#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 AM   #15
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-X View Post
After coming out of the GT350 the ZL1 sounds really tame. It sounds great in my garage with the windows down but on the road ... I keep wondering if it's in stealth mode ... nope, just quiet. This car needs a soundtrack that matches it's attitude though. What are you all doing for exhaust? I wouldn't mind if the baffles just stayed open and I don't care if it is just an Axel back. I just need some angrier sounds inside the cockpit.

Also, I'm sitting here trying to learn all the systems getting annoyed thinking what this car needs is more simplicity and less baggage. Is anyone else puzzled why this car has back seats, heated and cooled seats/steering wheel, power mirrors, disco lights etc? Why doesn't it have a more track focused seat option like the GT350, Z06 and GT3? Or a delete all the things option? Remove the gingerbread and give us some seats that weigh half as much. I think it would make more sense as a ZL1 version of the Carrera T.

Is it a hard-core track weapon or a GT with track focused suspension? Yes.

Side note: My car has been grounded since I drove it the 250 miles home because I live in Oregon and ... winter sucks. I have not even really got to drive her just hyper analyze the interior haha. I still think its a really great car. Can't wait for spring.
Coming from a C7 Z06 I find the seats in the ZL1 1LE to be excellent. I'd even go as far as to say they're the best seats Chevy has put in a car. However, I am 6'4 and 215lbs so my point of view may be different.

As for the sound -- I couldn't agree more. It is tame. I had a 2013 Shelby GT500 (that was the 662hp one) and it sounded great stock. Then I switched to a 2015 ZL1 and had to do a full headers back exhaust to get it to sound good. Then Grand Sport, then Z06 and now this -- all the Chevy's were tame. I guess it's just a Chevy thing?

On the other hand all the Chevy's felt so much better

On the other-other hand 3 of the 4 Chevy's had engine problems, 1 blew up... So I'm waiting until I hit 5k to void my warranty with headers.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:55 AM   #16
Sid-X

Drives: '17Raptor,'68Firebird,'18MacanGTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Coming from a C7 Z06 I find the seats in the ZL1 1LE to be excellent. I'd even go as far as to say they're the best seats Chevy has put in a car. However, I am 6'4 and 215lbs so my point of view may be different.

As for the sound -- I couldn't agree more. It is tame. I had a 2013 Shelby GT500 (that was the 662hp one) and it sounded great stock. Then I switched to a 2015 ZL1 and had to do a full headers back exhaust to get it to sound good. Then Grand Sport, then Z06 and now this -- all the Chevy's were tame. I guess it's just a Chevy thing?

On the other hand all the Chevy's felt so much better

On the other-other hand 3 of the 4 Chevy's had engine problems, 1 blew up... So I'm waiting until I hit 5k to void my warranty with headers.
Yikes dude, don't say engine problems ... I am still raw from the GT350 dying. If this thing fails I am going to lose faith in America.

I'm 5'11" 165-ish. I really liked the narrow Recaros in my GT350. I like to be locked in. The cockpit of the Camaro fits me pretty well though. I drove a Challenger SRT8 for fun and felt like I was a 14 year old in my dad's car haha.
Sid-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
My favorite video of the ZL1 1LE is the one reviewed by Wick's way with the LG LT Headers and Midpipe paired to the Stock NPP Exhaust.

It's exactly what I am going to do when the 1LE crosses past 5,000 miles. Of course, a tune will be required with this setup but hey - it is what is what is.

The sound is deep, earthy and brings the LT4 to life with this car. Just stuff of legends.

Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #18
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-X View Post
Yikes dude, don't say engine problems ... I am still raw from the GT350 dying. If this thing fails I am going to lose faith in America.

I'm 5'11" 165-ish. I really liked the narrow Recaros in my GT350. I like to be locked in. The cockpit of the Camaro fits me pretty well though. I drove a Challenger SRT8 for fun and felt like I was a 14 year old in my dad's car haha.
No worries, he was referring to the Corvette issues relating to Overheating. Not a concern with this car as you know!
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
My favorite video of the ZL1 1LE is the one reviewed by Wick's way with the LG LT Headers and Midpipe paired to the Stock NPP Exhaust.

It's exactly what I am going to do when the 1LE crosses past 5,000 miles. Of course, a tune will be required with this setup but hey - it is what is what is.

The sound is deep, earthy and brings the LT4 to life with this car. Just stuff of legends.

Oh god. Pure muscle awesomeness
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #20
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Kooks 2" headers with green cats and Corsa attack axle back

https://youtu.be/n6XxaFryVoM
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
Kooks 2" headers with green cats and Corsa attack axle back

https://youtu.be/n6XxaFryVoM
Sounds killer.
Can you please post a longer vid of it running? Please
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #22
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Sounds great!

If only I didn't have to deal with tracks that have sound limits...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #23
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Sounds killer.
Can you please post a longer vid of it running? Please

Thank you! As soon a I get a little break in the weather I will. During the winter months I keep the car at my Dad's. He has a larger garage. It's safe there and doesn't get in his way that way I can keep my daily in the garage out of the snow
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
“Yes, I was thinking they would actually be pretty sweet on the track when the temps climb. If I remember they are there. I have them in my Raptor and I always forget I have them even after 50k miles on the ODO ... haha. “

FYI, the Camaro seats are not “air conditioned” although you could say so when the AC is running as the air taken in will be cooled from the AC vents, not dedicated to the seats per se, they just have fans forcing air through them. The Raptor seats and all F150’s use what’s known as a TED, thermal electronic device, they’re not connected to the AC system at all, it’s self contained in each individual seat and unfortunately they system produces a lot of exhaust heat and often times the system is sucking in its own heat that makes them not work very well, it’s an odd system, would have been better to use the AC IMO.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If Chevy went to loud from the factory some people wouldn't enjoy the car as much. I really dig the dual mode set up, it's nice to have a touring mode. For those you like it loud you can always upgrade your exhaust or even go with a set of long tubes. We have plenty of options. We usually recommend just jumping into a set of long tube headers. It'll add volume and power and the stock exhaust sounds pretty wicked with them.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #26
Cooter42

Drives: ZL1 1LE
You’ve got to be pretty rad to think this car has an identity crisis! 650hp, R compound kill-you-when-cold-or-wet tires, dive planes, rear wing, adjustable suspension, DSSV, etc. I think it’s pretty clear what’s its trying to be. Yeah, the exhaust is a bit quiet but anybody who’s wrestled with laguna seca pipes to meet sound will probably appreciate the relative noise level.
Cooter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #27
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You are comparing it to one of the greatest sounds ever (GT 350). Not a fair fight.
Every time I hear obnoxiously loud revving and the sound of marbles in a soda can, I turn and see a d-bag driving a Mustang.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #28
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Every time I hear obnoxiously loud revving and the sound of marbles in a soda can, I turn and see a d-bag driving a Mustang.
Agreed. My personal opinion is the GT 350's voodoo engine sounds like crap. I'd put the aggressive sound of an LT4 above it ANYDAY of the week.

Skip to 5:35 or so:

Case and point.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote