Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
DIY'd my Borla Atak Axle-Back + Review

DIY'd my Borla Atak Axle-Back on my ZL1 1LE today.

I bought this one: 11925CFBA

The whole job took me about 2 hours. The instructions were aimed at a Camaro SS which is not a complaint at Borla since "technically" they don't sell the axle-back for the ZL1. So a fair amount of the instructions didn't make sense. Oh well...

Installation was really easy. Cutting my OEM exhaust was a small leap of faith but worth it.

One minor hiccup for me was that one of the pipe openings that fits over the cut oem pipe was bent slightly (blame UPS?) and I had to bend it back with a hammer to get it to fit. It cost me 10 minutes.

My thoughts:

Build Quality of the Borla Exhaust is excellent, better than OEM in my opinion. You can tell a lot of thought and care was put into the design. All welds were tidy and shiny.

Weight. I have not yet weighed my OEM suitcase but I can tell it's a fair amount heavier. I'm going to guess I shaved 20lbs?

Looks. The Carbon Fiber tips with the black anodized aluminum insets are incredible. I love it, its just the look I was going for. Anyone wondering if they should spring for the extra $, the answer is yes.

Sound. Its LOUD. If you think you need to go all the way from the cats or even headers to get loud, nope. I did headers, hi-flo cats, mid-pipes and mufflers on my last ZL1, so I know loud. Just this axle-back "ATAK" is louder! The videos do not do it justice. Once you get on it, its so loud you can't help but look around to make sure people are dropping to the floor due to some kind of battle.

At idle, it's a very nice throaty rumble just like you want for your muscle car.

At mild-mid throttle its ANGRY but the cops probably won't pull you over.

At heavy throttle it's shocking. The cops will probably pull you over.

At WOT, well... I just got dizzy with love. It's good! Exactly what this car needed.

All the above is in track mode.
Stealth mode is quieter but IMO stealth with the ATAK is about the same volume (maybe a little lower) but angrier than track mode with the stock exhaust.

CONS:
Price ? $2k just to have NPP valves is asking a lot but I definitely do not regret my purchase. Worth every penny.

One design flaw, err weakness, err potential weakness? The secondary outlets that are connected to the electronic valves, they are not welded to the muffler, they connect via a clamp. There is nothing but tightness of that clamp keeping that second tailpipe from drooping to the floor. I tightened the clamps down with more torque than my torque wrench could measure, but I think it'd be better if there was some kind of brace.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
Stormtrooper1le

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Good luck If you track your car- I already had 2 tips come off on track. Borla stood up and sent me another exhaust no questions asked however 3 tips are now loose.

If this is a daily or occasional drag strip car you will be fine but for a track enthusiast I dont know if I can recommend it for function.

Sound and looks are killer though!
Stormtrooper1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
Good luck If you track your car- I already had 2 tips come off on track. Borla stood up and sent me another exhaust no questions asked however 3 tips are now loose.

If this is a daily or occasional drag strip car you will be fine but for a track enthusiast I dont know if I can recommend it for function.

Are you talking about the drooping second tailpipe? If so then this confirms my theory...

I think I'll need to come up with some fix. I have a welding machine, maybe I could do a quick spot weld just to hold it in place.

Bummer.

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
For all the clamped bits, I think they recommend to put a tack weld on them? I really like the look of this one
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Those tips look nice on there.
What was in the instructions for an SS that didn't make sense for a ZL1?
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
dbb143

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Put same thing but NPP delete on mine and absolutely love it (saved $500 for not getting the valves, fyi)
dbb143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Sounds great and I really love those tips. I think I’d use a weld instead of the clamps on those tail pipes. Cheap insurance and too nice a system to worry about dropping a tail pipe.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post

Not to thread jack. Thanks for the heads up on this. Did you notice it happening due to the nut backing out / failing on the clamp? Maybe Loctite could be used as an extra insurance and to maintain the Borla warranty?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
gotswap

Curious, at that price point and the full system only being $600 more. Why not do the entire system?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
So one thing about the Borla exhaust system with NPP, their NPP valve has a tendency to fail. Plenty of threads on this. Mine failed, I sent them a video clip of the awful sound of a half opened valve, and they replaced it no questions asked for free.

That speaks to the customer service from Borla, but also to the fact that they KNOW this is an issue that they never quite got right.

The fact that that second pipe is held on via clamp (and not welded) is a good thing if you ever have to remove it for a failed valve. Chances are, unfortunately, you will
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Looks good, sounds good
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Curious, at that price point and the full system only being $600 more. Why not do the entire system?
It's $900 more: 140727CFBA

Maybe you were looking at the non-NPP version?

But even at only $900 difference, it's still a good question.

I decided to get the axle back because I can always add the mid-pipes and all that later if I want. Borla will sell you the parts separately and the cost difference is marginal.

At this point the only advantage would be the weight savings which is actually pretty important to me but I don't think my neighbors can handle any louder.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
So one thing about the Borla exhaust system with NPP, their NPP valve has a tendency to fail. Plenty of threads on this. Mine failed, I sent them a video clip of the awful sound of a half opened valve, and they replaced it no questions asked for free.

That speaks to the customer service from Borla, but also to the fact that they KNOW this is an issue that they never quite got right.

The fact that that second pipe is held on via clamp (and not welded) is a good thing if you ever have to remove it for a failed valve. Chances are, unfortunately, you will
Are you referring to the AFM valves mentioned in this thread?

The ZL1 doesn't have AFM, thats an SS thing.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #14
gotswap

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
It's $900 more: 140727CFBA

Maybe you were looking at the non-NPP version?

But even at only $900 difference, it's still a good question.

I decided to get the axle back because I can always add the mid-pipes and all that later if I want. Borla will sell you the parts separately and the cost difference is marginal.

At this point the only advantage would be the weight savings which is actually pretty important to me but I don't think my neighbors can handle any louder.

Is there a big difference in sound between the axle back and the full system?