Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Nice review, and congrats again.....

In case you haven't seen it, here's your car's racing cousin, the GT-4, (with the $249K price tag)....http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508939
and...http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-c...-now-for-sale/

It might be good for a few mods to the ZL1 1LE at some point....but with the GT-4 having the reduced hp engine, you might outrun it...lol...

A stock ZL1 1LE and a GT-4 head to head would be very interesting. Good luck!...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
neenja_jenkins

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Best color!
Great shots in there too!
neenja_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Dalmation View Post
Joe,

You have no idea who I am, but you are part of the reason I purchased my first Camaro. Something to be said about someone who methodically responds with logic and who actually
owns the car they are discussing. Because of you I am part of this elite club of owners.

You made be cross over the pond from the Germans
Fast Dalmation,

I appreciate you sharing that with me. My heart warms quite a bit to hear it. We're glad you're hear, and I hope that your purchase was worth it, if I influenced the decision in the way you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Cliff notes?

Jk. Good read man. Amazing car indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
So nice to see someone you like get what they deserve and enjoy.

Prolific review. First-rate.

Culmination of years of longing for your perfect Camaro - fulfilled.ddd

ddddddddddd
I'm very grateful to be able to have it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Nice review, and congrats again.....

In case you haven't seen it, here's your car's racing cousin, the GT-4, (with the $249K price tag)....http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508939
and...http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-c...-now-for-sale/

It might be good for a few mods to the ZL1 1LE at some point....but with the GT-4 having the reduced hp engine, you might outrun it...lol...

A stock ZL1 1LE and a GT-4 head to head would be very interesting. Good luck!...
Interesting you brought that up. I really really like that car. Pop some slicks on the ZL1 1LE, roll cage, swap out the seats for Sparcos, and remove some racecar-unnecessary stuff...It could be very interesting indeed.

The Camaro GT4.R ran a lap time of 1:43 on the Full Course of VIR behind the hands of Aschenbach. Pretty quick stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenja_jenkins View Post
Best color!
Great shots in there too!
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Very nice write up. It is awesome that GM was able to create such an amazing machine that is affordable to so many. It is also awesome that if you want something that is nearly as track capable with more daily drivability, you still have the standard ZL1. Enjoy the car!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Awesome writeup/review!! I was hoping to meet you at Camarofest and check out that beast of yours but never got the chance with everything that was going on. Maybe next time.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Nice detailed write up. Reminded me of my first time in a race kart with slicks. First turn, turned wheel left and went straight off track. But once those tires started heating up, it was a completely different story. It was an eye opener for sure. I'm leaning towards the base ZL1 but happy to see cars like this are offered. The car is a steal for the $'s. Now I gotta go steal some $'s.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 AM   #21
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Congrats, and a great read! Your car definitely puts Nightfall Grey on the map.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #22
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Let me focus in on the adjustment for a minute; the anodized blue bodies of these dampers include complete adjustment for the track including camber and height. It’s…EASY. I couldn’t believe it.

I visited JPSS’s facility on my way to the Camaro Fest, and we got the wrenches out (you only need two plus one hex key). With a lift, we were able to lower the ride height and induce more negative camber on both sides in just 30 minutes. Keep in mind; none of us had worked with this system before!! In “street mode” the toe is in slightly, to aid in stability on the street. When swapped to “track mode”, the toe changes to almost exactly the same measure OUT without any realignment. When you drop the suspension height on a car, the rest of the suspension geometry changes…this is the reason it is a contested idea to “slam” a performance car. Or at least why you must have an alignment after lowering a car with springs. The fact that the Camaro team was able to engineer these settings to change so well is amazing.

Anyways, all it requires, really, is a simple floor jack…what’s really cool (in my opinion), is that the manual clearly provides instructions how to perform these changes.
Really terrific write up and great color choice. Today will be my first track day. Can't wail lol. As for the alignment changes described above. I have not had your experience, did it last night and it was a pia. I am obviously doing it wrong. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Cliff notes version......

aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
Really terrific write up and great color choice. Today will be my first track day. Can't wail lol. As for the alignment changes described above. I have not had your experience, did it last night and it was a pia. I am obviously doing it wrong. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'd be happy to! What sort of things were giving you a problem?

There were a couple tricks and tips the JPSS crew taught me to help things along...for example - it's best to lift both sides at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Reckless View Post
Cliff notes version......

Pretty much!
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #25
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Mr. Wyndham

Thanks for the write-up. I like that you have taken your time to really evaluate and not just a half@$$ review. I am a little jealous of me not having a 1LE but I know that I would not be able to take it to its fullest potential anyway. I am satisfied with my ZL1, as most people are.

