Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
APEXHNTR

Drives: 2015 Turbo FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Lots. Search function is your friend.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512725
Well, I apologize for being rude. You seem to be exactly the kind of person I'm looking for. Have you not done any weight reduction modifications? Still on OE staggered 20s? Why/why not?
APEXHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXHNTR View Post
How many events, on what tracks, and what lap times do you have logged on the OE suspension? To be perfectly fair, all of my experience has been in shared cars, so they're not exactly babied...I'm thinking preventative maintainence

EDIT: I apologize if I seem off-putting. It's a little frustrating to me when I ask for quantitive data, and all I get is people telling me I don't know what I'm doing. Instead of helpful sharing of research, I'm greeted by a bunch of internet-tough guys who think they know me and my experience level.
I bet you always drive flat out
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Lets make it clear: "mechanical aero" is an oxymoron. And all serious aero is adjustable. But the latter doesnt make it "mechanical" in any way shape or form.

But lets go back to you driving 3 different 1LE s for a total of about 100 track days? Are you a test driver of some sort? Where did you get those cars from?

Lastly, the 1le handles so well because of its superb balance which is mostly achieved thru a combination of its suspension and elsd. Certainly not its weight. And also not its tires.

I so hope this is just a hoax
Yes, of some sort.

It is crucial to this discussion that we make it perfectly clear that "handles so well" is ENTIRELY relative. Compared to a Miata, or an FRS/BRZ, the 1LE is a boat. Yes, it is incrementally better than most of the other V8 3500+ pound cars on the market, but there is PLENTY of meat left on the bone. That's where I'm at right now. Better handling can be had by shedding weight, stiffening the suspension, using stickier tires, and adding properly-tuned aero. I've got the first three covered.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...EDIT: I apologize if I seem off-putting. It's a little frustrating to me when I ask for quantitive data, and all I get is people telling me I don't know what I'm doing. Instead of helpful sharing of research, I'm greeted by a bunch of internet-tough guys who think they know me and my experience level.
Maybe there's something to that. You came in here with guns blazing but shot blanks. Claiming without evidence the MRC dampers fail early, you changing the weight distribution shockingly changes the handling balance {duh}, running crap tires narrower than stock, and wonder why the car doesn't handle? All while posting not-the-fastest lap-times while claiming you're hot stuff and assuming we're retards?

Now, if you had searched for the tiniest amount of time, you would've already noticed you can buy a GT4.R that's turn-key amazingness, no screwing around.

We can be helpful, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
O.P. You should have bought the 2.0T Camaro.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #20
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
O.P. You should have bought the 2.0T Camaro.
I'm actually wondering why he's not looking into a Viper ACR, or a Stohr WF1. Something actually quick. Why bother with all this production car stuff?

Quote:
I apologize for the super long post. All thoughts, comments, and advice are welcomed.
Hey, he did ask for all advice.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #21
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Maybe there's something to that. You came in here with guns blazing but shot blanks. Claiming without evidence the MRC dampers fail early, you changing the weight distribution shockingly changes the handling balance {duh}, running crap tires narrower than stock, and wonder why the car doesn't handle? All while posting not-the-fastest lap-times while claiming you're hot stuff and assuming we're retards?

Now, if you had searched for the tiniest amount of time, you would've already noticed you can buy a GT4.R that's turn-key amazingness, no screwing around.

We can be helpful, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
My evidence is personal experience. I am not so green as to have ignored the weight distribution when planning my weight shedding. Again, assuming my experience level.....

My "crap" tires are slicks and RS4s, both of which I have had tremendous success with.

I'm not sure who said I was hot stuff, and that you were a retard? If I was setting lap records, I wouldn't be on here, I'd be talking to Randy Pobst and other professional drivers for pointers. I never said I was the fastest, what I said was that I'm experienced. I'm looking to better myself, because you can always be faster.

And sure, if I had an extra $260k, I'd LOVE to have a GT4.R, but alas, I don't.

Again, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, just not wanting to deal with people who are think they know what I need/don't need without knowing my driving ability, and have never so much as seen video of my driving, much less ridden with me. Not sure why that's too much to ask...Had the first comments been "Hey, I've got "x" amount of track days, with "x" setup, and I haven't found a need for these things, let's compare notes", this would have gone MUCH differently. Instead, I get a bunch of internet-know-it-alls. Look at this thread. We're 21 posts in, and not one iota of technical data has been shared.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #22
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
On topic, I'd be interested in real aero - splitter/diffuser.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #23
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
... I get a bunch of internet-know-it-alls. Look at this thread. We're 21 posts in, and not one iota of technical data has been shared.

You're asking to be spoon-fed instead of putting in few clicks worth of effort to read. At this point you've made your bed.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #24
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Yeah, I think it was this part that set the "tone" of this conversation.
how so?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #25
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

You're asking to be spoon-fed instead of putting in few clicks worth of effort to read. At this point you've made your bed.
I've done plenty of reading and searching. All I have found is ZL1 retrofits, OEM+ "builds", and "splitters" that are nothing more than bumper-mounted, polyurethane lips.

There are three posts besides mine that show up when searching for "chassis mounted splitter". One of them is a build thread, one is a thread you commented on, which has no follow up, no pricing, no technical data, no wind-tunnel testing, not even CFD to show effectiveness. That's what I'm looking for! I want actual data, with numbers and results.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #26
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Yes, of some sort.

It is crucial to this discussion that we make it perfectly clear that "handles so well" is ENTIRELY relative. Compared to a Miata, or an FRS/BRZ, the 1LE is a boat. Yes, it is incrementally better than most of the other V8 3500+ pound cars on the market, but there is PLENTY of meat left on the bone. That's where I'm at right now. Better handling can be had by shedding weight, stiffening the suspension, using stickier tires, and adding properly-tuned aero. I've got the first three covered.
You are a man of a dazzling intellect. But youve avoided my questions, so i have another two for you:

1) how did you reduce weight by "a few hundred pounds"? Did you chop the roof off?
2) how long did you drive a 1le and at what ambient before oil started to overheat?

Your comments about handling and Miatas and BRZs as comparison suggest to me that you never actually drove a stock 1LE. Or maybe it is the skill set. And btw experience alone doesnt translate into skill. Or pace.

As far as Ryephile's comments: he is right. If you wanted a race car then starting with a race car is always a cheaper option in a long run. If you cant afford a GT4 then a Trans Am series Howe Camaro would have fit a bill nicely.

To sum it up, in case this isnt completely clear: most accomplished and fast track enthusiasts here leave the car stock. Because it is so incredibly capable. But some use slicks for an easy gain of 2-3 seconds.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #27
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Guys bear in mind there are 1LE owners who have deeper pockets than some of us. I am friends with a guy on FB who has probably dumped close to what the 1LE costs new in as much CF parts as possible and in other mods.

As of now his reward is he is sitting around 3520lbs with custom MRC shocks and a custom calibrated DSC controller. This owner is at the track about 3 out of 4 weekends that I see as I follow his posts.

I can see the need for his research as well, the reason the new ZR1 mounts the high profile spoiler to the actual chassis is to allow greater application of downforce on the rear of the car. Something a trunk mounted spoiler cant accomplish which may be the same issue the OP Camaro will run into when he starts looking for more downforce than what even the ZL1-1LE high mount spoiler puts down.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #28
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
You are a man of a dazzling intellect. But youve avoided my questions, so i have another two for you:

1) how did you reduce weight by "a few hundred pounds"? Did you chop the roof off?
2) how long did you drive a 1le and at what ambient before oil started to overheat?

Your comments about handling and Miatas and BRZs as comparison suggest to me that you never actually drove a stock 1LE. Or maybe it is the skill set. And btw experience alone doesnt translate into skill. Or pace.

As far as Ryephile's comments: he is right. If you wanted a race car then starting with a race car is always a cheaper option in a long run. If you cant afford a GT4 then a Trans Am series Howe Camaro would have fit a bill nicely.

To sum it up, in case this isnt completely clear: most accomplished and fast track enthusiasts here leave the car stock. Because it is so incredibly capable. But some use slicks for an easy gain of 2-3 seconds.

I'm going to bring this back on topic, because you're finally getting at what I want the answer to.

WHY? Why leave it stock? What has been experimented with to such terrible results to make you (and anyone else) think that the stock form was better? All I am seeing is a bunch of people who say "The car is great in stock form, why change anything?" And that's narrow-minded. There is ALWAYS room for improvement, especially in a $40,000, non-race-spec car. What I want to know, is what aero have people used, and found to be a downgrade from stock? That's the whole point of my post!