Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Ockid

Drives: 2016 4 cylinder 2.0t
Racechip

Has anyone used the Racechip tuner before? Is there a noticeable difference? when you plug it in, can you take it out so the dealer can’t read it? So it basically is not tuned
Ockid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
read the forums. plenty of good info here. short answer is yes and yes.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
jbmorris1987

Drives: 2017 2.0 summit white
Racechip review

Jason from jacfab has a good review of them on this forum and also a YouTube video review as well
jbmorris1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Yeah watch Jason's video review for sure. It's in the RaceChip thread on this forum. The 2019s have a small issue that RaceChip is upgrading their units for, but prior to 2018 it's flawless. Go for it.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
wookwook

Basically there is not a whole heck of a lot to the RaceChip. Its an auxillary ECU that clips between the 3 signal circuits of the car. Different car brands have different connection vectors. And different results.

Some prefer to denounce it as a mere "piggy back". I am sure it is intelligently designed. And it works - well - for our car. You have to use 93 octane.

For me - With temps rising, RS chip setting 6 is too hot, and I have the option to dial it back to eliminate ping, with a twist of the knob. Now on 4 or 5.

You definitely can add some of the "better" bolt on after mods. I am one of a few of us on here who are active as Racechippers, modding and tinkering.

You should monitor and research desired mods if they will generally throw a code, most people report that. I am testing the limits of code-freeness as a RC user. Its fun I am enjoying my findings and others might benefit.

I personally suggest the RS and the XLR pedal add-on.

As of this review- The GTS is a little suspect, and I am surprised I have to mention it because the RS works so well. The GTS experienced sudden cut outs for no apparent reasons. RS has been flawless. Also I think the 7/7 on GTS is probably too hot of a setting for US market because we only have 93 octane here, maybe 94. I think the RS is a good fit for our market.

Be aware that the licensing model (discourages) prevents you from selling it to a 3rd party because the "reactivation" is fee based.

That said above, I am curious if you can actually install it on another car, but will have no support I am guessing.

Other than that, I haven't found a reason to knock it. It is truly plug and play- yes there are caveats anyone should really take the time to read up on their website.

Warranty? - who really knows the implications. No ones reported any issues as far as I can tell. I am sure if there were, we would know. Yes you can revert your car back to original.

That said, will the factory/dealership "look for" things to disqualify some claim? Its all subjective and no one really knows. That said, On-star is recording everything our car is blabbing just about everything going on with it. Yeah, that's the fine print. You are part of a data sharing platform. Just the same way your PC and phone apps are.

But that's another discussion.

Bang for the buck factor. Great. It does make the car much more solid feeling under the hood.

With out going off topic, like I said, its a very straight forward plug on. I find it really gives the car a MUCH more enjoyable response without the ECU alterations to be concerned (so much) about.

Totally recommend the RS and XLR combo.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
wookwook

One important ramification of using a removable plug in that no one seems to have brought up is resale and disclosure. A chip tuned car is easy to spot, and an ECU rewritten one is not. As a tuner would you disclose that your car has had an ECU tune, or even to subsequent buyers who will unknowingly acquire a car that has been "tampered" with. Legal issues are real. Not trying to be a buzz kill, but someone who has had a tune, and perhaps tooled it around may be crossing the line if that is not disclosed. Isn't a modded ECU a selling point you might ask? It just depends, but I am suspecting it will give you a smaller market to move your car to unless you are content to trade it back to a dealer. So I am just bringing up the point. Modding your ECU isn't for everyone. I think I would have an easier time selling my car with an optional Race Chip. I could demonstrate the before and after on a test drive. And it would be true fact that the ECU is still stock. Just sayin. If your going to write the ECU that is fine, but be aware that down the road, you may be in for more depreciation than expected. Mods are pure expenses, not equity builders. One of the first things my bs-o-meter translates is "ridden hard". And that my friends is not modded, just well cared for and tastefully appointed.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
18i4m6

Drives: 2018 I4 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Totally recommend the RS and XLR combo.

I really appreciated that detailed write up, it's a solid summary of everything I've put together so far and included new information that just the RS would be enough. It's one of my final mods, maybe they'll have bluetooth support for it by then.

Tinted/blackout paint everywhere/debadged
Catted Mishimoto downpipe
Mishimoto CAI
MBRP V6 axleback exhaust
Jacfab/BNR Boostolator
Racechip RS
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's

Onstar tracking removal - pending
18i4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
As of this review- The GTS is a little suspect, and I am surprised I have to mention it because the RS works so well. The GTS experienced sudden cut outs for no apparent reasons. RS has been flawless. Also I think the 7/7 on GTS is probably too hot of a setting for US market because we only have 93 octane here, maybe 94. I think the RS is a good fit for our market.
You've had issues with your GTS? Contact the guys at RaceChip right away...they had to upgrade the firmware on mine.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
wookwook

YEah - and really owing to the info on hand and esp yours, zts, I was able to decide that the RS is good.. Yall have to remember that the high settings are indeed very high sprung. They can go "over" an optimal limit and you gotta listen to make sure your not pinging. As temps get hot, your gonna ping on 93 or 94 octane on the higher settings, pulling hard. I believe there is higher octane gas overseas, and they could leverage the higher octane and be fine.

Its all about matching the compression point with the correct crank angle. If you ignite too soon ur losing power and exposing your innards to abuse. Like peddling a bike crank. Taller is not always not necessarily where you want to be. I rolled my RS back to 4 and waiting for the nkg 6510s to come in with .0275" and try it on 5 again.

After the thrill wears off, which will take a while you will be content to run in a safer setting like 4 or 5 until ... probably for the hot months anyways. You really wont loose anything of significance because your timing will be better matched to the actual environment on 4 or 5. Six or 7 on GTS is hot hot hot.

As I learn more I am thinking about at least starting to learn do data logging.

Again you don't have to be a rocket scientist to love RC.. Just be aware it is really possible to push your car too hard on the timing advance. When you read the packaging they State that "4" is suitable for most people. Believe it and be content. if possible. 5 was good in the 40's and 50's but in the 70s and above degrees, your likely to pre-detonate. Its not the tuner's fault, you are just asking for more than the chemistry and physics can do.

If you were to go to support with this, that is the first response - "please back it off and try again". I think its on posty that they copy and paste in the email.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I feel like...what's the point? You spend like $500 on a racechip to trick the car into making more boost. I'd much rather put that money into a down-pipe and a real tune.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I mean adding more boost is what an RPM Tune does and them tunes are flawless.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #12
wookwook

true and true. no question, being able to access your ecu is grand. Or $350 for a legal DP + $700 to the tuner and double that if you want to play along with your own hp tuner. For me personally its not a problem. I can play along and at some point- I think I probably will be ready to invest the time and attention. I happen to have priorities ahead of my car at the moment.

If any one knows of any app that will do a boutique edit for under the example $500 I would love to hear. On the other hand what I mentioned above is valid for many starters and that should not be a casual so what. I think I speak for a lot of other on lookers when I say there is a certain amount of tone deafness to any possibility other than ecu tuning from the community. In fact I am more than sure, I get PMs because they are probably afraid that they will be made to look like an ass if they ask online. You don't need an ecu tune if you are just getting familiar with performance mods. Sure it would be an advantage to get in there and change things if you know what your are doing.

I am sorry if I disagree with remapping being unpure. I am pretty certain that RC is a gateway for many to grasp the potential and some will go on to tuning. I just wish there was more of discussion on the merits and real conversasion on the difference other than the disparaging commentary. Tuning the ecu is very complex. RC is very convenient. It is unlikely that the vast majority of people will go on to adjust the tune when then conditions change. Or be content with a one-time safe tune good for all extremes that is pretty limited. One merit of the RC is that you can in fact, dial it up or down depending on the environment.

That said, with an RC to start, you can still add the basic BOLT ONS - and benefit from those things that also are hugely impactful of the overall performance on this platform.

So? Lets get it going. Just convince me to send a click to the tuners and star that ball rolling. What makes it so great? One thing I am aware of is the ability to quash cels when the ecu sees a variance to report. You can get more precise factors for today's track day use absolutely. If you are a builder - its an essential tool. Why should I - average Joe on the forums get a real tune? How will it make me sleep better at night? Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
In the end it's all personal preference long term i feel the investment in a true tune is worth more. Short term the race chip is fine but i haven't seen anyone use it for a full year in all conditions or for a full track weekend maybe someone with it will go do a full CFest track day, autox and dragstrip then we'd really see how it may be able to shine.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
wookwook

I would be one to disappoint EB. I was hoping to break through 6's and 14's last night but no go. Others where also complaining of wet traction at the strip. The new NKGs did settle down the perceived ping. I am really curious about whats going on inside so I hope to look into logging at some point soon.