Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Tire Size suggestions

I recently acquired a 2017 ZL1 6mt. Beyond happy with the car, even coming out of some stiff German competition. I was looking to buy a set of wheels, and since Volk Racing TE37 doesn't have a proper fitment for this car (they are expensive, but this might be the first car I've owned where I believe it would look perfect on. And I've owned numerous performance cars).
I was thinking of opting for the MMR Z/28 style wheel or MMR ZR1 style wheels. Both look excellent to me, but I'm leaning toward the Z/28 style unless someone has a compelling reason (weight, strength, etc) that the ZR1 style would be better suited.
My question is about tire fitment: I like a meatier sidewall, but don't want rubbing of any kind (rubbing is counterproductive to any mods you did to suspension, stickier rubber, lighter wheels, etc...).
I'm currently running a 100% stock car. Can I fit 285/35/20 for the front and 305/35/20 in the rear, without rubbing, if I stuck to the same OEM fitment wheels (both MMR wheels are identical to OEM sizes)? All I'm looking for is a bit more sidewall and maybe a bit less tire gap. I would even consider a set of mild lowering springs as well, but the fitment is the most important thing here. So if I need to stay stock ride height to make this work, I will. If it would work with a slightly lower ride height (and doesn't effect warranty. I'm still learning what's acceptable and not acceptable in terms of mods and warranty for Chevrolet), I would do that instead. I would even consider a 3-5mm spacer if necessary, as I don't see that effecting the suspension geometry (at least with small ones like that) too much.
I didn't want to relocate the wiring harness that seems to trouble others here with more aggressive setups, if I didn't have to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Is this the meatier side wall you desire? As you can see this is a square setup. Not what you asked about but dang it looks good.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495728

Here’s some good information if you haven’t already found this thread.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502166

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Jetmech

Drives: 2SS Garnet Red Tricoat (SOLD)
Hi there. What you'd like to do will work but you'll have to move the wire conduit. My original setup (pictured below) are MMR M017 wheels with Micky Thompson Street comps. 305/35/20 and 275/35/20. I didn't move the conduit right away and when I finally had gotten to it the tire had rubbed thru the wheel well liner and was wearing the conduit down. So if not moved it will eventually reach the wire bundle. I wore through the rears quickly due to a bad rear wheel alignment from the factory. So I went with Pirelli Pzero all season on the rears. The fronts just recently wore down to the cord so I had a free set of Pzero 275/40/20 they rub for sure so I'll soon be putting the Pzero 35 back on the front. Just had to try the free ones lol
Attached Images

Jetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 AM   #4
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Is this the meatier side wall you desire? As you can see this is a square setup. Not what you asked about but dang it looks good.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495728

Here’s some good information if you haven’t already found this thread.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502166
That's excellent info, thanks for the link! I don't plan to run a square setup, nor do I plan to run additional negative camber. This ZL1 is my daily, so fitment and tire wear are both a priority. I will track the car a few times, but definitely not enough to make changes based on the couple times a year that the car will see a track... The links you sent do show some meaty setups, most of which are from a slightly smaller diameter wheel, higher profile tires, and a very aggressive suspension setup that creates poke.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:50 AM   #5
TEST DRyVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
Hi there. What you'd like to do will work but you'll have to move the wire conduit. My original setup (pictured below) are MMR M017 wheels with Micky Thompson Street comps. 305/35/20 and 275/35/20. I didn't move the conduit right away and when I finally had gotten to it the tire had rubbed thru the wheel well liner and was wearing the conduit down. So if not moved it will eventually reach the wire bundle. I wore through the rears quickly due to a bad rear wheel alignment from the factory. So I went with Pirelli Pzero all season on the rears. The fronts just recently wore down to the cord so I had a free set of Pzero 275/40/20 they rub for sure so I'll soon be putting the Pzero 35 back on the front. Just had to try the free ones lol
I had someone that's very knowledgeable with tire and wheel fitment send me a pm today. He was very specific in the downsides of running even 5mm more of sidewall on OEM spec wheels and tires. I had done it with so many other cars in my past, most of which had zero problems. But these were predominantly German cars. He pretty much stated what you said above. In order to run a bit higher sidewall on OEM fitment wheels and tires, you will have to make other modifications to compensate, or I would run into the same issues you did. I appreciate the heads up! After his pm and what you wrote above, I will stick with OEM sizing for wheels and tires. That doesn't mean I'll keep the same wheels and tires, it just means I'll run factory spec sizing for both on my ZL1. If I really have the itch for thicker rubber, I would drop down to a 19' wheel...
Thanks Again!