#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'd be happy to! What sort of things were giving you a problem?

There were a couple tricks and tips the JPSS crew taught me to help things along...for example - it's best to lift both sides at the same time.
Thanks! I raised one side at a time. Oddly when I rotated the camber plate on the passenger side I went clockwise but the only way I could rotate the driver's side was counterclockwise. On either side it was very difficult to rotate period. It would catch something and then I would have to jostle it around a bit and try to rotate it again.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
1st I've seen of this write-up. Much better to wait til you really know the car. This ZL1 isn't something you learn over night.

Really well written as usual and even included my favorite desk picture and some of #2 But where's Big Aero?

Just makes me even more anxious about my 2019 ZLE.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
1st I've seen of this write-up. Much better to wait til you really know the car. This ZL1 isn't something you learn over night.

Really well written as usual and even included my favorite desk picture and some of #2 But where's Big Aero?

Just makes me even more anxious about my 2019 ZLE.
But the 2020 model may have better vision

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
But the 2020 model may have better vision
No one has ever heard me complain about vision in the Camaro.

Now Sunroof is a different story. I can't believe he mentioned A10 and sunroof in the same sentence like they are both inconsequential.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Mr. Wyndham

Thanks for the write-up. I like that you have taken your time to really evaluate and not just a half@$$ review. I am a little jealous of me not having a 1LE but I know that I would not be able to take it to its fullest potential anyway. I am satisfied with my ZL1, as most people are.

GM has made a great car and taken a lot of time at the little things that make it great. Some would say that the ZL1 does not have as good of "sound" as other cars, but I want more than sound out of a car.

Again, good review from a good reviewer...
Thank you!

The ZL1/LT4 "screams" rather than Roars...and you have to really be on it to hear the good sounds it makes. It is likely that next season I'll look into removing the secondary cats, erm..."resonators"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Thanks Mr. W, and if I may add;

That is another HUGE development for GOODYEAR. As you know Tires can Win or Lose a race for you. I’ll be saving the factory tire for the track. If you know of a 2nd set of Take-Offs I’m in the Market.
+1 I also would of liked some additional weight saving options for the 1LE such as OnStar Delete(offered in other GM Cars), Delete the Decoration, Disco Lighting and Nav etc, (as who needs Nav when you’re concentrating on Left Turns or X-Cross all day?).

Add the option to choose optional steering control and offer the hydraulic rack from the fifth-generation Camaro, that’s used in the GT Car, (we all know why they’ve used this unit in the GT car over the current fly-by-wire electric unit :( ).

I would of also of liked an option to purchase/upgrade the M6 to the GT4-R’s X-TRACK six-speed sequential transmission, paddle shift kit and corresponding rear axle combo. That would be the ULTIMATE TRACK PERFORMANCE KIT. That transmission upgrade alone would equal the transmission playing field against the A10.(It’s also in my larger, long term game plan).
This was another incredible concerted team effort from ALL the Camaro engineers. If you’ve ever worked on a “Project” with multiple facts and engineers you will appreciate this accomplishment.

Yep, it’s a Race Car. It costs $$$ and FUEL to go fast. I’m thinking of opening a “ZL1 Drive Thru Spoiler Service and Scape Repair” as most DD’s will not treat the car as needed and will be tearing the front Aero off and/or pushing in under the Car from the parking stops at the grocery store.
Most people also don’t appreciate the M6 “close ratio” gearing that keeps the car in its “torque curve” for maximum performance. It can also use a cam change and some additional aggressive gearing @ 6th for ultimate Track Performance, (as demonstrated in the famous Ring video where in 6th the car seems to flattens out a bit and loses some ability to pull thru at the top end).

Sounds like you're interested in a "1LZ" option, of sorts. One of the big reasons they left all the kit in this car was because the Z/28 flopped a little in reviews because it literally had nothing available. I LOVE how loaded it is inside for the road trip to and from the track. It's an amazing combo of convenience and raw performance that very few people at the track can even hope to match.

But...I must admit...I'm making moves to get a truck and start trailering this thing. Probably a Sierra Denali...at that point, Nav, heated seats, etc, etc won't be necessary - and I'd probably be in your boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
What an amazing write up! I have to admit that had I read that two weeks earlier, I might have gone full ZL1 1LE. Great detail and a lot of great care was put into that review.
Thanks, the ZL1 in standard configuration is no slouch. There are days while DD'ing the car that I wish I had stuck with my A10 Hyper Blue ZL1 order...but they are few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Won't be the same, but I saved 40lbs on my ZL1 getting it closer to ZL1 1LE weight territory, just by going to 19's and lighter wheels...
A noticeable difference!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
Thanks! I raised one side at a time. Oddly when I rotated the camber plate on the passenger side I went clockwise but the only way I could rotate the driver's side was counterclockwise. On either side it was very difficult to rotate period. It would catch something and then I would have to jostle it around a bit and try to rotate it again.
It shouldn't be difficult, in terms of resistance...but once you get the plate unscrewed (it's best to have the tire/wheel off), you need to push on the strut with one hand to relieve pressure. Then, using a box wrench, slowly rotate the camber plate. Shimmy the strut with your other hand a little to get it to move. There are strength-reinforcing ribs on the underside of the strut-tower that can catch the camber plate...this is where shimmying can help. Do not force anything, it's not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No one has ever heard me complain about vision in the Camaro.

Now Sunroof is a different story. I can't believe he mentioned A10 and sunroof in the same sentence like they are both inconsequential.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #34
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

It shouldn't be difficult, in terms of resistance...but once you get the plate unscrewed (it's best to have the tire/wheel off), you need to push on the strut with one hand to relieve pressure. Then, using a box wrench, slowly rotate the camber plate. Shimmy the strut with your other hand a little to get it to move. There are strength-reinforcing ribs on the underside of the strut-tower that can catch the camber plate...this is where shimmying can help. Do not force anything, it's not necessary.
Yeah I followed the directions in the manual regarding leaving the wheels on. That was probably where I went wrong lol. I was definitely catching on the reinforcement ribs. Thanks for the information. I'll try it with the wheels off next time.

Last edited by bensf; 10-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
Yeah I followed the directions in the manual regarding leaving the wheels on. That was probably where i went wrong lol. I was definitely catching on the reinforcement ribs. Thanks for the information. I'll try it with the wheels off next time.
It's just easier to manage with about 50 less pounds.

I also adjust the height at the same time, so it's convenient for me to remove them, first.