Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #141
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Is that a trade secret? Is it a nugget you would be willing to share with the group?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
He's almost certainly tying in to the stock sensors and when they detect a bump in IAT or some other variable he basically sets the ignition advance to zero. If that happens fast enough and the driver responds appropriately by immediately letting off the throttle then everything's peachy.

I'd personally still probably just upgrade at least the less expensive of the fuel pumps as well though.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #142
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
He's almost certainly tying in to the stock sensors and when they detect a bump in IAT or some other variable he basically sets the ignition advance to zero. If that happens fast enough and the driver responds appropriately by immediately letting off the throttle then everything's peachy.

I'd personally still probably just upgrade at least the less expensive of the fuel pumps as well though.
Relying on the human factor to pull through. But he did say that they would notice and take action, hopefully.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #143
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Relying on the human factor to pull through. But he did say that they would notice and take action, hopefully.
Even if the driver took a moment to realize they needed to let off the loud pedal, with the timing dropped to nill (assuming that's what is happening) things are much safer anyway. You can still hurt the engine, but the driver would have to be a real moron to make that happen I would think.

Newer meth systems also have some electronics built in that can warn the driver with a LED or activate solenoids etc. You just have to make sure you've installed everything properly and tested it.

I've got about 3 weeks of experience with water/meth injection with the 4Runner and so far I'm very pleased. It was my only choice there as I mentioned though. With the Camaro we have other options, just depends on what solution the owner prefers.

I use -20 washer fluid with a 12oz bottle of Heet added. You HAVE to use the plain jane blue washer fluid with no additives or detergents. You'll know you have the right stuff if you shake the bottle and the suds immediately disperse. The MSDS sheet on -20 says it's 30% methanol. If you're lucky enough to have -35 in your area it's closer to 45%. Heet is 99% methanol. You can mix your own if you can find pure methanol in you're area. It's mixed by WEIGHT not volume. A 50/50 mix by weight is the preferred mix.

I did the math last night and -20 washer fluid with 12oz of Heet added comes out to 35% methanol. It's cheap and working for my application so that's where I'll stay. I found a race shop that sells 5gallon pails of methanol for about $36, but you have to be conscious about storage as it will absorb moisture and is very flammable as well.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #144
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
I mean......if I spent all this money going F/I

I literally cannot fathom how anyone could just run out of meth.
You would be surprised....

I have had a customer call me that was out racing and goes "dude the tunes got something wrong with it, it just laid over and won't restart"

I drive out there, only to find.... he had run it out of GAS!

Think about that for a moment, he was out racing beating on it with a tank super crazy low, to the point of running it dead empty during a WOT pull. Imagine how lucky he is to even have a motor at this point. LOL.

My rule of thumb, never push on the "loud pedal" with less then 1/4 tank.

Quote:
Is that a trade secret? Is it a nugget you would be willing to share with the group?
Not really.

Every tuner has his ways of doing things. I don't care to get into an internet debate on whats the best, or wrong or right. I know what works for me, been using it for 15 years now, all good.

Quote:
When the nose of the car drops, and you feel like your foot came off the gas.
You will notice. LOL. Now if a person stays in the throttle....well then, they should have the car removed from them, and start a new hobby like stamp collecting.

A person always has to remember to "respect the power" and understand how it feels when everything is perfect, to know that when something doesn't "feel right"... it usually means it isn't.

Thankfully thats rare these days, but you never know.
Even "bad gas" does happen. (way way way more often then "bad meth" lol)
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #145
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
Even "bad gas" does happen. (way way way more often then "bad meth" lol)
Hahahaha. I think that depends on what form of meth you're talking about. Sorry way off topic!
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #146
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Hahahaha. I think that depends on what form of meth you're talking about. Sorry way off topic!
I cook meth every day...prank call, prank call.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #147
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
I cook meth every day...prank call, prank call.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #148
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
The only alcohol I want in my Camaro is a case of wine in the trunk!
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #149
ProCharger

Quote:
TRUTH! LOL
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #150
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
One subject that was not covered here is the point of injection for both PD and Centri systems.

For the Centri it is most likely placed after the IC, is it on the charge pipe or the intake manifold?

But for PDīs where is the right spot, before the SC on the intake pipe? Doesn't that bring possible corrosion on the SC head unit?

Also, is the T.B. subject to corrosion from the Meth?
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #151
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
One subject that was not covered here is the point of injection for both PD and Centri systems.

For the Centri it is most likely placed after the IC, is it on the charge pipe or the intake manifold?

But for PDīs where is the right spot, before the SC on the intake pipe? Doesn't that bring possible corrosion on the SC head unit?

Also, is the T.B. subject to corrosion from the Meth?
Mine is in the procharger tube going to the throttle body.

The meth being sprayed into a PD blower has been a topic of discussion for a long time. When I worked at Magnuson, I had seen several instances where the abradable coating on the rotors was cleaned off by the meth. When that happens, it can affect the effectiveness of the rotors.

As far as the TB, I would think the meth would keep it cleaner....
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #152
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyNFG View Post
As far as the TB, I would think the meth would keep it cleaner....
You are correct !
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #153
ProCharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyNFG View Post
When I worked at Magnuson, I had seen several instances where the abradable coating on the rotors was cleaned off by the meth. When that happens, it can affect the effectiveness of the rotors.

Funny, there are MANY people that swear that doesn't happen.

Yet, I have seen it happen with my own eyes.

Glads to see someone "in the know" says it can happen
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #154
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
Heres one thread that still exists. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...with-meth.html

From what I understood, Jerry Magnuson was strongly against it. Perhaps the new owners changed the coating and made it withstand more? #IdunnoImjustagirl
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote