my car quite a bit, often with my wife, and the 1SS seats are so comfortable that she'll just fall asleep. Driving for more than 30 minutes in uncomfortable seats can ruin a car pretty quick for someone. That being said, the A10 alone is almost worth making the jump. The ZL1 is just so much smoother and more well rounded. Hard to justify the extra $20k that it would take to get into one though. Still going back and forth on whether to pull the trigger myself......
killervette666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #54
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I had a 2ss and traded it for a zl1. No regrets! Its an amazing automobile. With that said, the 2ss is such an amazing value that in retrospect, I think the ss with some suspension work, possibly even just sway bars would (for me) be 80% of what the zl1 is. The power is intoxicating in the zl1, but I am not sure its worth the added expense if you are not going to fully use it. The stock ss is faster than most things on the road as is, and with some suspension/rubber attention, it will handle almost as good too.

I prefer the zl1 seats - the stock ss seats let my thigh ride over the edge and I had sciatica pain. The zl1 seats force you to sit inside the bolster, so no issues there.

The SS was my winter car when I had my stingray, and it did well. I'm not sure the zl1 would be as good as a winter car. I bought an old fixer upper mini cooper for that duty this year.

Some say the zl1 is prettier, and I agree, but the ss was attractive too. I had the upgraded redline grill on mine.

Both of these cars are amazing. In my opinion, the 2ss camaro is the most bang for the buck car on the planet. They did an amazing job with that car, and I've owned 10+ mid priced sports cars in this price range (and lower). I've also tracked my z06 for several years, so this is the point of reference I'm coming from. I convinced my brother to buy a 2ss as well and he loves it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Sub; 01-30-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #55
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Michigan is a whole new world wrt insurance. Since OP is in Michigan, I think it is relevant. It is the worst state in the country for car insurance. Not going to get political, because this isn't the site for that, but just know that in Michigan you MUST be covered for unlimited medical claims. It is a heyday for ambulance chasers. I am 56, clean record, BUT....I have 2 under 21 in my household. My 6 month bill on the SS convertible is $2k with specific exclusions that nobody under 25 can drive it without me in it. The other cars were beyond ridiculous. A lot of energy to change the rule, which ONLY exists in Michigan, but insurance lobbyists are kicking ass in Lansing. Sorry....said I wasn't gonna get political.
62 and I live in mich- my insurance is about $ 900 for 6 months.... and thats damn good. ZL1- oh boy the cost was about 40 a month more.

My 2 cents is a SS with a 6sp manual is PLENTY fast. Michigan roads are so bad the extra power is mostly wasted.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #56
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I went back and forth a lot on an SS or ZL1. Really, I was trying to decide if I would be happy enough with the SS to pass on a Z.
I couldn't be happier with the Z.
A few things to consider based on other comments here:

I'm 6'4", 210lbs. I fit just fine in the Recaro's. They are a little snug, but in a good way. I know I am locked in. The only issue I have (not really an issue I guess) is it's a little uncomfortable to conceal carry in the Recaro's. They are snug enough that the holster digs into my side. I can live with it though. Also, I've had back surgery and I'm picky about my seats. I have no issues with the Recaro's in that regard.

The convertible Z doesn't have eLSD. There's no room with the additional underbody structural supports so you get a regular LSD.

Getting in and out takes a little more effort than I am used to with other cars. But, I don't really care. That was a total non-factor in my decision.

The A10 transmission will blow your mind. You can't go wrong there.

I don't know about 2018's, but getting a 17 ZL1 A10 convertible was a challenge. With only 304 ZL1 convertibles made in 17, I had to travel to get one (I live outside DC and had to go to Atlanta to get the car I wanted). Getting an SS should eliminate that problem.

All in all, if you can afford the Z then you can't go wrong with that choice. But, if the Z didn't exist, I would have gotten an SS and still have that big grin every time I drive.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote