Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
NPP Valves

The NPP Valves have 2 locations, flanges just ahead of the muffler and flanges at the exhaust tips.

How do these work with each other? Do we have the details? The 2nd set seems to be the concerning items across the board as they are in line within the massive 2 7/8" pipes and close off one entire side I think?
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Kracka

Drives: 2021 Corvette Z51
Set #1 are the AFM valves that "close" when the engine kicks down to 4-cylinder operation, set #2 are the NPP valves. When set #2 are open, the exhaust is nearly straight-through with minimal baffling, when they close it forces exhaust to travel through baffles thus quieting the system down.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
It is driving me batty on how quiet the car gets while cruising. I want to hear it... all the time
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Pull fuse #51 and it will keep the NPP valves open.

Then get a Diablosport tuner and turn OFF the AFM and then the AFM valves will always be open. It will never go into V4 mode that way.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
That's the thing, you don't even need to pull fuses or do anything... You can keep your NPP full on track @ all modes via the infotainment system....

I do agree that the vehicle is quite in cabin even with track mode (full open) which isn't really a bad thing. It just comes down to personal pref. I do want more sound, why I am looking on how to fix that without getting headers. Time will tell, especially Borla soon enough
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
That's the thing, you don't even need to pull fuses or do anything... You can keep your NPP full on track @ all modes via the infotainment system....

I do agree that the vehicle is quite in cabin even with track mode (full open) which isn't really a bad thing. It just comes down to personal pref. I do want more sound, why I am looking on how to fix that without getting headers. Time will tell, especially Borla soon enough
That works easier with your M6. With the A8 I suspect that you would not be in 8th gear on the freeway if it is like my A7 in the BMW. It stays in 5th gear in sport mode on the freeway.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post

The reason people are pulling fuses is no matter what mode you are in, when you get to a certain interstate range of RPM , the valves shut. That's why you can't just do it from the interior of the my link display. Pulling thefuse locks the npp valves open all the time, no matter what the car is doing. To control the AFM valves, which have the mind of their own, a range disabler is the easiest way there.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The reason people are pulling fuses is no matter what mode you are in, when you get to a certain interstate range of RPM , the valves shut. That's why you can't just do it from the interior of the my link display. Pulling thefuse locks the valves open all the time, no matter what the car is doing.
So there is a difference when the fuse is pulled vs track mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
That works easier with your M6. With the A8 I suspect that you would not be in 8th gear on the freeway if it is like my A7 in the BMW. It stays in 5th gear in sport mode on the freeway.
That actually makes sense! Thank you for clarifying!!! Never actually thought about A8 haha.
Build thread HERE!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Glen e

Pull fuse 51 and see which way you like it....i think jimmypop did it here , and did not like it.....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437448
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Pull fuse 51 and see which way you like it....i think jimmypop did it here , and did not like it.....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437448
Thank you Glen, I definitely will try whenever the weather isn't in 10s and 20s.
Build thread HERE!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I might try it to see the difference, but I like being able to think and have a conversation in the car while driving, but at the same time it is loud on startup and when getting into it while drivijg it hard...best of both worlds in my opinion.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
I have a range device and pulled fuse 51 on mine. The difference in this from stock is barely noticeable. I was pretty disappointed actually. The range device is starting to give me a CEL about once a week and I have to reset it to remove the CEL. I'm in agreement with Sledge. I want the exhaust to sound aggressive all the time.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
Glen e

What do you think the CEL is all about? I know a Range that I had, if I left the car in a acc mode , engine off, it would throw a CEL.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #14
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Quote:
What do you think the CEL is all about? I know a Range that I had, if I left the car in a acc mode , engine off, it would throw a CEL.
I thought that was the issue also. But there have been a few times I did not have the vehicle in acc mode and it still threw a CEL on startup. The car also won't get out of 1st gear when this happens. I have to turn off the car, unplug the Range from my OBD extension, wait a few minutes, start it up, let it idle and plug the Range device in hot. After a few seconds the CEL will clear. I have the most current version with the most up to date software installed so I'm not sure what the issue is.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote