Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #29
A7X

Drives: Subaru Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinLover View Post
Extra costs of an SS over an LT:

- Monthly Payment - Overall price paid which you will pay for monthly for the next 5 years. Say minimum is $80/month.
Diff = $960/year

- Premium Gas - Average cost of Prem over Reg fuel is $0.75/gal in Central Florida (Seen it between $0.50 to $1.00 more than Reg gas in Gas Buddy). Average mileage on a vehicle today is 15,000. Sticker MPG average on a V6 is 23 (652 gal/year), on a V8 is 19 (790 gal/year).
V6 - 652x$2.00 = $1,304
V8 - 790x$2.75 = $2,172
Diff = $868/year

- Insurance Rates - All things equal with your standard rating (age, location, etc), you are insuring a V8 vs V6 and a Higher value vehicle which for many equate from $50 to $600 more every 6 months. Let's pick a low number of $100 every 6 months ($16/month) more.
Diff = $200/year

So yearly you will pay $2,028 - an extra $169/month. The first 5 years, you will pay $10,140 more for that SS which is not including insurance renewal increases and gas prices going up again. For some, this is really not in their budget.

If you know these extras and can budget them in, then sure go for it.
Thanks for doing this - excellent cost comparison.

I'm so tempted to go V8 but seriously 335HP for the V6 is pretty darn good. My present car is a 7 seater SUV with 256HP and it's way faster than the highways and streets here can support. The Turbo 4 I test drove was also way faster than I needed so the V8 would be super overkill.

But man that 1SS or 2SS is so tempting!!!! But when I get it I think it will be the V6.
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #30
A7X

duplicate post sorry
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #31
A7X

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie_z28 View Post
> Funny thing is those are basically 4th gen LT1 Z28 numbers...

I actually have both ('99 Z28 and '16 V6), and that's about right. The '16 doesn't feel as quick off the line unless I really mash the gas pedal down. But, it does eventually get moving and accelerates pretty well. My '99 (basically stock) seems to pull a lot better from a stop, and in general seems more responsive through a wider RPM band than the V6. I guess if you want that feeling of raw power, you need a V8
Oh why did you have to say this....V8 gas strikes hard.

Maybe wait a couple of years to get a nice used 2SS. The highway fuel economy #'s on the A8's is pretty spectacular
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #32
A7X

AND it's getting more reasonable

won't post a link so I don't offend advertisers, but 2SS loaded A8, 13,000 miles, $28,200 US.

WOW!!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #33
HighGs

Drives: Volvo XC60R, VW Eos, Fiat 500e
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinLover View Post
Extra costs of an SS over an LT:

- Monthly Payment - Overall price paid which you will pay for monthly for the next 5 years. Say minimum is $80/month.
Diff = $960/year

- Premium Gas - Average cost of Prem over Reg fuel is $0.75/gal in Central Florida (Seen it between $0.50 to $1.00 more than Reg gas in Gas Buddy). Average mileage on a vehicle today is 15,000. Sticker MPG average on a V6 is 23 (652 gal/year), on a V8 is 19 (790 gal/year).
V6 - 652x$2.00 = $1,304
V8 - 790x$2.75 = $2,172
Diff = $868/year

- Insurance Rates - All things equal with your standard rating (age, location, etc), you are insuring a V8 vs V6 and a Higher value vehicle which for many equate from $50 to $600 more every 6 months. Let's pick a low number of $100 every 6 months ($16/month) more.
Diff = $200/year

So yearly you will pay $2,028 - an extra $169/month. The first 5 years, you will pay $10,140 more for that SS which is not including insurance renewal increases and gas prices going up again. For some, this is really not in their budget.

If you know these extras and can budget them in, then sure go for it.
Don't forget tires. The bigger runflats are more expensive, and you'll likely change them more frequently.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #34
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGs View Post
Don't forget tires. The bigger runflats are more expensive, and you'll likely change them more frequently.
That, and the SS comes with summer only tires whereas LT models come with all-seasons so if your Camaro is a DD you'll have the additional expense of buying winter tires for the SS.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #35
HighGs

Here's a link to the manual V6 test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review

I like the RS, and the V6 performance looks good. I've been configuring for months now, and I keep going back and forth between an RS and an SS. I also have two diecast Camaros. (I play with one on my desk during conference calls.)

I think it depends on whatever else you were considering before considering a Camaro. If you were looking at a GTI or Golf R, ... eventually you have the epiphany that you could have a manual V6 Camaro, but then, across the lot ... is an SS, and so the torment begins.

Yes, gas may go up again. And tires will be more costly, but the SS is only about $5K more, and it's bundled with the bigger tires and wheels, so the extra 120 hp really is the deal of the century.

I made a point of renting a Mustang when I flew out to my son's school to buy him and his buddy's drinks on my son's 21st birthday. It was such a quick trip, I didn't pop the hood. I'm betting it was their V6. Yes, the interior had a lot of nostalgic Mustang queues, and it was more planted than other Mustangs I'd driven, but the automatic and whatever was under the hood prevented me from having any nostalgic warm and fuzzies. I realized that for me, a Mustang has to have a V8. All of the ones I've driven or owned had a V8, and without that sound, ... it's just something else.

I don't have any such imprinting wth the Camaro. I'll just have to drive a couple. If the ride isn't too harsh on the RS, I could see myself being happy with a V6; but with MRC, any ride fears will be quelled. (I've known Porsche owners whose cars became garage queens because they couldn't handle the ride without opting for adaptive suspension. The same was true for my buddy when he finally got his dream M3.)

The other issue is whether the dual mode exhaust can be quieter than the standard exhaust.

The adventure continues.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #36
HighGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil's Rebel View Post
That, and the SS comes with summer only tires whereas LT models come with all-seasons so if your Camaro is a DD you'll have the additional expense of buying winter tires for the SS.
Is that the standard RS spoiler. It looks different than the one in the Camaro brochure.

It's a good looking car dude. I really like that hyper blue.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #37
HighGs

Check out this guy's canyon cruise in his V6 automatic. He's going over 70, and gets into the 80s at some point. The camera position only gives you glimpses of the speedo, but the car is clearly capable of going fast.

Granted, he is going down hill, but what concerns me are some of his steering inputs. It looks like he is making more corrections than even a FWD car might require. Anyway, keep your Dramamine handy for the video.

I confess: I also like this car in silver.

https://youtu.be/QkLleq6tS58
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #38
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Is that the standard RS spoiler. It looks different than the one in the Camaro brochure.

It's a good looking car dude. I really like that hyper blue.
Thanks!! I love it!

It is a different one from the standard RS (good eye!) Chevy calls it a "wing spoiler" it was an option I chose when I put my build together - didn't really care for most of the other options and was going to go with the blade spoiler until I saw this one other member on here/FB with it & thought it was perfect! Kinda reminds me of the ACS one a bit.

Here's a close up...
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #39
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
He's going over 70, and gets into the 80s at some point. The camera position only gives you glimpses of the speedo, but the car is clearly capable of going fast.
https://youtu.be/QkLleq6tS58
He hit 135mph at 5:50

Quote:
...but what concerns me are some of his steering inputs
All of these new Camaros have excellent handling. You really just need to go test drive a few of them and find out which one you like.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #40
HighGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
He hit 135mph at 5:50
Whoa! I did not see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

That's a bit too fast for me. Although the highways in west Texas are as good as I've seen, I think you'd need to know the govenor to get off a ticket like that.