Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #1
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Leaking Multimatic struts

So I have a ZLE that I run about three times a year at Sebring as well as other tracks. Got through with a track day a couple weekends ago and was checking the car over and found two leaking front struts as well as a leaking motor mount. I know that Sebring is hard on cars but are the multimatic struts that delicate. This will be my second driver side strut, are others having this issue?

Thanks
Doug
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:39 PM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Is it grease out of the vent or leaking somewhere else? I know that small amounts of grease out of the vent is "normal."
Old 05-02-2024, 06:08 PM   #3
BanOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Is it grease out of the vent or leaking somewhere else? I know that small amounts of grease out of the vent is "normal."
One side is leaking out the vent the other seems to be coming from the bottom. I had not heard that a bit of leaking from the vent is normal, I had one replaced already when it was leaking from the vent.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:03 PM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Grease leaking from the sintered brass vent at the bottom is normal. There is a service bulletin on it.

See this thread for more info:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580907
Old 05-03-2024, 02:29 PM   #5
BanOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Grease leaking from the sintered brass vent at the bottom is normal. There is a service bulletin on it.

See this thread for more info:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580907
Thanks I knew I had seen something about it. It is at the dealer right now having them look at it and they confirmed the leaks and said they are recommending replacement of both shocks and both motor mounts, but they have to wait for an inspector since it is part of GM's extended warranty. Motor mounts are covered under powertrain warranty. So we will see what the inspector says. I do believe one is what is referred to as the normal grease coming from the vent (driver side), the passenger side however had oil around the bottom of the damper, I think that one is more likely shot although I was not hearing any thumping as has been reported by others.

Wondering if I need to retire the car from track days to keep the wear and tear off it. Such a shame since it is so good.