Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Oh, and you'll need good quality head set for sound.

OK, if you pull the trigger on iRacing, let me know and I will email you all the details how to get started. And how to set up the system.
I prefer email (via PM) vs threads or PM as there is a ton of info to share.

Basically, iRacing is as close to a pro sim as it gets.
There are safety licenses, rating licenses, etc.
Your real name appear beside your car for the world to see. No Fast Eddie here It is a superbly designed system, that starts one as a Rookie and offers proper and well managed transition into higher license levels and series. Thats where the fun is! Albeit anyone can purchase any car/track and "test" outside the official races/series, or with friends in a private league.

Top series are officially sponsored by big names like NASCAR, Porsche, etc and pay purses of hundreds of thousands. But one has to reach a Pro level and qualify.
Most iRacing series follow real series schedules, albeit some expand them to other continents to please the world wide membership. One can spectate any race (even have a driver's view), and 24 Hrs at LeMans, or Daytona is as much fun as RL. Many pros participate in these from IMSA, Nascar, F1, V8 Supercars, DTM, etc.

Ok, ive derailed this thread completely, so my apologies to the OP. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:39 AM   #30
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
This is very good and useful info Trackclub - one question- what is the general cost to replicate what you have as a set up? (Seriously considering it).
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #31
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Kickass TrackClub! Thank you very much for this info.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #32
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
This is very good and useful info Trackclub - one question- what is the general cost to replicate what you have as a set up? (Seriously considering it).
I will put some numbers together with scaling costs regarding components. Keep in mind, i had started with a simple Logitech set, clamped to a table, an office chair, a tv and my work laptop Then i upgraded the pedals to Fanatec. Then got the Obutto seat. Then a Fanatec wheel base. So this is by no means an all or nothing proposition. In any case, will put some component suggestions plus costs. Have to do some website hunting for that. Cheers!
Old 11-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Kickass TrackClub! Thank you very much for this info.
My pleasure!
Old 11-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #34
Zl1+911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I will put some numbers together with scaling costs regarding components. Keep in mind, i had started with a simple Logitech set, clamped to a table, an office chair, a tv and my work laptop Then i upgraded the pedals to Fanatec. Then got the Obutto seat. Then a Fanatec wheel base. So this is by no means an all or nothing proposition. In any case, will put some component suggestions plus costs. Have to do some website hunting for that. Cheers!
Thanks! Your current set up seems to be a good balance of cost and performance....
Old 11-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #35
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks! Your current set up seems to be a good balance of cost and performance....
I tend to think so! Ok here's some kit choices and numbers:

1. Firstly, one can use an existing TV, plus a decent PC, head set and a mouse. These components are necessary regardless of other rig choices below. The iRacing system adjusts frame rates and graphics depending on the PC capabilities, so there might be some quality throttling down, but still provide for a decent experience.
But, for somebody wishing to do it in a more dedicated fashion, keeping refresh frame rates higher vs lower will help with overall performance (likely talking of hundredths vs tenths) and provide for better display of all changes at speed. Better graphics card, will provide for more visible details, better picture quality, etc.

So, let's assume a gaming PC at about $1000 (memory and graphics card and cooling are the most important aspects here). There are cos that will build one for ya or one can buy a big name from a big store. Do some research. Mine is about $1400 in USD. Think twice about water cooling PCs as if you spring a leak it is disastrous.

A single TV works just fine, you just adjust the cockpit view according to its side to get a realistic view out of the windshield. The system calculates the distance from your eyes plus screen size and recommends the value automatically. On a single TV you will not see across the wholr width of a windshield, but that's not an issue. 3 monitors solve this issue, but increase graphics load tremendously and may reduce frame rates. My TV is 38x22. Wider would be better, but mine works just fine. With a single TV you use steering wheel buttons to look L and R. With a 3 monitor set up this becomes largely unnecessary. Anyhow, gaming PC, TV, gaming keyboard/headset/mouse bundle:

$1,700 (and up from here)

1. The cheapest rig would be Logitech G923 (wheel base, steering wheel and pedals) for $500. It has the best table clamp, if the rig will be installed to a table top vs a dedicated seat rig. It is a base set up, but will still do the job, albeit other rigs will likely feel more robust and better mirror a RL experience. But, that's how i started. So:

$1700+$500=$2,200

2. A step up from the above would be Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari 599 bundle rig (wheel base, steering wheel and pedals) for $880. So:

$1,700+$880=$2580

3. A step up from the above (imo only) is Fanatec gear. ClubSport wheel base V2.5 at $549, ClubSport pedals V3 at $360, plus CSL Elite P1 steering wheel at $170 for a total of $1,079. This is a top choice before plunging into Direct Drive technology wheel base and custom pedals, which introduces a big jump in $$$. So:

$1,700+$1,079=$2,779

That's what i have. Note the newer CSL Elite WRC steering wheel for $200 may be a better option as its buttons are better placed on the R side.
Also, the pedals can be ordered in an inverted placement for $600. I'd get the WRC steering wheel for $30 more, but likely bulk at spending extra $240 for the inverted pedals. Ask your wallet

Fanatec gear has 3 levels: CSL which is basic, ClubSport which is now middle ground (used to be top dog) and Podium which is a new top dog. Whatever you buy, ensure it all can work together.

For those wanting to spend more, custom pedals as mentioned in previous post will up this number by about $1,000-2,000 and up. I dont think it is necessary per se.

4. Not sure about Thrustmaster, but for sure any Fanatec gear needs to be bolted in (vs clamped). There are big forces placed both on steering wheel and pedals. So, when picking a seat rig, ensure it is sturdy in 2 places: the wheel base location and its support and a plate upon which you bolt in the pedals is well supported. If you pick a flimsy design, it will bend and flex and spoil your experience. With that in mind, here are 3 seat rig choices:

Obutto oZone (what i have) at $393. It is compact foot print wise, yet very sturdy and has a comfy seat. Its plates may not come pre drilled, so DYI step here. I had to take mine to a sheet metal place as the steel was too hard for any of my drills. Also, the pedal plate may require a simple piece of wood or another stopper to make it completely solid (easy), plus drilling to attach pedals. Overall, ive had this rig for a few yrs now and i am very happy with it. The price is superb for what ya get. So:

$2,779+$393=$3,172

A step up from here *might* be a TrakRacer TR8 for $899. So:

$2,779+$899=$3,678

A more substantial step up (i think) from the Obutto would be an RSEAT S1 for $1,099. So:

$2,779+$1,099=$3,878

Given a $200 difference between the last 2, I'd get an RSEAT. But, as you can see, it is easy to make it a run away train $ wise. For the function and quality vs $ the Obutto cannot be beat imo. But, if i felt a need to upgrade, I'd get an RSEAT.

SUMMARY:

$3,200 gets you a dedicated seat rig, top quality steering base, ditto wheel and pedals, gaming PC etc. At this level, success will depend on your driving skill (and practice time in a BIG way to become familiar with a car, the venue, adjust for weather conditions, etc) vs quality of your equipment. 100% guarantee, as this is a proven race winning, Time Trial world record setting set up at the top level of iRacing competition.

Many pros use these components, albeit many go for pedal upgrades (especially those mentioned in my previous post. You can see them on a couple of rigs in above pix). But, imo this is splitting hairs. But, it may become important if getting a tenth starts to matter to somebody. But if one is just starting on a sim this will be completely inconsequential for a long time. And maybe forever, so dont blow money away. It is way too easy to make a $3k rig into a $5k rig while getting a nominal quality uptick in the process. Some folks spend 5 digits, but aren't any faster. Use your "value head".

There are plenty of sim gear reviews on YouTube. Most are objective. But remember: social media is a business. Some are sponsored. Some get free gear. Etc.

IRacing has a Black Friday sale on. You can purchase a 3 month trial as well. Besides, Xmas is coming and no doubt the prices will go down vs up (albeit Fanatec doesnt do sales as far as i recall). But TVs, PCs etc go at big discounts.

So there you have it. Any questions just holler and I will be happy to share whatever info i can assist with. Cheers!
Old 11-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #36
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I do love this forum, I would have never thought that a iRacing rig would really improve my driving skills, but now it all makes complete sense! Thanks for all the great and refreshing input TrackClub!

How do I explain to my wife that next to the track bug I am now also converting into a gamer...???? Suggestions welcome...

cheers
cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
I do love this forum, I would have never thought that a iRacing rig would really improve my driving skills, but now it all makes complete sense! Thanks for all the great and refreshing input TrackClub!

How do I explain to my wife that next to the track bug I am now also converting into a gamer...???? Suggestions welcome...

cheers
cirpower
On a serious side, spending a few hrs a week in a sim does wonders to one's skill, as iRacing modeling is incredibly realistic, none of the cars have stability control (but some have adjustable TC based on RL set ups).

Tons of pros that don't have access to manufacturer pro sims, or are offered limited time there, use iRacing for practice before RL races. Many of them put in hundreds of laps before a race. If it wasnt realistic, none of them would waste their time on a "game". So, experience on iRacing absolutely translates to better skill in RL. Every single aspect of driving at the limit applies equally to both. It takes a bit of time for one's brain to get used to no G forces, but soon enough your brain actually "generates" G forces based on what you'd experience in R life. Such as bracing with legs etc. The lack of G force is actually a learning advantage, as you have to rely on limited feedback only. Specifically steering wheel force feedback regarding grip and proper vision. A sim is an incredible tool to train/improve vision skills, which of course is the most important aspect in RL.

PS
Tell your wife she will have a house TV all to herself to watch her fave shows, while you will be iRacing
Or claim mental health during pandemic
Old 11-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #38
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Dear Santa...
Old 11-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Dear Santa...
That works surprisingly well
Old 11-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #40
Zl1+911

this was great documentation! Thank you so much!!

hoping for a bonus to allow for this.......
Old 11-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
this was great documentation! Thank you so much!!

hoping for a bonus to allow for this.......
My pleasure and fingers crossed for ya!
Old 11-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #42
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
sub'd for birthday wishes