Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
SplorgFlorgman

Drives: Nothing, yet
Looking for some recommendations for guy crossing the aisle

Hey guys,

I have been a 100% import car purchaser for the last 15 years, my last car was a 2015 Subaru STi. I can't really tell you what has brought me to waiting on a 2SS 1LE, but I've been deciding what car I want for the last few months, and I've come to the conclusion that most of the Japanese manufacturers don't really have anything to offer that interests me anymore in my price range, and the Camaro is the car that appeals to me the most right now.

I've been used to high revving, small engines with big turbos, and I'm pretty excited about making the switch over to a RWD V8. I was all set to order, but after finding out there's a real 1LE package coming to the 2SS, I'm going to wait a little longer.

So, onto my real questions..

This has to be a yearly driver for me, and I live in a state with a lot of snow. I always put snow tires on my Subaru and felt fairly invincible with a good AWD system and Blizzaks. I'm slightly concerned about driving a Camaro in the snow, but I've struggled through many years with shitty, light, FWD cars in all seasons, so I'm not THAT worried about it. Since I probably will end up getting a 2SS 1LE towards the end of the year at this point, I need to get some snow tires/rims. Does anyone have a recommendation for some 18 or 19" rims that will fit over the Brembos? Don't need to be anything fancy, I just want a full set of wheels to swap out.

I've been doing some research about performance mods. Seems like there are guys just slapping on superchargers and gaining 100-150+ HP. Is this for real? To gain 100 real horsepower on an STi, you need to do some serious work. Are there any 'must do' mods for daily driving, or is it pretty good out of the box? From searching around, it seems like most people are keeping their car pretty stock (which is cool with me, since it seems like there's already a lot of good tech in it.) The possibility of slapping a supercharger on down the line and getting close to ZL1 HP levels is pretty tempting though - is the engine and drive train really that strong that it can take it?

Any other hints or advice for a first time American sports car owner? Thanks!
SplorgFlorgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
JustinOpinion

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The first thing you're going to love is the sound. You'll never want to go back to that "two bees trapped in a soda can" sound again..... ;-)
Welcome and best of luck with it!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Pigdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Arctic Blue Convert
Snow.... RWD V8.... not advised

As to getting close to ZL1 hp with supercharging and add ons. Be cheaper and wiser to buy the ZL1
Pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Well, A lot of snow, probably not a good idea, but hey...YOLO.

get a good set of snow tires and outside of more than 2 inches of snow you'll be ok. Ground clearance will be an issue in larger amounts though.

Why not get the Camaro, and then a old jeep or other 4x4? Get an 20 year old Toyota Pickup for cryin out loud...that'll get you around no problem.

and yes, my single bolt on SC gained me 200HP, 150TQ to the wheels, according to base and final dyno. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...77#post9796677
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
bcrich1975

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Just to chime in on the snow issue.
I live in upstate New York and own a '16 1SS 6 speed.
Drove it all last winter using Nitto NT90W tires and had no problems at all. There were only two days I did not drive it and it was during very heavy snowfalls where ground clearance would have been an issue.
Proper tires are the key.
bcrich1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Jessyb13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
i switched from purely imports aswell, and nothing compares to the big V8, youll never wanna go back, as for the snow, im canadian, i store it lol, good luck is all i got to say haha

welcome to the club
Jessyb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Dont listen to 'em, I bought the ss AS my winter car (I have a c7 as well). Its fine, budget for a good set of performance winter tires.

I owned a 08 sti... biggest pos I ever owned! The ss is such a step up in every way from your STI, you wont believe it.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
SplorgFlorgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Dont listen to 'em, I bought the ss AS my winter car (I have a c7 as well). Its fine, budget for a good set of performance winter tires.

I owned a 08 sti... biggest pos I ever owned! The ss is such a step up in every way from your STI, you wont believe it.
Do you have dedicated wheels or just separate tires?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
SplorgFlorgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigdog View Post
Snow.... RWD V8.... not advised

As to getting close to ZL1 hp with supercharging and add ons. Be cheaper and wiser to buy the ZL1
I'm honestly contemplating it, it looks like realistically a nicely specced out 2SS with 1LE is going to be over 50k.. the ZL1 without 1LE is around 60K and I think I'd be happy with it without the 1LE...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
I bought a set of 17" wheels with some Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's and they are fantastic
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
SplorgFlorgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
I bought a set of 17" wheels with some Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's and they are fantastic
Do they fit over the Brembos? That is my biggest concern with dropping too small.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Went from 2 Evo X's (2010 and 2014. Both were FULLY loaded, full leather heated recaros, nav etc) to the '16 2SS. I don't ever see myself getting a non RWD v8 now lol (already started research for a zo6). Imports definitely have nothing to offer anymore to the performance market, they have NOT kept up with the times. They still offer the same thing they offered back in 08. Even if they haven't like the new BMW m4 that costs 80k (and gets WALKED by an SS that's 39k mspr lol) It's 2017... Crap power, the must for modding, expensive as hell for what it offers, expensive to repair, high insurance etc. Even before the evo's I had 2 more imports (literally all my cars were imports and drive MANY including GTRs and Porsche's).

You truly will not be disappointing and will most likely stick with RWD V8s haha. The symphony of a STOCK 6.2L LT1, not even modded alone is enough to make you keep buying one!

Driving differences between AWD and RWD has gone down a lot with the new generation RWDs. AWD will ALWAYS have an advantage over RWD but the advantage isn't a HUGE gap like it used to be thanks to technological advances of driving modes/traction control AND tires.

Superchargers indeed do add about 80 rwhp but they also cost 8 to 12k installed and are the biggest/best power for the bang you get. Headers/cams also do add quite a bit of power but you'll always get more power by a supercharger and most combine them all which if you do for the LT1, you are looking at 650+ on crappy 91 pump gas at the rear wheels.

I might also suggest that you just might want to look into the ZL1 instead of a 2SS 1LE. I would assume that the 2SS 1LE will MSRP about 57k (1LE is a $6500 package if I am not mistaken so build and price your 2SS on Chevy website and add 6500 to it) and ZL1 is 63k to 70k. May even find one that has a deal somewhere and get it for 60-62k ZL1 would be totally worth the extra if you can swing it. Though keep in mind the insurance will most likely be higher.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
SplorgFlorgman

Cool, thanks for the info man. Yeah, that's kind of what I'm almost starting to think now.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
While I don't have the SS, my V6 is my only car and up here in Canada we get some decent snow. My last car was a 2003 Mazda so this was my first RWD car, with 2.5x the hp of my Mazda that I drove in winter and it was totally fine. I have the RS package and downsized from 20s to 18s Michillien X-ice Xi3 for the winter. I'm not sure if they would clear the brembos on the SS.

I didn't have any problems in the winter, just drive accelerating at a normal speed like your driving a Corolla. The horsepower is only a problem if you make it a problem. You may have 450hp on tap but you don't need to access all that during the winter (although its pretty fun to do so in empty snow covered parking lots).
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote