Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
Jager ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
ZLE Bumper Bummer

Hey all new to the whole GM thing picked up a ZL1 1LE last month overall great car fun to drive and I have pretty few gripes. However ran into my first issue you could say, I was parked out in downtown dallas and some idiot decided today felt like a good day for a hit and run. I'm trying to find the part number for the rear bumper and from what I have gathered the actual bumper should be the same as any other camaro (with PDC) because the diffuser bolts on separately. I am looking to just completely replace the bumper because the plastic is cracked and warped and I dont really care to have bondo on a car like this.

I also was curious if anyone has torn down the front bumper as well and if you could shed some light on how everything disassembles, like if the canards unbolt or how they are secured to the bumper. More than likely I am going to repainting the front as well, compliments of a couple nasty rock chips I'm allready tired of looking at.

Threw a couple pictures as well of the damage and half ass repair I did to make it look somewhat better.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Jager ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
That sucks, looks a lot better nice job. I know it's cracked so probably requires a replacement, but I have an amazing mobile bumper repair guy who works magic and returns damage like this to like new condition for a fraction of a body shop or part replacement. It also saves down-time and inconvenience of going to a body shop.

If there is zero frame/metal damage this becomes a lot easier--maybe something was bent under there.

You might want to explore this to save a lot of money, but if your comprehensive fully covers it for little to no deductible go that route. When you use a mobile repair person, they have to be great and this level of talent can be hard to fund
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Is the plastic actually cracked or are there just spider cracks in the paint from the excessive flexing?

Many times, with these plastic bumpers, if they simply get caved in, you can pop them back into shape. Sometimes you need to use a heat gun to help the structure return to the molded shape - there is some "memory" there, and even warm sunlight over time can help a return to normal if untouched (depends on the extent of bending).

FYI, the ZL1 rear bumper, without the diffuser is basically the same as the other Camaro; however, because of the way the ZL1 diffuser attaches differently than the other Camaros (around/outside vs. under/inside), there is a different part number (the ZL1 rear bumper has holes around the side and the LS/LT/SS does not).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Jager ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Is the plastic actually cracked or are there just spider cracks in the paint from the excessive flexing?

Many times, with these plastic bumpers, if they simply get caved in, you can pop them back into shape. Sometimes you need to use a heat gun to help the structure return to the molded shape - there is some "memory" there, and even warm sunlight over time can help a return to normal if untouched (depends on the extent of bending).

FYI, the ZL1 rear bumper, without the diffuser is basically the same as the other Camaro; however, because of the way the ZL1 diffuser attaches differently than the other Camaros (around/outside vs. under/inside), there is a different part number (the ZL1 rear bumper has holes around the side and the LS/LT/SS does not).
Yea It is cracked in 3 places that would be rather tedious to repair I was about to get it back to about 80% of its orginal shape with a heat gun and boiling water but it seems a couple of places were warped and I dont think are going to go back to there original form. I found this bumper which claims to be for the ZL1 just trying to be through before I order anything.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
Old 02-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You going to use your insurance company and file a accident hit and run claim? That’s what I would do.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
Jager ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
You going to use your insurance company and file a accident hit and run claim? That’s what I would do.
I would do that but its not much more to out of pocket it and it avoids me having to ping my driving record or my carfax come resale time
Old 02-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager ZL1 View Post
Hey all new to the whole GM thing picked up a ZL1 1LE last month overall great car fun to drive and I have pretty few gripes. However ran into my first issue you could say, I was parked out in downtown dallas and some idiot decided today felt like a good day for a hit and run. I'm trying to find the part number for the rear bumper and from what I have gathered the actual bumper should be the same as any other camaro (with PDC) because the diffuser bolts on separately. I am looking to just completely replace the bumper because the plastic is cracked and warped and I dont really care to have bondo on a car like this.

Threw a couple pictures as well of the damage and half ass repair I did to make it look somewhat better.

Thanks in advance!
Damn man, that sucks. I’m finalizing my deal on my ZL1 Vert this Friday, and this would break my heart. I’m in Chicago, and is snowy and 12. I will likely be unable (and il advised) to drive it home until the 3nd of the month.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
I would do that but its not much more to out of pocket it and it avoids me having to ping my driving record or my carfax come resale time
Car fax, viable concern.

Ding on your driving record from a hit-&-run? Not so much.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 AM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
It's basically the same as an SS but you will notice that on all ZL1 models the rear diffuser comes higher behind the back wheels if you just get any bumper you will need to add holes for the diffuser to clip into..

the problem would be going from a Zl1 to and SS diffuser and having to fill exposed holes!

I ran into this before Andersons had a zl1 carbon diffuser I was just going to run an SS diffuser in carbon because that's all that was around at the time.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I have taken the front off. It is easy, just time consuming. Disassembly of the front is much more difficult.

On top of all the bolts/screws on the top and bottom, there are 7 behind the inner fender (on both sides) that hold the fascia to the fender. this is the easy part. Just take your time and look along the edges of the fascia.

The canards/dive planes are attached by clips, easy to remove. once the clips are all removed, pull up at the opening then out away from the fender.

The splitter comes off very easy once the clips are removed. It is better to remove the 3 bolts/screws that hold the vertical "winglets" on the splitter first.

the "impact" styrofoam and plastic cover come off together by 2 plastic square head screws, be careful.

The upper and lower grill are also held in by the same similar clips the canards/dive planes, as well as a few metal clips. you will need some trim tools to help get these off of the fascia. Then you will think it is going to break while removing them, it isn't easy.

The black air intakes on either corner are extremely hard to remove, at least mine were. So much so, I didn't take them off. crazy hard, didn't need to take them off, so I didn't.

It goes back together MUCH easier.

Take care to pay attention to what hex head screws/bolts are longer. I believe there are between 4 and 7 of these. I also think they are the ones that hold all the are "deflector" on the bottom, but just pay attention.

Have fun, take your time, have something to put all the clips and bolts in, there are lots! lol
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
I found this bumper which claims to be for the ZL1 just trying to be through before I order anything.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz
That's the correct pn, 84144493, for the '18 ZL1 rear fascia. You'll have to paint it
This is for an SS front fascia removal, but it is similar
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465648

As already said the bezels, the inlets for auxiliary coolers, are a PITA to remove