GM has made a great car and taken a lot of time at the little things that make it great. Some would say that the ZL1 does not have as good of "sound" as other cars, but I want more than sound out of a car.

Again, good review from a good reviewer...

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The Camaro ZL1 1LE…I don’t really know what to say.
Thanks Mr. W, and if I may add;

Quote:
WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD
Now, onto the tires…they’re simply…magical. They need a little more heating up than the G:3s. But once warm, holy hell these tires stick like stink. GM says they’ve spent years developing this tire with Goodyear for the ZL1 1LE. They are Goodyear’s first entry into the DOT-legal racing tire segment,
That is another HUGE development for GOODYEAR. As you know Tires can Win or Lose a race for you. I’ll be saving the factory tire for the track. If you know of a 2nd set of Take-Offs I’m in the Market.
Quote:
The car is lighter than a standard ZL1, too. The car features thinner rear glass (which you can’t tell the difference, just by looking), lighter dampers, and lighter wheels. All combined, these strategic weight savings result in a car is about 60lbs lighter than a regular ZL1. To put that in perspective…the ZL1 1LE weighs 3823 lbs according to GM. That’s only 76 lbs heavier than the naturally-aspirated 1SS 1LE. The car has heated seats and all that luxury stuff on the inside, AND a supercharger AND beefier hardware…and it only weighs 76 lbs heavier. It’s also almost identical in weight to the hyper-weight-reduction, LS7-powered 2014 Z/28…just WOW.
+1 I also would of liked some additional weight saving options for the 1LE such as OnStar Delete(offered in other GM Cars), Delete the Decoration, Disco Lighting and Nav etc, (as who needs Nav when you’re concentrating on Left Turns or X-Cross all day?).

Add the option to choose optional steering control and offer the hydraulic rack from the fifth-generation Camaro, that’s used in the GT Car, (we all know why they’ve used this unit in the GT car over the current fly-by-wire electric unit :( ).

I would of also of liked an option to purchase/upgrade the M6 to the GT4-R’s X-TRACK six-speed sequential transmission, paddle shift kit and corresponding rear axle combo. That would be the ULTIMATE TRACK PERFORMANCE KIT. That transmission upgrade alone would equal the transmission playing field against the A10.(It’s also in my larger, long term game plan).
Quote:
As far as down force…the wing, splitter, dive planes, and rocker panels work together to produce 300 lbs of down force at 155mph. As you reach that from lower speeds, the down force climbs gradually from neutral lift. Some say that doesn’t matter because no one will ever reach 155mph on the street…but keep in mind, this car is for track enthusiasts - and the ZL1 1LE will likely live above 100 mph quite often. As a result, the car is incredibly stable at speed…and bumps in the road don’t upset the car at high speeds as much as others might. Keep something else in mind…with the stiff springs, modified damping, and stiffer-sidewall/stickier tires…the down force is a necessary component in the “recipe” for this car to effectively keep all 650 hp going to the ground.
This was another incredible concerted team effort from ALL the Camaro engineers. If you’ve ever worked on a “Project” with multiple facts and engineers you will appreciate this accomplishment.

Quote:
Which brings me to the final point…a little advice. Life with a ZL1 1LE requires patience and understanding. It scrapes almost everywhere, even in “full high” settings on the height. The wing calls attention to you like a hooker in a skin-tight red dress, and it also blocks out half of what little rear view you have.
Yep, it’s a Race Car. It costs $$$ and FUEL to go fast. I’m thinking of opening a “ZL1 Drive Thru Spoiler Service and Scape Repair” as most DD’s will not treat the car as needed and will be tearing the front Aero off and/or pushing in under the Car from the parking stops at the grocery store.
Quote:
Fuel mileage is poor as well, thanks to the revised 6th gear (revs are 2600 @ 70).
Most people also don’t appreciate the M6 “close ratio” gearing that keeps the car in its “torque curve” for maximum performance. It can also use a cam change and some additional aggressive gearing @ 6th for ultimate Track Performance, (as demonstrated in the famous Ring video where in 6th the car seems to flattens out a bit and loses some ability to pull thru at the top end).
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #27
Delaney

Drives: '17 Summit White ZL1
What an amazing write up! I have to admit that had I read that two weeks earlier, I might have gone full ZL1 1LE. Great detail and a lot of great care was put into that review.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #28
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Thanks
Nice writing
Track monster but hard on daily use...
Still thinking my MRC A10 is super confortable!
Thinking to add the aero kit (all wings +grill)
May have everything :
-the track downforce
-the daily confort
Won't be the same, but I saved 40lbs on my ZL1 getting it closer to ZL1 1LE weight territory, just by going to 19's and lighter wheels...

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote