Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
MiBowtie

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Your Camaro Sucks!

This a term that I have heard more than once. Sometimes people say it nicely and sometimes they say it just like I wrote the headline.

I love my 6th gen 1lt RS 4 cylinder. In fact, I choose the 4 cylinder over the 6. I like the power including the 275 hp and 295 lbs of torque and I like the lighter weight front ends handling. Of course, an extra mile or 2 in the mpg's was an added benefit.

The problem is that all of my friends, including Camaro owners and non Camaro owners, look at the Camaro as a car that should have a V8 and at the very least a V6 under the hood.

No matter how much I try and explain the benefits of the 4 cylinder it doesn't do much good.

I know that I could offer to race some of these people and I know that I could just not care, but I am no longer into racing and I love my Camaro and think that it deserves more respect.

How does everyone else handle this situation? Thanks
MiBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
F*@ck them. Its your car, not theirs. Tell them to go sit on their thumbs.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
These are your friends? Maybe you need some new friends . . .
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
VinceK

Drives: 2019 6.2L V8 SS
Anyone saying "it should at least have a V6" sounds like someone driving a V6 who is insecure about their decision. Those saying it should have a V8, they're not really wrong - I like the V8 as much as I like my I4.

Though, I was quoted well north of $40,000 for an SS with comparable options to my vehicle (premium sound, etc). With an I4, coming stock with forced induction, you are able to make a car faster than the SS for a good amount under this price tag (~$5,500 will net you a CAI, hot+cold pipes, intercooler, larger TB, meth kit, down pipe, upgraded turbo, 8 credits to mod your ECM/TCM through HPT, a tune through a reputable source, and an interface).

Your situation is a rough one, can't really let the car talk for you if you don't want to line up with someone. Much easier to just let the car talk for you - anyone driving a stock V8 is going to be far more upset they lost to your modded I4 than you ever could get from being told your car sucks.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
You have to remember the people who would say those things, are simply conforming to the popular opinion modern society has deemed acceptable.

They are not thinking for their selves, or are un educated on the subject.

It's no different than back in the day when a guy showed up to the track in a "small" block V8. Everyone was like "Big Block, straight axle" or die..
When the LS V8's really started mopping the floor with everything, the popular opinion changed hard the other direction.

This is still a new concept, most people don't even realize they offer a 4 cylinder in a Camaro yet..

Forced induction small cube engines are the future. You have a head start, the V8 or DIe guys will be playing catch-up. I wouldn't sweat it. 5 years ago I would have never dreamed of owning a 4 cylinder RWD, much less a Camaro with a 4 cylinder.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Never worry what other people say or about their happiness it’s yours that counts.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
MiBowtie

Thanks, guys for the advice.

Vince, you are right, we made a good decision and have a car that is just as good - actually better. Like I said previously I choose it over the 6 cylinders. In fact, I couldn't even believe it for myself when I test drove it. The minute I first got it out on the road I was sold. I remember back to the last time that Chevy put the 4 cylinder in the Camaro. It was the Iron Duke and it sucked, but my car is so fast and so nimble that its nothing like that. All I tell people who are uneducated is to drive the car and then speak.

And Cooper you are right, they are uneducated. Our type of engine is going to be the way of the future. Look at the engine that Chevy came out with yesterday for the Silverado.

I guess the engine is just not accepted yet. I just don't like having to defend and explain it - it is just way too good. Last night some guy that I met at a car show said to me "I guess the dealer was glad that you took it off of his hands" when he realized that I had a 4 cylinder. He was being nice but just seemed kind of stupid. I am usually pretty forward, but he took me off guard and I didn't want to create an incident.

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
How the masses conform oh so well, i remember when all we had were the V6 and V8 engines the same idiots would say a V6 doesn't belong in a camaro. Now they found the I4 to shit on eventhough thru and thru it's better then the V6 in every aspect except sound. Next you'll hear top end power but that can be rememdied with tuning and let me tell you the V6 platform suffers from the same tuning issue the I4s do and they have maybe a 3rd of our aftermarket. You made a good decision your friends are idiots i hear that shit line from all kinds of grocery getter drivers with cheap cars who will drop the line i used to have this or that. It's put up or shut up and 95% of the time they can't put up.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #9
MiBowtie

Thanks, Evil Bee - I am thrilled with my choice! I love my car and it is just so much fun. I would just like a bit more respect, but you are right, they didn't like the V6 at one point and as Cooper1965 mentioned they didn't like the small block. I am not into racing any longer so that is not an option. I am just going to sit back and enjoy driving my Camaro!

And thanks to everyone who posted - you are a great group of guys with beautiful cars!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
alfasteve

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LS 2.0T 6sp
I had a '14 Cadillac ATS with the 2.0T and automatic. Loved the car! Easily got 29-31mpg on the road. Wasn't a big transition to consider my new '18 2.0T with manual. Just tell folks it's geared towards the tuner crowd, think GTI, WRX, BR-Z. It has broadened its appeal, and is a great contender, and certainly the best looking. I drove the auto V6 as well, and it was an easy choice to get the higher torque 2.0T. 30+ mpg seals the deal.
alfasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 AM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWP View Post
Thanks, guys for the advice.

Vince, you are right, we made a good decision and have a car that is just as good - actually better. Like I said previously I choose it over the 6 cylinders. In fact, I couldn't even believe it for myself when I test drove it. The minute I first got it out on the road I was sold. I remember back to the last time that Chevy put the 4 cylinder in the Camaro. It was the Iron Duke and it sucked, but my car is so fast and so nimble that its nothing like that. All I tell people who are uneducated is to drive the car and then speak.

And Cooper you are right, they are uneducated. Our type of engine is going to be the way of the future. Look at the engine that Chevy came out with yesterday for the Silverado.

I guess the engine is just not accepted yet. I just don't like having to defend and explain it - it is just way too good. Last night some guy that I met at a car show said to me "I guess the dealer was glad that you took it off of his hands" when he realized that I had a 4 cylinder. He was being nice but just seemed kind of stupid. I am usually pretty forward, but he took me off guard and I didn't want to create an incident.

Thanks again.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Why would you care what the hell anyone thinks? You obviously bought what you bought to suit your wants and needs. Maybe if you are hung up on it bad enough, as it would seem from this thread, you are regretting your decision in the first place. For myself, I could never understand people who want to buy something lessor then try to just it to themselves or others by saying things like in this thread. "Oh, it'cheaper than the V8" and turn around and say "I can mod it to make it faster than the V8" which cost money to do so. The camaro is a performance car. People know this. That why you get these questions. Its always been that way. People will always question why someone would get the least performance in a car that's sole existence is performance. No sense loosing sleep over it. Enjoy your gas mileage. Gas prices are going up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #13
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Easy day tell them to line it up. Talk is cheap, but gapping someone in my base model Camaro is priceless
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #14
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
It's a never ending story....but that's okay!!

People will always critique and conform that what the masses think or what they hear. I have been made fun of and/or 21 questioned why the I4? I’m at the point in my life that at 32, driving roughly 500 miles per week to and from work, and a baby on the way; yeah I think the I4 was a good choice. Plus, like everyone here has already stated in their responses, it’s “Your Car” and you should enjoy it. V8’s are bitchin and V6’s sound pretty nice, but how often do you give the car hell or track it? If you are like me and the Camaro is a daily driver then the factors about the purchase decision is much more in depth than just wanting to buy a Camaro. I may never get the chance to tune mine or modify it since I’m already at 60K miles and the car is a 16’. She may fall apart by the time I have the extra chips to do stuff to her and/or have more little ones and need to buy something different entirely. Point is, enjoy your Camaro, drive it and drive it hard, and don’t explain yourself to anyone. Best of luck with your car, Godspeed and be safe out there.

EagleRS
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote