Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
bucknerbuck2

Drives: C7 Z51 M7
ZLE in addition to C7Z07?

Hi All - I am considering picking up a 2019 ZLE with M6.

My current toy car is a 2017 Z07 with manual, and I am definitely keeping that one.

Do any of your ZLE owners own an LT4 powered C7 also? I am worried that having two cars with same drivetrain is going to feel too similar.

I do intend on the ZLE being mostly a track toy but it will be street driven also.
bucknerbuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The ZLE is great, I love mine. But with the C8 on its way and the fact that you already own a Z07, if I were you I'd enjoy the Corvette and wait for the C8. The ZLE is easier to drive fast than the Z07, but both are rear biased beasts and both eat tires and brakes. The C8 will be more like a 911, where the lighter and more balanced platform results in lower running costs.

The C8 will be a big difference from your C7, the lighter weight and mid-engine design will consume tires and brakes less, and you'll have a sweet DCT.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
The C8 is actually heavier than the C7---base coupe to base coupe.
Chris357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
The ZLE is great, I love mine. But with the C8 on its way and the fact that you already own a Z07, if I were you I'd enjoy the Corvette and wait for the C8. The ZLE is easier to drive fast than the Z07, but both are rear biased beasts and both eat tires and brakes. The C8 will be more like a 911, where the lighter and more balanced platform results in lower running costs.

The C8 will be a big difference from your C7, the lighter weight and mid-engine design will consume tires and brakes less, and you'll have a sweet DCT.
Don't think for one second that the C8 won't eat set after set of back tires for breakfast lunch and dinner ...

Not a knock on the car, I plan to own one too ... I'm just setting expectations realistically
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Don't think for one second that the C8 won't eat set after set of back tires for breakfast lunch and dinner ...

Not a knock on the car, I plan to own one too ... I'm just setting expectations realistically
Does the C7 eat back tires? I assume C7 fronts go much faster like with the ZL1 where the rears last pretty long on my ZLE, the heavy LT4 and other weight in front puts crazy stress on the fronts.

I'm only talking about track time though, if you're driving on the street your rears may wear out first due to wheel slip, onramp burnouts etc. I track enough that I never had a chance to test that. Fronts last 2-3 days, rears 4-5 days.

With a mid engine layout I'm hoping the C8 has close to 50/50 balance and distributes wear more evenly.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
bucknerbuck2

Yeah C7 is 50/50 weight and C8 is about 61% rear biased if I remember correctly.

My issue with C8 is I’m not a base car guy. I like Z07’s and ZLE’s, and it’s going to be awhile before the C8 gets to those variants.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
While not exactly what you are asking, I have a C7 with an Eforce and a ZL1. I find that the cars are not the same at all. I enjoy driving them both.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I have a regular ZL1 and a Z07. I like both cars. If you feel the itch for the ZLE, go for it. It's a bad machine and a lot of fun to drive especially on the track. You won't be gaining much to anything over a M7 Z07 though, if you don't have any overheating issues. The Z07 can do everything the ZLE can and some things better. The DSSVs are an upgrade in track feel, but not so pleasant in street use. Don't worry about them feeling too similar. The seating position and feel of the Camaro is a lot different. The Corvette puts you lower and more in the middle, with a big bubble windshield and diving hood; combine all of this and you feel like you're a part of the car and it's tailor made around you. The Camaro in direct comparison feels bigger and the bulging hood and smaller windows give the driver a more tunnel vision feeling. I'm not hating on either car, I certainly feel the whole visibility "problem" of the Camaro is totally over blown, just like the "sketchy" feeling of the Z06 is. Either car can be learned to drive at the limits of yourself or the car, safely, and have a blast doing it.

Life's short, get what you want. I personally am also waiting on a C8 Z.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have owned a C7R ZO6 and a ZL1 1LE 6 speed.
The C7 would constantly overheat and go into limp mode at the track if the ambient was over 85 degrees. The rear was very unstable at the limit even with multiple rear suspension settings. Added a DSC suspension controller which helped but not the complete cure. Michelin Sport Cup tires needed a lot of heat to start working and did not wear well.
ZL1 1LE is the best track car stock for under $80K. Runs all day on 93 octane and never overheats. Rev match and no lift shift is the same as the C7. PDR same as the C7. Spool valve shocks are track magic. Not very comfortable on the street. Goodyear 3r tires are much better than the Sport Cups. You do need do do the track alignment in the owners manual for tire life. C7 weighed
3600 pounds stock. ZL1 1LE is 3800 pounds. Brakes are great stock. Lap times are about the same for both cars at my home track.
I like the Goodyears so much I am using them on my McLaren for track tires.

wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknerbuck2 View Post

My current toy car is a 2017 Z07 with manual, and I am definitely keeping that one.

Do any of your ZLE owners own an LT4 powered C7 also? I am worried that having two cars with same drivetrain is going to feel too similar.

I do intend on the ZLE being mostly a track toy but it will be street driven also.
I had a 2017 Z06 w/ Z07 Manual.
I had a 2018 ZLE Manual
I have a 2019 ZLE A10

I would not suggest spending the money on another LT4.
I'd focus on something with more contrast.

If it were me, I'd do this:
- Sell the Z06 w/ Z07.
- Buy a C7 Grand Sport Manual w/ Z07 for the track (light and nimbly -- the best handling Chevy product ever IMO, no supercharger over heat).
- Buy a ZL1 Non-1LE A10 for the street

Now you've got light and nimbly & comfortable grunty muscle.

If you don't mind a brutal ride and want that extra wow factor, then add 1LE to your ZL1 and you've got 2 track monsters.

My 2 cents

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
bucknerbuck2

Thanks guys, lots of interesting perspectives out there.

This started as a joke that if my wife wasn't on board with buying a boat, I was going to go toy-car shopping..she oddly likes the idea of a ZLE

It seems the 2019 leftovers the manuals are much more prevalent and I am only a buyer at sub $60k before tax. All of my fun cars have been manuals, and I know they are slower and blah blah blah...I love them. When I drive the Z06 I feel a majority of the pleasure on the street is rowing through the gears and not the 650 hp.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
bucknerbuck2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I have a regular ZL1 and a Z07. I like both cars. If you feel the itch for the ZLE, go for it. It's a bad machine and a lot of fun to drive especially on the track. You won't be gaining much to anything over a M7 Z07 though, if you don't have any overheating issues. The Z07 can do everything the ZLE can and some things better. The DSSVs are an upgrade in track feel, but not so pleasant in street use. Don't worry about them feeling too similar. The seating position and feel of the Camaro is a lot different. The Corvette puts you lower and more in the middle, with a big bubble windshield and diving hood; combine all of this and you feel like you're a part of the car and it's tailor made around you. The Camaro in direct comparison feels bigger and the bulging hood and smaller windows give the driver a more tunnel vision feeling. I'm not hating on either car, I certainly feel the whole visibility "problem" of the Camaro is totally over blown, just like the "sketchy" feeling of the Z06 is. Either car can be learned to drive at the limits of yourself or the car, safely, and have a blast doing it.

Life's short, get what you want. I personally am also waiting on a C8 Z.
Just re-read your post and see that you have a 427 vert also. Man thats the ultimate GM collection.
I have been half looking for a 427, but their values for clean cars have really held on. Hard to pay nearly the same money for a 6 year old C6 as a new ZLE!
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknerbuck2 View Post

I've driven both on the same track on the same day. This is just my opinion, but I don't see much point in owning both cars.

The biggest difference to me is the amount of available grip. The Z07 has better balance and is easier to drive quickly. The ZL1 1LE, while capable of similar lap times on paper, is going to make you work harder for it. It is heavier with more weight on the nose and, frankly, is a brute to drive on the track. That being said, the car is a friggin' blast to drive.

I was looking at both the Z07 and the ZL1 1LE before ultimately deciding on the ZL1 1LE because I felt it'd make me a better driver and it has a warranty.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote