#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #211
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Brian from Apex wheels contacted with me. He mentioned that he saw my build thread here on this forum and asked if I'd be interested being featured on their APEX Blog since they feature customer builds on their website.

Here's a small interview/feature about my SS 1LE if you're interested :

https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/c...pex-19-wheels/
Wow, that's actually very informative!

You mentioned you ran off track twice. Did you have track insurance to cover the damage? At the end of this month I'm going for my first track day (NASA HPDE) and I don't know if track insurance is necessary because I know I won't push it hard for the first time. I really want to know what you think.

You go to track days 10 times a year. Do you spend a whole weekend on the track or just a day? Why do you say track season is limited? Because of rainy season, too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter?

Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks for sharing your experience!
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #212
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Wow, that's actually very informative!

You mentioned you ran off track twice. Did you have track insurance to cover the damage? At the end of this month I'm going for my first track day (NASA HPDE) and I don't know if track insurance is necessary because I know I won't push it hard for the first time. I really want to know what you think.

You go to track days 10 times a year. Do you spend a whole weekend on the track or just a day? Why do you say track season is limited? Because of rainy season, too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter?

Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I had to replace one of the front wheels since I hit the bump at one corner (cheap to replace Apex wheels) other than that no damage I didn't get the track insurance but it's a piece of mind for sure

I cannot do more than 2 events a month during the track season and track season is typically from May to October here in PNW. I recently got a towing vehicle so maybe I can add a couple more events in either NorCal or Oregon if I can get a trailer
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #213
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I cannot do more than 2 events a month during the track season and track season is typically from May to October here in PNW.
Do you mean there will be no track events out of track season?

You also mentioned you don't like 305 square setup. What's the reason? Understeer?
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #214
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Do you mean there will be no track events out of track season?

You also mentioned you don't like 305 square setup. What's the reason? Understeer?
There are some but it typically rains.

I only used 305 with Trofeo Rs. I wouldn't say the problem was the square setup but because of the extra grip and softer sidewalls, it threw the OEM suspension settings out of whack. Car didn't want to turn with a lot of mid corner push which wasn't the case with OEM setup.

I can say the same thing with the 305/325 NT01s. It's pretty apparent the grip level is a lot better with 305/325 setup but additional grip is creating some issues since it's limited with the MRC tuning so that it doesn't allow me to use the tires at their full potential.

With the 295/305 slicks it was a bit better in terms of overall balance but 305/325 NT01s were definitely better in any other aspect. I will have to find a way to stiff the suspension somehow, either trying the DSC controller or find some good coilovers (if they ever make one)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #215
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I think I saw somewhere you were thinking of going with 18" Apex wheels. is this the case and when do you expect to try out the fitment?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #216
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I think I saw somewhere you were thinking of going with 18" Apex wheels. is this the case and when do you expect to try out the fitment?
I already have see below thread.. and it looked like it would require camber plates to be able to comfortably fit the wheels since I need to back down on the camber on the knuckle little bit and add more from the top mount to gain some of the clearance inside.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486305

Things to note, I am currently at -3.0 camber and didn't really see a big improvement over the -2.4 camber and so maybe I can go back to -2.7 camber and ask my mechanic to grind a bit more to see if I can get away with it. The only advantage of the camber plate (for my case) is actually to gain a few mm of clearance. With 8mm spacer and some grinding on the tabs it was barely rubbing against the lips so I think I am very close maybe I should try once again after doing that
Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #217
Lt Berserker

Drives: V6 1LE
I know people have been beating around this idea, just wanted to run it by you to see your thoughts since you are running a very aggressive wheel set.

I'm considering getting the FS06 MRR in a square setup with 295/30r20 re71r for next summer (STP or CAM)...

I'm thinking based on your experience and knowledge would a 20x10.5 +23 rear work (think it could - however concern about poke and compression rub), then front adding extended studs with a 5mm spacer (netting a 20x10.5 +17) - ideally use of a 3mm spacer would be great but don't think that would work while trying to attain -1.5 ~ -2° camber

Sorry to highjack your build thread awesome following the work in trying different diameters & widths

Last edited by Lt Berserker; 10-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Lt Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #218
glamcem

no worries PM'd
Old 10-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #219
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Now that Apex has discontinued our beloved PS-7, are you planning on switching to another design in case you bend any more? I'm thinking of grabbing a set of ARC-8's in 19x10.5 square

Last edited by Eric SS; 10-27-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #220
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I’ve seen ARC-8’s in person, and pictures do not do them justice, a very cool looking wheel.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:47 AM   #221
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Quote:
Now that Apex has discontinued our beloved PS-7, are you planning on switching to another design in case you bend any more? I'm thinking of grabbing a set of ARC-8's in 19x10.5 square
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I’ve seen ARC-8’s in person, and pictures do not do them justice, a very cool looking wheel.
Agreed -
I'm debating on selling my PS-7 setup jfyi - same setup glamcem uses - 700 street miles on it
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #222
glamcem

Quote:
I have another set of Apex PS7 (in black) so I am not too worried. They had some left overs last time I checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
My friend who has a Gen 5 SS has them, they look pretty good too but PS7 still gets my vote, especially since they're cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Agreed -
I'm debating on selling my PS-7 setup jfyi - same setup glamcem uses - 700 street miles on it
But why? You should get some winter tires like I did man I was able to find some closeout Kumhos (295/30/19) for street for like $120 a per tire
Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #223
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
even though they discontinued the PS-7, the EC-7 is basically the same, just beefier...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #224
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
even though they discontinued the PS-7, the EC-7 is basically the same, just beefier...
good point, they look identical except the arm design (one goes over the wheel lips other one doesn't)