Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #29
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_AL View Post
Just wondering if RC will upgrade my GTR since it has been 2 months
Tell them about the issues you are having, if you are having any, and say that you've learned they are doing more testing and modifying the software and upgrading the firmware. They should take it back and reprogram it for you. But hold off...supposedly they'll be sending mine back to me this week. I'll test it out and report back.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #30
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
I was out the other day, after reading an article on flex fuel, I decided to add just 2 gallons to my tank I already had half a tank of 93 octane, I lost .2mpg and I couldn't keep the car from spinning in 4 th gear, granted the roads were wet, but my car never acted like that before, I'm still trying out how to use the timer, I'm curious what the time is from 0-60, once I find out I'll post it, has anyone else tried a small mixture of flex fuel yet? Since the car already runs rich it won't damage anything.
SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #31
zts1986
Account Suspended

You’re putting E85 in your car not having converted the necessary components or tune?
Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #32
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
You’re putting E85 in your car not having converted the necessary components or tune?
It won't damage anything but your not actually getting anything from your E85 on a stock tune file.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #33
SS_AL

I have a Race chip gts with the xlr throttle control, I want to upgrade the throttle body to a 67mm ZZR, I contacted race chip first, and they said the chip would compensate for the difference in air flow, now for adding ethanol, which is about 105-108 octane, I can also step up a number on the control box without the high engine jolt I encountered revving over 5500 rpm on lower octane fuel, obviously I'm going to switch over to flex fuel hardware, but in the mean time, it's fun just to play....
Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #34
Waleedriazz

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro 2.0 I-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
It won't damage anything but your not actually getting anything from your E85 on a stock tune file.
It says on the manual that that E85 does cause damage.
Waleedriazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #35
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleedriazz View Post
It says on the manual that that E85 does cause damage.
Well your car will run like shit you'll think it's doing better but in reality E85 not properly tuned or monitored will cause issues. I've experienced these issues first hand if your not versed in tuning and don't understand what's being shown even a tuned E85 file needs to be monitored this is why a flex fuel sensor is so important. The is also why items like RaceChip that skew sensors and readings to do things can also be a dead end and bad.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #36
SS_AL

You know what they say about opinions! This is all new territory for everyone, I read several blogs before even considering trying flex fuel, I sure as hell don't want to damage my engine..
Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #37
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Is it just me, I can't stand the whole race chip thing anymore. Why do you guys continue to fight with that thing. All that wasted money could have been spent on a proper, safe, e85 tune from Vermont Tuning. (Please save your "but I want to keep the warranty" nonsense.) Your going to **** your car up with that stupid chip. Than what? Show up at the dealership and what, "I don't know what happened man, all of a sudden it just broke down".
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 07-06-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #38
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_AL View Post
You know what they say about opinions! This is all new territory for everyone, I read several blogs before even considering trying flex fuel, I sure as hell don't want to damage my engine..

E85 or even flex fueling is definitely not new territory, not even on these cars. I know you have read some blogs and formed "your opinion", but there are 100 reasons why you should not just pump e85 into your tank. I don't have anywhere near enough time to explain all of the reasons this is a horrible ideal, and I'm not a good teacher, but I will try too touch on one reason for anyone else thinking this is ok.

Everything on these cars works in the inverse of Lambda, your PCM has no clue what type of fuel you are running, it only knows what fuel it "thinks" its running via the stoichiometric ratio that is set in the tune. On our cars, the tune is designed for gas with a stoich of 14.7, E85 does NOT have this stoich value. The problem with that is the PCM uses that stoich value divided by the commanded EQ ratio to determine air fuel ratios. Not altering the stoich for e85 will result in delivering fuel for an AFR calculated based on gas. This will result in lean, unsafe conditions (roughly 30% fuel missing). The real kicker here is this. The car will never even know its running incredibly lean,(because the math is wrong), and none of the engine protective systems will even activate to save your engine, because it doesn't even know there is a problem.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I would definitely think long and hard about running exotic mods and fuels that are known to require a ecu mod with Racechip. I don't think that was the intent of the product. It works good as a starter tune option and that is all I would expect of it. In the US northeast setting 4 on 93 fuel and what ever you can bolt on without coding is about the limit. Anything else is pure guess work. There are no to very limited real time readings that you can use to guide the potential effects of mods. So its basically flying blind on that aspect. Keep it safe with a non-pinging setting that works and be content. Or listen to the guys advice about getting professional help. That was really a good write up @Cooper, and it made perfect sense so you are a pretty good teacher.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #40
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Thank god he explained it in better terms than i could have.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #41
zts1986
Account Suspended

Brilliant stuff, guys!
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #42
18i4m6

Drives: 2018 I4 M6
Yup, as always it's great even to just to hear the discussion. I've learned so much from here.

Tinted/blackout paint everywhere/debadged
Catted Mishimoto downpipe
Mishimoto CAI
MBRP V6 axleback exhaust
Jacfab/BNR Boostolator
Racechip RS
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's

Onstar tracking removal - pending
18i4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote