Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
The BRZ is probably a better handling car than a GT non-PP. Its just also much more down on power.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #16
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
*cringe*

If a 6th gen SS "slaughters" a GT non-PP, then what does it do to say, a Subaru BRZ? Or a Civic?
I didn't realize the BRZ or Civic was a direct competitor to the SS.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I didn't realize the BRZ or Civic was a direct competitor to the SS.
Not the SS, but definitely the 2.0T.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #18
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
*cringe*

If a 6th gen SS "slaughters" a GT non-PP, then what does it do to say, a Subaru BRZ? Or a Civic?
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #19
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
The SS is under-tired for balanced handling at the limit/ at the track. You can have all the suspension wizardry in the world... without a good tire set up it means nothing... because the tire contact patch is the only part of the car that touches the road.
Then why does the Gen6 SS perform the same or better than the Gen5 1LE, with it's "smaller, under-performing, tires and suspension"?

There *is* such a thing as "too much tire". Now they added lightness to the Gen6, you don't *need* as much tire for the weight.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Then why does the Gen6 SS perform the same or better than the Gen5 1LE, with it's "smaller, under-performing, tires and suspension"?

There *is* such a thing as "too much tire". Now they added lightness to the Gen6, you don't *need* as much tire for the weight.

--kC
Because the car is 200 lbs lighter on a stiffer chassis. You don't need as much tire to achieve the same lateral acceleration if the car is lighter.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #21
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
Really like your break down. Only two items missing from what I'd wish for:
* Reduced weight by 50 lbs and 6piston brakes. Most likely the added weight due to upgraded brakes will be offset by lighter Recaro seats and overall weight will remain the same. Also, I'd hope a 1LE would add no more than $3900 premium. Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
What I hope for in a 1LE:

Wider wheels with a better offset.
Wider, non run flat tires.
A Z28 like spoiler and splitter.
Lower ride height with better spring rates.
Blacked out hood.
Upgraded struts and shocks (do not want MRC).
3:91 gears.
Sport seats.
Various 1LE badging.
No more then a $5000 option.

Fingers crossed...
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
All of the above sound good for a 1LE...but I would go with two more major additional items...

First, an upgraded, heavy duty, track duty clutch, slave-cylinder, throw -out bearing, etc....Aftermarket has great track duty options that should be on a 1LE. I believe the 6th Gen set-up is basically the same as the 5thGen, and should be upgraded above the stock SS...

Second, if possible...Offer it with an automatic trans. Add coolers, whatever...Offer it to those who would love to track, but for various reasons, physical impairments, and the like must have an automatic.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Yes it was. You could make that comparison for the 2016s too, but it would be a slaughter. The 16' SS already beats down the GTPP in performance metrics. A 1LE would only humiliate it in its intended function.
I'm not sure what the problem with that is.

Ford built a Mustang GT that doesn't really perform any better than the car it replaced. They threw a performance pack on it that still underperforms against the heavier, less powerful 5th gen 1LE. Ford decided to do this ... so why is it that when GM decided to actually make the Camaro better, that its no longer fair to pit the SS 1LE against the GT PP? That a complete mechanical overhaul of the Mustang in the GT350 is considered equivalent to a Camaro with a couple minor tweaks?

To me, that kind of logic reeks of Ford fanboys trying to put their car back on top. Not calling you a Ford fanboy KMPrenger, just that its something that I would tend to expect from guys like thePill instead of Camaro faithful.

It was like this 6 years ago. When some were insisting that no, the naturally aspirated V8 Mustang that starts in the low 30s isn't really a competitor to the naturally aspirated V8 Camaro that starts in the low 30s. Of course not, that would be silly. The real competitor was the supercharged GT500 at around 50 grand. The Mopar guys did the same thing too. For a lot of them, it was the SRT8 not the R/T that should be compared to the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
So why did they go with runflats as stock tires? It seems no one likes them. Just so they have more of an incentive for a 1LE option with a ligher curb weight when they offer non-runflat tires?
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #25
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Lots of extensive feedback/opinions guys. Nice job.

So for people who only drive on streets, does it make sense to get 1LE package? Some say it drives better/is funner on the streets. I think the 6th gen SS is now more nimble/lightweight enough for most street only folks not to do need it. Then I also hope mrc improves bumpy road feel. Here we have lots of bumpy roads and some touring comfort mode would really be appreciated. I have seen that there is a touring mode but I wonder if mrc does indeed make for more comfortable ride.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
One more thing...didn't see it mentioned yet....1LE should have the PDR(?) track recorder....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #27
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ford built a Mustang GT that doesn't really perform any better than the car it replaced. They threw a performance pack on it that still underperforms against the heavier, less powerful 5th gen 1LE. Ford decided to do this ... so why is it that when GM decided to actually make the Camaro better, that its no longer fair to pit the SS 1LE against the GT PP?
Well put.

I'd even go a step further and say there is no such thing as an "unfair comparison." A person can compare whatever they want to, its their choice.

If they want to pit a Ford Pinto against a Hennessey Venom GT, there is no reason they shouldn't. It might seem strange to most, but to that pinto venom guy, it may be the two cars he is deciding between. And they can be compared, they're both cars, they both have acceleration. One certainly stomps/crushes/slaughters the other in performance, but when it comes to what we want, when it comes to what makes us say "oo i want that" there is no unfair metric.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #28
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
One more thing...didn't see it mentioned yet....1LE should have the PDR(?) track recorder....
Agreed. Wider tires, PDR, *adjustable suspension that's NOT MRC*. There are times where I just want more bump.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote