Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
MPScan

Drives: 2017 FIFTY VERT MANUAL 2SS
2017 High End Audio System Replacement (2SS Vert)

Posting for reference since I have seen other questions here about replacing factory Bose.

My new ride has been in the audio shop since December 28th and should be ready at the end of this week. We're doing a completely replacement of the audio system except head unit. Keeping all factory functionality by taking everything post-Bose AMP and routing it through a 6 to 8 Mosconi DSP.

It's taking a while because the sub box will be a custom foot well one (with plexiglass LED backlit "Fifty" logo in it. Also the Focal coaxials they ordered for the rear were too deep as there is no room in the rear deck with the vert so we had to go go with different rear setups.

Anyway. Here's the diagram for the setup drawn by the audio engineer (not me, lol). More pics and detailed information to follow.
Attached Images

MPScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
very cool, keep up updated, what kind of quote did you get for the system, if you don't mind me asking? The Bose really bugs me, I'm not an audiophile, but the muddy mids and lack of lows is ridiculous. Was hoping there would be a plug-n-play sub/amp combo to at least fill the bottom out, but haven't seen much. I'm also a Vert guy, so space is minimal. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
MPScan

Not cheap. I'd prefer not to say, but there are some things in life we all excel at and car audio installations is NOT one of mine. I'd rather leave it to the highly recommended professionals so as not to screw something up.

Apparently, the Mosconi DSP should take everything coming from the Bose and clean it all up, separate it back out as needed, and make a huge difference in the sound quality from the factory head unit. Huge. We'll see.

Couple more pictures as they're sending them to me from the shop. Dynamat in the doors, and the custom speaker mounts:
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Great selection of equipment. I am still in the planning stage of my vert audio upgrade so I'll be eyeing your pics like a hawk. Thanks for keeping us updated.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
MPScan

Cool. Actually he wrote "Focal Amp" on the amplifier part which was probably just a mistake. We're using a JL Audio HD900/5 to drive it all (you can see the box in a pic). The fronts will be Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 components. Will keep updated.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I was gunna say, I think you set that up backwards! Focal components and JL amps, good boy! This should sound awesome. Let us know how clean the line level converter is. Which sub are you using?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
MPScan

Thank you.

The challenge in the vert is space, obviously. Trunk sub would just push energy out the back anyway so we decided on a passenger custom foot well enclosure and a JL 10TW3-D4 for the sub itself.

The front of the enclosure will be color matched carpet, reinforced glass with the image below etched into it facing the passenger, and some LED lighting so you can see through to the sub there. There will (should) be enough room for a 6'2 person to still sit comfortably even with the room the enclosure will take up..... we'll shall see.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Thats interesting! I havent seen too many installs with a sub up front like that without the dash being taken apart. I built some footwell enclosures for some dynuadios in my audi TT. Please take build pics for us!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Is there any room for a sub like the 5th gen had from the factory - behind the passenger seat?

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
MPScan

Not in the convertible, I do not think. There was room for one on the floor of the trunk when the top is down, but the energy would never make its way into the cabin the way a passenger foot well sub will.

From his notes and looking at the passenger door, the factory Bose sub woofer was actually in the door??? I had no idea.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPScan View Post
Not in the convertible, I do not think. There was room for one on the floor of the trunk when the top is down, but the energy would never make its way into the cabin the way a passenger foot well sub will.
I might have to take a look behind my seat. I think the stereo in my 5th gen sounded better and it had a factory sub back there.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #12
MPScan

Some more pics. Custom trunk electronic mounting platform. Foot well prep for the woofer. Mounted electronics for the trunk.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
That's very neat and tidy looking. Looks like it was designed by an engineering purist!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
I would love to see the installed woofer, very ingenious!

Where can you get the Mosconi DSP online?

Last edited by JoeAyalaM; 01-04-2017 at 10:04 PM.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote