Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #43
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
Has anyone had any luck finding an E85 flex fuel conversion kit for a 2016 or 2017 RS i4 turbo? Seems like they make the kit for every other car out there except for those particular years
SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #44
Delran

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE Riverside Blue 6M
http://www.vermonttuning.com/product...-fuel-upgrade/

This is the E85 flex fuel kit I was going to eventually go with
Delran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #45
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Vermont Tuning is the only verified one that works but requires his custom tune.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #46
SS_AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delran View Post
http://www.vermonttuning.com/product...-fuel-upgrade/

This is the E85 flex fuel kit I was going to eventually go with
I did happen to see that after I posted my question, it would be killer to get the whole kit, turbo, pipe, and conversion, and according to the site it's on sale..
Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #47
SS_AL

Anyone interested in the GTS race chip? When I switch over to flex fuel I'll basically be starting over, and the chip will be useless to me, PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #48
SS_AL

Running lean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
E85 or even flex fueling is definitely not new territory, not even on these cars. I know you have read some blogs and formed "your opinion", but there are 100 reasons why you should not just pump e85 into your tank. I don't have anywhere near enough time to explain all of the reasons this is a horrible ideal, and I'm not a good teacher, but I will try too touch on one reason for anyone else thinking this is ok.

Everything on these cars works in the inverse of Lambda, your PCM has no clue what type of fuel you are running, it only knows what fuel it "thinks" its running via the stoichiometric ratio that is set in the tune. On our cars, the tune is designed for gas with a stoich of 14.7, E85 does NOT have this stoich value. The problem with that is the PCM uses that stoich value divided by the commanded EQ ratio to determine air fuel ratios. Not altering the stoich for e85 will result in delivering fuel for an AFR calculated based on gas. This will result in lean, unsafe conditions (roughly 30% fuel missing). The real kicker here is this. The car will never even know its running incredibly lean,(because the math is wrong), and none of the engine protective systems will even activate to save your engine, because it doesn't even know there is a problem.
I get what you're saying, but I disagree that the computer won't acknowledge that it's running lean, regardless if it is a piggyback modification, the computer doesn't totally get left out of the equation when it comes to air/fuel ratio. You can stop worrying, I'm switching over to a flex fuel conversion..
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #49
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Coop is worried because he's monitored and seen what the ecu does under certain circumstances don't think the ecu will fix afr for you. It will throw you into a lower fuel timing table and you'll have issues from there that the RaceChip could mask or exacerbate anything cooper says is researched reliable information I've experienced my own issues with E85 tuning just for the race track no plug and play chip tuner is goi g to fix or allow the ecu to fix what the engine and computer decide on, and these LTGs and ECUs love to give you a big middle finger if not monitored or tuned properly.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #50
SS_AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Coop is worried because he's monitored and seen what the ecu does under certain circumstances don't think the ecu will fix afr for you. It will throw you into a lower fuel timing table and you'll have issues from there that the RaceChip could mask or exacerbate anything cooper says is researched reliable information I've experienced my own issues with E85 tuning just for the race track no plug and play chip tuner is goi g to fix or allow the ecu to fix what the engine and computer decide on, and these LTGs and ECUs love to give you a big middle finger if not monitored or tuned properly.
I get it, I appreciate everyone's input, before all of this I was a newbie to tuning, and learned a lot from this forum, I'm just glad you all informed me before I ruined anything, now I have 94 octane in it until I switch over... thanks guys!!.... anyone in the market for a GTS racing chip? Two months old..