Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
Love my AWE exhaust but...

So, just installed my AWE Touring cat-back exhaust with performance link pipes last week. Let me say, I absolutely love the sound of my car now. I knew it would be louder but I slightly underestimated the new sound with installing the PLPs. Regardless, I absolutely love it!

The point of this post is that I feel like I have lost some responsiveness in the low end range. Its kind of hard to explain. The butt dyno just isn't feeling the same "umph" that I was feeling before. The week before the exhaust install, I installed a regular ROTO-FAB dry intake and a Soler TB. With those mods, I was loving the new intake sounds and I could feel an improvement in throttle response and improvement in the overall responsiveness of the car as a whole. I have 200+ miles on the Soler TB so the re-lean should be well developed by now. After the exhaust install, responsiveness just feels "meh" sometimes.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced something like this when installing a full exhaust and getting rid of the secondary cats. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the topic or background can drop a nugget of information or two. I don't know if backpressure is a thing or not with supercharged engines but its the only thing that sticks out with my previous experiences with modifying cars.

I live in Northern Virginia so I have very few places to actually open up the full length of my RPM range. So I spend a lot of time in the low end of the RPMs. Maybe...the louder exhaust sound is making me think I'm farther in the RPM range than I actually am. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.

Thanks for reading my essay. Cheers fellow ZL1 Peeps!
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I bet it's all feeling.. I felt the same way with a previous car of mine. It almost felt faster when it was quieter. i dunno
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A tune at this point might help out.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
This is strange, louder always "feels" faster; to me anyway.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
For what it's worth, when I removed my rotofab and ported throttle body my car felt faster. I know it sounds dumb but I noticed the car felt stronger and more consistent. No dips in power that I would get in 3rd gear under full acceleration. I think it has to do with how sensitive the car is to changes with the stock tune. Now I only have a kooks axle back and the car runs great with no issues. I do miss the extra whine though.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 AM   #6
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
My Soler TB lost its magic after a few weeks... try unplugging the battery then plug it in again and go through the relearn again. It's a hassle but this will tell you if the lost "umph" is something learned.

Good luck and congrats on the exhaust!

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
I have lost low end grunt on some of my other vehicles when installing an exhaust with less back pressure. That's for sure.

On a side note, it's pretty discouraging to know that I have a Rotofab CAI and Soler TB on the way and reading that people are unhappy with that setup now. Before I ordered those two things, I had read nothing but good things. Just my luck...
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
You know, GM does a pretty good job with the factory set up. Adding all those aftermarket parts, without a tune, is like playing pin the tail on the donkey.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
less back pressure tends to take a little off the bottom end torque at least it can feel that way in the seat.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
The exhaust sound can throw you off as well. I have a buddy of mine with a camaro putting down about 100whp less than mine, but his exhaust is so quiet that I feel like it pulls harder than mine. It's very strange, but mine is most definitely faster though. It's the loudness of mine that kinda takes away from it (I also have AWE exhaust).
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRomeo View Post
I live in Northern Virginia so I have very few places to actually open up the full length of my RPM range.

PM sent. I live in Fairfax also.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Three things allways make my Camaro "feel" faster.
1. Loud
2. Clean
3. Fresh oil change
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
I have lost low end grunt on some of my other vehicles when installing an exhaust with less back pressure. That's for sure.

On a side note, it's pretty discouraging to know that I have a Rotofab CAI and Soler TB on the way and reading that people are unhappy with that setup now. Before I ordered those two things, I had read nothing but good things. Just my luck...
That's when headers are included. Catback exhaust isn't going to affect backpressure much at all.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post

Don't be discouraged. The Roto and Soler combo is a really good setup IMHO. Like I said, I rolled around with those mods only for like 2 weeks before I did the exhaust and I could tell a noticeable, fun difference in the car. You wont be disappointed.

I think in my situation, I'm just adding new stuff every other week where I don't even get used to the new changes with the car before I introduce the next modification. Rolled around with Roto/Soler combo for like two weeks, then added the AWE cat-back and PLPs for a week and now I have the N/X LT4 lid ready to be installed.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote