#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #85
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I agree, in my mind it's pretty much guaranteed that both Z cars will outrun the GT350R. With the ZL1 its more of a question of how long can it keep it up before heatsoke becomes an issue. And for the Z/28 it WILL murder the GT350R, no questions asked, the question is what the price will be. Hopefully it comes in around $65-70k, we don't need a replay of the 5th gen where they flew off the lots at first but after a while (and still today) nobody will buy them.
my question on the Z/28 is where does it fit in now.

last gen it was the ultimate road course Camaro. Does it fit inbetween the 1LE and ZL1 or will it be above the the ZL1 in terms of lap times?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #86
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

last gen it was the ultimate road course Camaro. Does it fit inbetween the 1LE and ZL1 or will it be above the the ZL1 in terms of lap times?
Here is what I hope it turns out to be (most likely will not happen this way haha).

As far as lap times go I think it will still be above the ZL1, but here's where I think it should fit in the big picture.

I think the ZL1 and Z/28 should basically be side-by-side at the top of the camaro food chain. They should be priced similarly but have completely different roles. The ZL1 is your big power, grand touring, track capable beast. Where the Z/28 is the Track monster that is capable of being a DD but it's far from practical. I think chevy could easily price it closer to the ZL1 this time around and that's what needs to happen for them to sell well. With the ZL1 starting at $62k I think it is reasonable to hope for a Z/28 with base MSRP of under $70k. But that's in my perfect world and probably won't happen haha
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #87
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

With the massive aero and even bigger tires, I bet the 6th gen Z/28 will tear up corners. The biggest question mark is what's under the hood. If it has the LT4, it will be a monster, as long as they keep temps in check. If it has an LT6 making low to mid 500s, it won't be a fast in the straights but will be lighter and not as prone to heat soak.

I think either way, it will beat the ZL1 on a track due to aero, brakes and probably some weight reduction.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #88
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Don't forget the Carbon Fiber wheels. Thats a huge advantage too. Essentially the 1LE is having to run around with ankle weights on in comparison.
Nothing is stopping anyone from slapping Carbon Fiber wheels on the 1LE. Of course, there goes the entire benefit of buying the 1le, as it would suck up the $15k advantage the 1le has.

Quote:
So this may be a tad off topic but how much extra power do you guys think the GT PP would need to make up that 9.8sec gap to the 1LE at VIR???

I ask this because a friend of mine just got a GT PP for $32k and says all he has to do is drop a pro charger in and will keep up with me for still less money. I think he will need a lot more power than he thinks to keep up haha
Keep in mind, those numbers were with different drivers and different days. They are great for a quick comparison, but they quite possible could be greatly off in either direction.

As far as keeping up, some springs/shock, tires and the performance pack 3 should get him 95% there.

A procharger on a coyote is going to kick your ass up and down the road in a straight line though. 1 lap around a track would more than make up the difference. Heat soak is a bitch though.

Quote:
the GT if it ever wants to catch up to a 1LE, is probably going to need a much more aggressive suspension package, tire package, and probably some more power.
Indeed, and after all of that...it would be rewarded with a much harsher ride. Magnaride sounds like a beautiful thing.

[QUOTE=Thor142;9302239]
Quote:

I only brought up the ZL1 cause fanboy said "it's not Fords fault they dropped a different engine in it" (meaning the GT 350) SO I said ok then it's the same class as a ZL1, it's not chevy's fault they dropped a different engine in it.
Supercharged VS NA. They are in a different classification. A hellcat and GT350 aren't direct competitors for the very same reason. You will get some cross shoppers looking purely for exclusivity, but the GT350 is an naturally aspirated track oriented street car.

There doesn't always have to be a direct competitor, sometimes there just isn't. When they decide to release the new GT500, that spot will be filled.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #89
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I'm actually very interested to see just what the Z/28 is this gen.

My money says it's gonna be a hardcore version of the ZL1, which I understand will make a lot of purists very sad. However, without all the dedicated goodies the 5th gen z had it may come in very competitively priced this time.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #90
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Drives: M1SS1LE
The SS 1LE Narrowly Beat the M4 GTS On Laguna Seca as per Motortrend....!
Sham001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #91
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
Nothing is stopping anyone from slapping Carbon Fiber wheels on the 1LE. Of course, there goes the entire benefit of buying the 1le, as it would suck up the $15k advantage the 1le has.
There's about a 60k actual difference in the price of the R car with those carbon wheels and where the 1LE will sell out the door for. What I'm seeing is the R cars are being held onto by dealers in the 100K range.

And what would happen if you dropped a set of CarbonRev wheels on the 1LE. I'll bet the R car would have it's hands full.

But none of this matters because we're bench racing factory offerings anyway.

67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #92
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanSuper View Post
The 350R is basically on a track tire while the 1LE is on a street tire, so I would not call that equally spec'd.
I disagree. It looks like these G:3's are running quite close to the Cup2 tires. Hard to tell though since theres not a lot of data out for them yet though, but based on the info we have for the stock SS tires, it looks like those run equal to MPSS.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #93
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
There's about a 60k actual difference in the price of the R car with those carbon wheels and where the 1LE will sell out the door for. What I'm seeing is the R cars are being held onto by dealers in the 100K range.

And what would happen if you dropped a set of CarbonRev wheels on the 1LE. I'll bet the R car would have it's hands full.

But none of this matters because we're bench racing factory offerings anyway.

Unfortunately, you are correct. Price gouging is disgusting.

The 1le would be a beast with those wheels for sure, but doing so would escalate the price into the stratosphere.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #94
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
I disagree. It looks like these G:3's are running quite close to the Cup2 tires. Hard to tell though since theres not a lot of data out for them yet though, but based on the info we have for the stock SS tires, it looks like those run equal to MPSS.
He's technically correct, however. The Supercar G3's are considered an "extreme summer", versus "max summer" that the Pilot Super Sport falls into, and the "Streetable track" category the Pilot Cup 2 is in. I covered this in this post. <--
Old 09-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #95
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
He's technically correct, however. The Supercar G3's are considered an "extreme summer", versus "max summer" that the Pilot Super Sport falls into, and the "Streetable track" category the Pilot Cup 2 is in. I covered this in this post. <--
I know where the last G:2 tire was categorical, but i'm leaning towards that not being the case this round, simply due the performance metrics the current SS tires are producing.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #96
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
If the ZL1 and whatever is coming up (presumably the Z/28) couldn't outrun the GT350R..that'd be a big egg on GM's face considering they've had nearly 2 years since they were announced and over a year since the first cars made it into consumer hands.

This is just how it goes, nothing lasts forever, and no car is the tip-top for long.
Umm, the GT350R couldn't outrun the 5th gen Z/28, doesn't that keep the egg on Ford already?
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #97
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
Umm, the GT350R couldn't outrun the 5th gen Z/28, doesn't that keep the egg on Ford already?
Given that this comparison was done 2 years apart, with different drivers in different weather conditions...I'd say it's irrelevant.

When compared on the same day, same track, same driver, the GT350R was faster.

So, no...no egg on anyones face.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #98
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The only direct comparison we have of the Z/28 and the GT350R, the R won. So, we can't say the R is slower but we can say it might be faster.