Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
school me on hotspot option

so let me start by stating that I am technology challenged. I have an IPhone 6s with unlimited data via Verizon. my free 3gig of data is about to expire and I don't want to keep onstar around outside of the basic plan they offer (read this as "free"). My 2ss has nav.

with all that being said, what are the reasons for allowing the radio to hook up to my phone's personal hotspot? Would I need to allow it access all the time or just as needed, say for an update?
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Your car has WiFi capabilities so you can connect that way to save on your data plan. OnStar is not required but you do need to subscribe to a data plan.

I just do the Unlimited $20 per month and always keep my phone connected to it. Works great.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
zirad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Your car has WiFi capabilities so you can connect that way to save on your data plan. OnStar is not required but you do need to subscribe to a data plan.

I just do the Unlimited $20 per month and always keep my phone connected to it. Works great.
thanks but why pay $20 a month for something that I already have? $240 a year may not seem like a lot but putting two kids through college...ads up quick.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You already pay for a data plan on your phone. Most people also have a personal hotspot through their phone. You don't need WiFi through your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirad54 View Post
...what are the reasons for allowing the radio to hook up to my phone's personal hotspot? Would I need to allow it access all the time or just as needed, say for an update?
I think you have it backwards. The car has its own 4G wireless “phone” and WiFi internet hub built in.

For example, the purpose of the on-board WiFi is to allow multiple passengers to use the car as a mobile wifi hotspot with their tablets, game boys, etc. that otherwise couldn’t get internet access.

It also allows big brother to spy on the paranoid.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
So, one does not need service from a wireless company to get wifi internet in the car?

Does one need to subscribe to OnStar to get access to internet?
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
zirad54

So getting rid of onstar I would no longer be able to use the built in hotspot from the car but could I still use my phones hotspot and allow my radio to use my phones WiFi instead?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
school me on hotspot option

Quote:
So getting rid of onstar I would no longer be able to use the built in hotspot from the car but could I still use my phones hotspot and allow my radio to use my phones WiFi instead?

OnStar and the wifi are two separate services.
Your radio doesn't need WiFi. It's meant for your passengers to use with their phones/tablets/etc.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
OnStar and the wifi are two separate services.
Your radio doesn't need WiFi. It's meant for your passengers to use with their phones/tablets/etc.

This.

Onstar, your On-board WiFi hotspot, and XM(or your car's regular AM/FM radio) are 3 separate entities.

The only incidence (that I know of, or can think of) of services in the car overlapping is that when your XM radio gives you traffic or weather info, or if you look up say, where is the closest gas station, or is there a hotel/ italian restaurant, etc nearby - it is getting that info supplied to it from the Sirius XM service. So, if you do not buy that option/service from XM after the trial ends you will no longer have access to that info.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
zirad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil's Rebel View Post
This.

Onstar, your On-board WiFi hotspot, and XM(or your car's regular AM/FM radio) are 3 separate entities.

The only incidence (that I know of, or can think of) of services in the car overlapping is that when your XM radio gives you traffic or weather info, or if you look up say, where is the closest gas station, or is there a hotel/ italian restaurant, etc nearby - it is getting that info supplied to it from the Sirius XM service. So, if you do not buy that option/service from XM after the trial ends you will no longer have access to that info.
Ok thanks. That makes a lot more sense to me. I thought that the car’s WiFi hotspot is through onstar. Don’t you have to pay onstar for the WiFi data plan?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Ok thanks. That makes a lot more sense to me. I thought that the car’s WiFi hotspot is through onstar. Don’t you have to pay onstar for the WiFi data plan?
As mentioned my 1st post... OnStar not required. WiFi plan is separate but you can also get 1 gig for 10 bucks a month if you don't want to pay $20 for unlimited.

Or just turn your phone hotspot on when needed... but your car doesn't need your phone hotspot. It would be the other way around unless you're turning it on for other devices. Bluetooth is how your phone would stream to your radio.

Jumping in and having WiFi all the time is very convenient and does help the phone move faster when cell coverage is not good. Works great in parking lots or when your home internet is down too.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
As Mike said, no, they are separate.

I believe that AT&T is the provider for the WiFi for Chevy. If you do want to purchase that service after your trial you would buy a plan through them.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I use my my T mobile hotspot on my phone when i need it. I can't see paying $240 a year with OnStar when I'm only I'm my car a few hours a day. Plus i have unlimited everything for $70 a month for 2 phone lines.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #14
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
You can use your phone's data plan for Android Auto or Apple Carplay via the MyLink screen, but you will not be able to connect to some of the GM apps that can be downloaded to the car (my favorite is the Weather Channel). These apps check for a "WiFi" connection via your car's built-in hub (the data plan for this is through AT&T in collaboration with OnStar...you sign up through OnStar and AT&T provides the internet service).

I subscribe to the OnStar Wi-Fi hotspot unlimited data plan and can access all the GM myShop apps, plus, my passengers can connect to my car's hotspot as well.

Win-win!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote