Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Unhappy I don't want a million asses in my car.

I don't even want a dozen!

When I was entering my order for the new Camaro, I talked to the dealer about LPO (dealer-installed) options, specifically black split-spoke wheels, 6-piston brakes, floor mats, cargo mat, and illuminated bow tie.

He tells me that those items must be installed at the dealer before I take delivery of the car.

He also tells me, that sometimes the vehicle arrives before the LPO items arrive.

I tell him that my plan is to take the vehicle to a buddy immediately after pickup in order to get a 6-month wax put on, and a proper detailing so that the paint doesn't get those swirlies that my current car has.

He tells me that he can skip the wash and detail, but they would still need to remove protective plastic wrap - something I would rather have done at the detailing shop, and also, something I would rather do - so satisfying.

So, with all of these things that must be done, there will obviously be downtime between when the vehicle is delivered to the dealer, and when I can pick it up.

And I understand that people will need to move it, and though I believe their policy is to keep plastic on the seat until I take it, I just know that somebody will come in, wanting to buy one, and an over eager salesperson will say, "Oh, I got this new Garnet Red one in the back for a customer, but come take a look at it. Oh, you want to sit in it? Sure, get a feel for it. Yeah, lets get the keys, you can start it up, take a listen. Real quick around the parking lot?....."

I don't want this to happen.

What can I do?

Ideally, this is how I'd like to see delivery day going:

Dealer calls me up, says "Joe, your car is being delivered today, will be here around 10am." I show up at dealer, finish any paperwork, shoot the shit about cars for a little bit, then watch as my beautiful machine gets delivered and unloaded.

Then, a quick look around and they let me drive it into the shop where they quickly and carefully install the LPO options, which had already arrived, of course.

Shake hands with the dealer, hop in the car, drive it out of the shop and then very gingerly drive it to the detailers where the plastic wrap is removed, it's given a perfect wash job, paint repaired (completely polished and any orange peel buffed out & polished), quartz coating, and it's windows tinted.

Is that too much to ask...
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net

Last edited by joemosfet; 10-12-2015 at 06:02 PM.
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Having ordered my '12 5.0 from the factory the way I wanted, I felt exactly the way you did. I followed it every step of the way, and with some of the help of a bunch of great employees, I knew exactly when it would arrive to within a few hours.

I spoke my concerns to the gent I ordered from and he assured me it wouldn't be used for test drives, or letting people sit in it, etc. Just be upfront with them. I told them a few of the same things, don't wash it, don't drill the front plate, no dealer stickers / decals etc. Most of them get it, some of us owners are a nutty bunch and they'll usually gladly accommodate our quirks

If they don't, find another dealer, good thing about Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers, they're usually plenty around. Although I doubt any dealer would have issues with what you're asking.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
This is why I am telling my dealer to let me know as soon as the car hauler gets there, I will be meeting them there as soon as it gets backed off the hauler. All the dealer is required to do is a PDI, which is a pre delivery inventory, think that is the correct meaning for that acronym...meaning they just have to check fluids, tire pressure, etc. to insure the car is ready to be driven and is OK. Plastic does not have to be removed, I am not having my dealer touch anything, especially no wash. I am the 1st order from my dealer and I worried about the same thing, "hey guys, the new '16 6th gen, come look, come sit, come drive it!" Hell no! Just tell them no to everything, the only thing you can't do is backed the car off the hauler for liability reasons, and a PDI has to be done. You can even sign paperwork/finance stuff as soon as the VIN is given out, which is before the car will be delivered if you want to.
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
This is why I am telling my dealer to let me know as soon as the car hauler gets there, I will be meeting them there as soon as it gets backed off the hauler. All the dealer is required to do is a PDI, which is a pre delivery inventory, think that is the correct meaning for that acronym...meaning they just have to check fluids, tire pressure, etc. to insure the car is ready to be driven and is OK. Plastic does not have to be removed, I am not having my dealer touch anything, especially no wash. I am the 1st order from my dealer and I worried about the same thing, "hey guys, the new '16 6th gen, come look, come sit, come drive it!" Hell no! Just tell them no to everything, the only thing you can't do is backed the car off the hauler for liability reasons, and a PDI has to be done. You can even sign paperwork/finance stuff as soon as the VIN is given out, which is before the car will be delivered if you want to.
PDI is pre-delivery inspection.

Maybe you can get them to vacuum pack your car in a big storage bag, that is what some people have done but I think it's $300 extra.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
joemosfet

Yeah.. the dealer said pulling the plastic is part of PDI to ensure there aren't any defects from the factory under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Maybe you can get them to vacuum pack your car in a big storage bag, that is what some people have done but I think it's $300 extra.
Heh, serious? Maybe get it on ice?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Any chance theyd let me pull moy own plastic, such a satisfying feeling >.<
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Yeah.. the dealer said pulling the plastic is part of PDI to ensure there aren't any defects from the factory under it.

Heh, serious? Maybe get it on ice?
The dealer has no clue what they are talking about, you can leave the plastic covers, wraps, stickers, etc.
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
Any chance theyd let me pull moy own plastic, such a satisfying feeling >.<
Pat Obrien West here in the Cleveland area let me do this with mine back in 2009. But yeah there was another guy (service person) there with me as I did it. and yes it was a VERY satisfying feeling and the didnt let anyone sit in mine or test drive it either as requested.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
My car that I ordered was put on the showroom floor for a day. It was no big deal. I was the first 1LE that they ever had. Cranked it up and drove it out the showroom. Relax, it will still smell like a new car! Ain't got no time to remove the plastic!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
joemosfet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
I just checked in with my dealer so as not to be a stranger, and the ordering fellow told me to be aware that my car being an early build might not ship with an invoice. He said that he's seen new model builds have to sit up to two weeks because of the delay with invoicing from the factory. He said in that case, the car would ship with a blank window sticker. Do you have any experience with any such issue? He promised if it happens that he would keep it locked in the showroom, but like another forum user, I don't want a "million asses in my car!"
I hadn't even considered this an option. I suggested to Tara Martin that maybe she could work with the dealer and maybe give a bit of extra good-faith money so they'd let her take it home before the invoice was ready.

I know I'd lose my mind knowing that my car is just sitting at the dealership with OTHER people drooling over it instead of me!! What if they scratch it or get their kids greasy little fingerprints on it!

Tara, I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Both happen, shipping without Invoice and shipping with an incomplete Window Sticker. I do not remember an official explanation. The incomplete Window Sticker is the easiest to remedy. In my case the dealer put my vehicle in a small lot, held no more than a dozen vehicles, and the Invoice arrived the next fay, but I have seen cases where it took up to two weeks. The dealer can not retail deliver until he owns it and can not own it absent the invoice.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
When I got my C7 Stingray this year, I made the mistake of letting them detail it, was the worst job ever; and they assured me that the guy who did it only worked on their Performance Cars and took pride in his work. I told my salesman that this was the worst job ever and he should not brag about their detailer, who in my eyes should be fired.

I don't want to put all dealerships in the same boat, but, if you can, TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL DETAIL SHOP; next time around I will.
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
I hadn't even considered this an option. I suggested to Tara Martin that maybe she could work with the dealer and maybe give a bit of extra good-faith money so they'd let her take it home before the invoice was ready.

I know I'd lose my mind knowing that my car is just sitting at the dealership with OTHER people drooling over it instead of me!! What if they scratch it or get their kids greasy little fingerprints on it!

Tara, I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated.
Thanks! Will do!

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
I know some people are "particular" about stuff, I'd hate to be your salesman. ;-) What's gonna happen when a bug eventually hits it, or maybe a rock? It's a car, it's not going to stay perfect for long if you plan to use it. Then again I bought a new Colorado in May and already have 15k on it, cracked windshield, chips, bugs, paint all over it....just ignore me.