Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
wnyzl11le

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Front Brake Pad Replacements

I was just searching the forum and located this

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528672

But I was wondering if anyone has been running anything else in 2019? I have a track day at Watkins Glen coming up and have less then half my fronts left (did some other track days).
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Also interested.

Did you do your track days on the factory pads I'm assuming? Any issues?
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
I did five events on the factory pads before I changed them out, and they still have some life left. They performed well in all environments.

I'm now running GLoc R12s in the front and R10s in the rear. Initial bite and overall torque is much greater but I suspect these will not last five events as the stock pads did. I will probably drop the fronts to R10s and see how long those last. If I get equal life out of the GLocs vs. stock pads, I will probably go back to the stock pads.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
wnyzl11le

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Also interested.

Did you do your track days on the factory pads I'm assuming? Any issues?
I am hard on brakes so I have done 6 20 min track runs on my stock pads no problem at all. I am going to Watkins Glen in a couple weeks and they require 50% or greater to pass tech. I also live in the city of buffalo so I am in a lot of stop and go traffic on my way to work.

I currently have around 40% left on the stock pads.

I did end up getting another stock set.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
How much life are people getting out of rotors? Burning through the factory set and then just putting race pads on is no issue? I thought there were problems switching compounds on the same rotors after you tracked heavily with a different compound.

Or are people having them turned down a bit? I am pretty new to this stuff, trying to take it all in before I do my first track day.

wnyzl11le, did you get an alignment before you went or just did it on the factory street alignment? (can take to PM's if it's a thread jack)
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
wnyzl11le

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
How much life are people getting out of rotors? Burning through the factory set and then just putting race pads on is no issue? I thought there were problems switching compounds on the same rotors after you tracked heavily with a different compound.

Or are people having them turned down a bit? I am pretty new to this stuff, trying to take it all in before I do my first track day.

wnyzl11le, did you get an alignment before you went or just did it on the factory street alignment? (can take to PM's if it's a thread jack)
The track is narrow and I didn't want to mess with the street setup. I am bringing the car in for a track alignment when I put the new tires on before the glen.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyzl11le View Post
I was just searching the forum and located this

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528672

But I was wondering if anyone has been running anything else in 2019? I have a track day at Watkins Glen coming up and have less then half my fronts left (did some other track days).
I've done all my track days on the OEM pads - no complaints!
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
I am hard on brakes so I have done 6 20 min track runs on my stock pads no problem at all. I am going to Watkins Glen in a couple weeks and they require 50% or greater to pass tech. I also live in the city of buffalo so I am in a lot of stop and go traffic on my way to work.

I currently have around 40% left on the stock pads.

I did end up getting another stock set.
I was recently up with NRPCA at the Glen. Had a friend that instructs up there take my car out for a few laps as I am a complete beginner. His skill level was much greater than mine and it was a hell of alot more fun. He said the brakes could use a little more initial bite, we had just installed new OEM pads a couple day before driving up as well as new fluid. I may be up there with some buddies for CMR this Sun-Tues, I won't be driving though, forgot about home taxes this month.

Our traffic and roads really do suck here.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
wnyzl11le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps0f View Post
I was recently up with NRPCA at the Glen. Had a friend that instructs up there take my car out for a few laps as I am a complete beginner. His skill level was much greater than mine and it was a hell of alot more fun. He said the brakes could use a little more initial bite, we had just installed new OEM pads a couple day before driving up as well as new fluid. I may be up there with some buddies for CMR this Sun-Tues, I won't be driving though, forgot about home taxes this month.

Our traffic and roads really do suck here.
Yes our roads suck!!. I live off hertel and it is crazy how bad they are.

I will be at the glen on the 19th with the lotus club for an HPDE event. We should meet up for a beer. One of the other ZLE in the area lives just around the corner from me as well.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Yes our roads suck!!. I live off hertel and it is crazy how bad they are.

I will be at the glen on the 19th with the lotus club for an HPDE event. We should meet up for a beer. One of the other ZLE in the area lives just around the corner from me as well.
That's awesome! I am in Kenmore off of Delaware, but lived on Parkside off of Hertel growing up. My work is on Delaware next to an auto shop across from Immediate care. My brother has his blue convertable everyday in the summer out front. And I drive on nicer days, or if I know I will have free time after work. I can only go to Sunday to Tuesday events, small business owner problems.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
wnyzl11le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps0f View Post
That's awesome! I am in Kenmore off of Delaware, but lived on Parkside off of Hertel growing up. My work is on Delaware next to an auto shop across from Immediate care. My brother has his blue convertible everyday in the summer out front. And I drive on nicer days, or if I know I will have free time after work. I can only go to Sunday to Tuesday events, small business owner problems.
I hear you man. If I see them out front I will swing by and say hello.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
I've done all my track days on the OEM pads - no complaints!
Off topic, but I was used that our screen names are opposites.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
G-Loc's. I love them. www.greeneperformance.com has them and they are made and drop shipped right from G-Loc in the carolina's. I have 10's up front and 8's for the back.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
Hey guys,

I see a lot of threads on pads, where to get, different types, etc, but not much about the rotors.
Since ours are 2 piece, is the approach to replace just the rotor and not the "hat"? I prefer the stock pieces, so is there a good place to get them? I see non-factory 1-piece units at the typical auto parts stores (not for me). I see we can get the OEM brembo's at the dealer, but obviously this is full retail. I live next to ThatGMPartsGuy so this is better than paying full retail dealer cost. Is this the only option to get the factory rotor?
I have picked up a couple sets of OEM Brembo pads on ebay as some others here have but don't see many options for the rotors.
Thanks
Mods: RotoFab Big Gulp, 2" Kooks, Metco 9.1" pulley, Green belt, 103 NW TB, Tune, WeapX Boost Chiller, ADM Coolant reservoir, Jokerz Full Tilt SC Port, Elite E2X Can, Corsa Sport Catback, LED markers, 1LE Tail lights, HO reverse LED's, Red SC Lid, Forgestar 17x11/MickeyT Street R's for Drags
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote