Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #225
TECHTURTLE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Awesome buddy, You just come here to see all (ROB'S blown up, my noisy SC)
J/K, How is the heat with that thing?? Should be higher then a screw, I know it is.
Have you shot it with a heat gun?
It's warmer than I'd like... IAT (on the Aeroforce Gauge) runs around 120 +/- 5 just cruising. In traffic they head up to the 140's. But it's in the 90's here outside.

I have not shot it with a heat gun but I'm guessing pre-intercooler temps are up there.

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
TECHTURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #226
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHTURTLE View Post
It's warmer than I'd like... IAT (on the Aeroforce Gauge) runs around 120 +/- 5 just cruising. In traffic they head up to the 140's. But it's in the 90's here outside.

I have not shot it with a heat gun but I'm guessing pre-intercooler temps are up there.
Maybe this could help?
One guy on the forums is having a shop install it because he's in an area that's really hot. I'm sure it would help all systems though. Cars love the cold air.
http://killerchiller.com/t/chevy
http://killerchiller.com/p/chevy-camaro-install
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #227
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Forgot to mention that the E-Force was used for the actual installation(when opening hitting the installation link above). Claiming 750 bucks for gobs of cold air.

Guessing you haven't replied because you are currently installing it. LOL
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #228
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:

Don't worry too much about the high IATs. Here's my discussion on the difference and the why:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486615

Like you, it would be nice to see the IAT number lower, but it seems that Edelbrock tuned accordingly, given the power levels. Someday I'll tackle this as a "good to do" exercise.

And the Killer Chiller package is tempting me also. May give it a go at a later time.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #229
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
That's actually my car and I installed it myself, and wrote the instruction manual for Joe at Killer Chiller. It was a challenging install because of how tight everything is in the engine bay, but my system is operating pretty well. I'm running Industrial 12a refrigerant (essentially propane), and the only issue I've had is getting nice cold air at idle when it's hot out. But as long as you're over 1000 rpms, ice cold air in the cabin. I guess it's due to the AC compressor running at too low of a speed, the fans not always being on at idle, and the Edelbrock H/E blocking all of the AC condenser which obviously has got to hurt the AC condenser's ability to do its job. It's tricky getting the right charge with the industrial 12a with it being a gas. A full can feels nearly the same in your hand as an empty can. But I think I have the charge where it needs to be through some trial and error. I could probably have Edelbrock raise the idle speed a touch and turn the fans on at idle when the AC is on and get extra cold air at idle speed.

I decided to tackle the killer chiller because I daily this car in heavy going to and coming home traffic. I was tired of having 50 to 90 degree over ambient IAT's and the car feeling like it didn't even have a supercharger on it on hot days especially when in heavy traffic.
My first dyno (prior to KC) was a bust and IAT's were high. Edelbrock kept saying to try and keep my IAT's at around 100 degrees at the start of the dyno pull and no more than 130 after. Anyone know how hard that is to accomplish with the kit as-is?? Lol.

Post KC, I can start the dyno run at 104 degrees, and by the end of the pull my IAT's are at 122. Then within 15 seconds of easy driving, you're ready for another pull as the IAT's are back down to 104. This was in an 80 degree (ambient) shop. In day to day driving with the car fully warmed up, IAT's are anywhere between 18 to 30 degrees over ambient, and typically hover about 25 degrees over. The car feels peppier on hot days for sure, no knock retard, and still the conservative Edelbrock tune. My motor = happy

I could probably drop my IAT's even further, and probably fixing my not very cold air at idle by removing the Edelbrock HE altogether, but then you need to run a lot of extra hose to make up the coolant volume lost by taking the HE out of the loop. In addition, if your AC fails, you're going to have some stupid high IAT's. I'm not going to do that. Maybe this fall/winter I'll look at a shorter 3 row front mount that doesn't block all of the AC condenser, yet retains the same or better fluid capacity of the Edelbrock HE. But for now, I'm good with how it's performing.

I've not said anything for a while because i wasn't sure what Edelbrock would think warranty-wise, but if they have a problem with a customer making their system more efficient by simply making sure the coolant running through the IC bricks is 25 degrees cooler, then so be it. It is what it is. I haven't made any performance mods to the car. Everything else is still bone stock. I've just put a mini refrigerator between the Edelbrock HE and where the fluid goes back to the supercharger.

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's

Last edited by Daves1SS; 06-15-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #230
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
So Dave, finally decided to come clean on this? I'll say it again that you did an outstanding job on putting together the instruction manual.

No doubt that the KC would be a great mod for any FI system that uses air-to-water cooling. While I'm going to play with getting the IAT sensor on the E-Force reading a little more accurate, it won't be as effective overall as truly cooling the system below ambient as you have done.

Any dyno info that would be comparable?
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #231
Daves1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
So Dave, finally decided to come clean on this? I'll say it again that you did an outstanding job on putting together the instruction manual.

No doubt that the KC would be a great mod for any FI system that uses air-to-water cooling. While I'm going to play with getting the IAT sensor on the E-Force reading a little more accurate, it won't be as effective overall as truly cooling the system below ambient as you have done.

Any dyno info that would be comparable?
Thanks Ed. I dyno'd about a month ago with stock plugs that the installer had closed the gap down to .032", when they should have left the plugs alone. AFTER this last dyno i put in 1 step colder NGK's at .039" and the car felt noticeably quicker. So keeping that in mind, the car put down 529 whp all 3 times on the old plugs, and the dyno runs were back-to-back with only about 30 seconds of easy drive time between the pulls. I mean literally, 529.** all 3 times. Talk about consistency! I'll try and get back and run it again with the new plugs, but it may be a while before I can get back there.

Previous:
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #232
TECHTURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Forgot to mention that the E-Force was used for the actual installation(when opening hitting the installation link above). Claiming 750 bucks for gobs of cold air.

Guessing you haven't replied because you are currently installing it. LOL
Thanks for the INFO and sorry for not hitting you back... I haven't been on in a while. I checked out the system and it looks like a great idea, I'll look into it.

Now for something crazy... Anyone else notice that IAT drops when going up hill??? All I can think is that I still have some air in the system. Any ideas?

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #233
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
XX
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Last edited by brettman; 06-19-2017 at 04:04 PM.
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #234
Daves1SS

Quote:
Thanks for the INFO and sorry for not hitting you back... I haven't been on in a while. I checked out the system and it looks like a great idea, I'll look into it.

Now for something crazy... Anyone else notice that IAT drops when going up hill??? All I can think is that I still have some air in the system. Any ideas?
When you go uphill, you're pressing the gas more and causing more air to flow over the IAT sensor and causes IAT's to drop.

Previous:
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #235
TECHTURTLE

Well it's been 6 month since my install and I've had zero problems so far. I will say that my numbers are a little lower than I thought they would be but I'm happy. I'm at 555 Hp and 580 torque and that's after tuning for my Roto-Fab intake on 93 octane.

Added
Old 09-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #236
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Well it's been 6 month since my install and I've had zero problems so far. I will say that my numbers are a little lower than I thought they would be but I'm happy. I'm at 555 Hp and 580 torque and that's after tuning for my Roto-Fab intake on 93 octane.
Definitely low, but could just be the Dyno.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #237
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
What pulley are you using and what is your elevation
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #238
TECHTURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1le32907 View Post
What pulley are you using and what is your elevation
I'm in Georgia so maybe around 1000 feet and I'm using the stock pulley that came on the supercharger.

Added