Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #71
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychops View Post
idk guys
I bought my 2LT v6 6speed for under 25K new.
aftermarket support for the 4 will be better than the 6
But at some point there will be a turbo upgrade for the v6 which will put it in V8 territory power wise......you wont ever tune 455 horse from the 4 and make it a daily driver reliable.
Plus the added cost of premium fuel will add up to more than the price of the V6 by the time you pay it off at the bank.
25k is a pretty swinging deal, but I've seen turbo4 cars going for as low as 19-20 once they started blowing them out. Cheapest one I saw locally was 20.9k.

I think 400 wheel hp will be about as wild as a turbo4 will get and still keep it streetable without spending a butt load on forged rods/pistons. Yeah, the LGX may get a supercharger, or TT kit eventually, big figure on spending 6-10k depending on where it comes from and if you can do your install yourself, or if you have to pay a shop to do it... I bet I'll get my 400hp for less than 3k in mods.

Your point of premium fuel is kind of a moot point. If you put a supercharger/turbo kit on a v6 car, it's going to need premium fuel... It may not be, but when I had my 5th gen LFX, to even get it to run what I felt was WELL at best, I had to mid at least mid-grade fuel or better. It ran like crap on regular.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #72
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Everybody knows the turbo is a kick butt car and the Camaro is a smokng hot car especially in black.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #73
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Everybody knows the turbo is a kick butt car and the Camaro is a smokng hot car especially in black.
+1000, black is the best
Little known fact: Black is faster than red... We just don't brag as much
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #74
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
+1000, black is the best
Little known fact: Black is faster than red... We just don't brag as much
Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #75
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
$6500 NH quoted sounds low. A very good friend of mine had her 2000 V6 Camaro twin turbocharged many years ago. She went with an extremely reputable LSx shop that cut her a great many breaks. Her kit looks factory and does not displace a single factory item. That took major work. She paid them over $12k USD. That was just the turbo parts and fab work. Did not include fuel system, trans, converter, driveshaft, rear, all of which needed to be upgraded. When you go that route, you're truly putting yourself into a world of hurt. You will end up nickle and diming yourself to the poor house!
I'm just quoting what the Fabberge TT for the LFX 5th Gen and IPF SC cost for just parts I won't get into labor and any fabrication beyond that. But I agree you'd be looking at close to 10k+ in labor and parts for it.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #76
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Quote:
Your point of premium fuel is kind of a moot point. If you put a supercharger/turbo kit on a v6 car, it's going to need premium fuel... It may not be, but when I had my 5th gen LFX, to even get it to run what I felt was WELL at best, I had to mid at least mid-grade fuel or better. It ran like crap on regular.
Right. I remember renting a V6 5th gen and I hated how it felt bogged down on regular gas. Second leg of the trip I used premium and it finally came to life. That memory was a large reason i chose the turbo over the V6.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #77
ChrisG33

Drives: 2.0t Camaro
I bought the 4cyl because of this cobalt ss lnf turbo with $700 worth of mods (very similar to what's in the camaro). v8s only had a chance if they were moded.
Attached Images

ChrisG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #78
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Ya the Turbo 4 Camaro responds very well to basic bolt-ons. There is slight downtuning in the overdrive gears without an aftermarket tune. Gonna go ahead and say bye bye warranty sometime this spring. Hoping for 325 RWHP with the tune but i'll be happy with anything over 300 honestly knowing how little it took to get to 300 on this car as opposed to a 5th Gen V6 I get a permagrin everytime I get asked what it does at the gas pump.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #79
Zyoder

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
About a month after selling my 16 2.0.

I will say im starting to miss it, but I think next time around I would go with the v6 if not even at that point wait for the 8cyl...dont get me wrong I thought my 2.0 was quick but, there were some downsides.

My reasons for not wanting the 2.0 would have to be

1) Whenever someone asks hey wants under the hood, you have to say a 2liter turbo and the face they make is like in words "oh... so it only looks cool but is like a regular car"
2) The sound, I work for a dealership and I can tell ya, the 4cyl sounds mediocre compared to the 6cyl and the 8. Obviously its not going to sound like an 8, but the 6 even has an excellent sound to it for only 1500 more.
3) Premium gas, gosh where I live its like 80cents more for prem seriously adds up, in the long term I calculated it out and the cost of the v6 would have broke even at around 50k miles, not to mention the resale value of the v6s will most def be better than the 4cyl, and probably more reliable considering na vs forced induction.
4) I will not go with another automatic camaro if I get one the future, no ifs and buts about it, to get a car that costs 1500 bucks less, more fun (lsd) and actual launch capabilities rather than having to just floor it on D would be way better.

oh well just my 0.02, I loved it while I had it but i also realized not to settle next time around. I`m also crazy and wanting everything perfect and every nick and scratch had me going nuts, not having a car that I have to worry about door dings or scratches is certainly nice but next time around when im ready I wont settle for the lower upfront cost and wait and save to get (in my eyes) the better camaro.
Zyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #80
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyoder View Post
About a month after selling my 16 2.0.

I will say im starting to miss it, but I think next time around I would go with the v6 if not even at that point wait for the 8cyl...dont get me wrong I thought my 2.0 was quick but, there were some downsides.

My reasons for not wanting the 2.0 would have to be

1) Whenever someone asks hey wants under the hood, you have to say a 2liter turbo and the face they make is like in words "oh... so it only looks cool but is like a regular car"
2) The sound, I work for a dealership and I can tell ya, the 4cyl sounds mediocre compared to the 6cyl and the 8. Obviously its not going to sound like an 8, but the 6 even has an excellent sound to it for only 1500 more.
3) Premium gas, gosh where I live its like 80cents more for prem seriously adds up, in the long term I calculated it out and the cost of the v6 would have broke even at around 50k miles, not to mention the resale value of the v6s will most def be better than the 4cyl, and probably more reliable considering na vs forced induction.
4) I will not go with another automatic camaro if I get one the future, no ifs and buts about it, to get a car that costs 1500 bucks less, more fun (lsd) and actual launch capabilities rather than having to just floor it on D would be way better.

oh well just my 0.02, I loved it while I had it but i also realized not to settle next time around. I`m also crazy and wanting everything perfect and every nick and scratch had me going nuts, not having a car that I have to worry about door dings or scratches is certainly nice but next time around when im ready I wont settle for the lower upfront cost and wait and save to get (in my eyes) the better camaro.
If your not modding the V6 is the right area for most. But your 3rd reason is troubling to anyone who knows these cars especially if you work at a dealership. You should always use premium fuel 91+ in these cars no matter 4, 6 or 8. Sure it says you can use regular but you'll pull timing and it will feel more sluggish without premium. It's part of paying to play.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #81
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
Paxton on a V6 sounds wonderful
400+ horse would be nice for 5K.
Ill be very intererested after the warranty runs out.
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #82
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychops View Post
Paxton on a V6 sounds wonderful
400+ horse would be nice for 5K.
Ill be very intererested after the warranty runs out.
Sounds wonderful but if the V6 5th Gen Aftermarket is any indication your not going to be happy.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #83
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Sounds wonderful but if the V6 5th Gen Aftermarket is any indication your not going to be happy.
Ding ding ding! And $5k is a woeful underestimate of how much it would cost to get a aftermarket supercharger running on a V6 car.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #84
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Ding ding ding! And $5k is a woeful underestimate of how much it would cost to get a aftermarket supercharger running on a V6 car.
Your looking on the polite side at about $8-9k but as some things are more expensive on the 6th Gen that price will only go higher.