kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
found a set in stock shop quoted me 5 hours lol **** me
Old 08-25-2022, 03:19 AM   #58
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Do you have to disconnect the driveshaft?

Also looks like you pressed the top bushing frist using the lower upside-down correct?
I don’t think he answered this part of your question but I believe that’s what he did. Looks like it to me anyway!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:20 AM   #59
Dabjbr

I want to tackle this soon myself!
Old 08-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #60
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I did the BMR cradle lock out kit. Seems to help on track. I'm sure not as much as the solid.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:53 PM   #61
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
I don’t think he answered this part of your question but I believe that’s what he did. Looks like it to me anyway!
I did tops first to make sure they fully seated. In the rear there was a tiny gap and imo it's best for the gap to be on the bottom.

It's not a hard job if you have the right tools, took me and a friend about 5 hours to do that, new brake lines and a couple other little things, was on a lift with 3/4'" drive impact, both help a lot.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #62
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I did tops first to make sure they fully seated. In the rear there was a tiny gap and imo it's best for the gap to be on the bottom.

It's not a hard job if you have the right tools, took me and a friend about 5 hours to do that, new brake lines and a couple other little things, was on a lift with 3/4'" drive impact, both help a lot.
I would assume any gap up top would go away after driving as the entire weight of the car presses back onto the subframe. (Requiring retightening of the bolt too)

If there’s gap on the bottom, I would imagine an impact gun would take car of that…. Or maybe jack the rear of the car under each bushing one at a time. The 2k weight should press that bottom bushing in.

This is all speculation of course!
Old 08-26-2022, 11:06 PM   #63
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I would assume any gap up top would go away after driving as the entire weight of the car presses back onto the subframe. (Requiring retightening of the bolt too)

If there’s gap on the bottom, I would imagine an impact gun would take car of that…. Or maybe jack the rear of the car under each bushing one at a time. The 2k weight should press that bottom bushing in.

This is all speculation of course!
Yeah, that's incorrect. As I said, we had a 3/4" impact, it's used to work on diesel trucks... The bushings meet just before the shoulder of the 2nd bushing pressed in hits the subframe, so the gap is permanent. The force required to press these bushing in far exceeds the weight of the car on the bushings, so if the gap is on top it will remain there, the install is permanent.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #64
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yeah, that's incorrect. As I said, we had a 3/4" impact, it's used to work on diesel trucks... The bushings meet just before the shoulder of the 2nd bushing pressed in hits the subframe, so the gap is permanent. The force required to press these bushing in far exceeds the weight of the car on the bushings, so if the gap is on top it will remain there, the install is permanent.
Interesting that they touch before mating against the subframe. Thanks for the explanation. Really good to know!

That means if one were to install the bottom first, you’d inadvertently have a lgap on top which translates into greater wheel/fender gap plus throwing off suspension geometry a tad. Correct?
Old 08-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #65
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Whether to install the top or the bottom bushing flush has been discussed many times with strong supporters on both sides.
The instructions that came with the kit I got state to install the bottom bushing first. IMO this mimics the rubber bushing installation, its flange is flush on the bottom side of the cradle also.

I do believe it doesn't make much difference, because they are in place very tight and most likely will not move.

Instructions attached, step 45, pg 11
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf GM solid cradle bushing kit 84341929.pdf (12.36 MB, 72 views)
Old 08-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #66
Dabjbr

Just installed the bushings! Almost gave up at one point!

Still have to put everything back together. I’ll try to put up a video and images for there to reference. Really hope this upgrade is worth it!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:00 AM   #67
Dabjbr

A few videos for others to reference…

Links fixed! Thanks Carguy55!

Last edited by Dabjbr; 08-30-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:16 AM   #68
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
A few videos for others to reference…

https://youtu.be/Br-rlqR_IS4

https://youtu.be/Hnztu8Yx0u8

https://youtu.be/hWCRX_090w4

Btw, why do my links not work with a preview. Obviously doing something wrong! Lame
For previews to work, need to post links with the full address like www. youtube.com/whatever
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #69
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Nice videos. I dropped the whole cradle to the floor, while leaving the driveshaft connected, and used pullers to push the bushings out, and used the same method to install the new ones. I was a chicken about the torch, but that method, probably, saved 5-hours I bet. I think either the front or rear bushings are hydraulic or something though... Regardless - it's obviously affective, and has been done several times with no reports of big issues.

KUDOS for sharing these helpful videos!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:08 AM   #70
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Nice videos. I dropped the whole cradle to the floor, while leaving the driveshaft connected, and used pullers to push the bushings out, and used the same method to install the new ones. I was a chicken about the torch, but that method, probably, saved 5-hours I bet. I think either the front or rear bushings are hydraulic or something though... Regardless - it's obviously affective, and has been done several times with no reports of big issues.

KUDOS for sharing these helpful videos!
Thanks bud! I contemplated dropping the subframe but didn’t want to disconnect the LSD coolant lines and such. I felt more comfortable using the torch with some tin foil to protect nearby wire harnesses