Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-28-2023, 06:37 AM   #1
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Post BMR sway bar - loud creak in the rear suspension

After my install of the BMR sway bar, I've got a continuous creak/squeak in the rear of the car albeit a bit intermittent. But loud enough to be heard outside the car. I think I've been able to isolate it to the rear sway bar mounts.

Also have the front cradle braces installed.

It almost sounds like styrofoam rubbing together but it's loud, you can def hear it outside the car while being driven.

Performance though is outstanding and as expected. The sound though...

Last edited by WhiteMale; 07-12-2023 at 06:37 AM.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
My experience is when you get aftermarket suspension or exhaust you are likely to get unwanted noise. I got Bilstein dampers installed a year ago. I have a upper rear shock mount creaking. At least with my exhaust I only have more wanted noise.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Wait till you throw in some other bmr goodies. My car squeaks like ur describing alot. But the handing is night and day different. When it did it at first I did the same as you... I took it apart, spray lubed all the joints and made sure it was all torqued to spec. Still did it.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Not sure if you can still find the GMPP kit, and it's a PITA to install, but ZLE solid aluminum bushings are another option.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Its kind of next level noisy though as in people turn and look. Most of the time stereo and the axle back you don't get it. I'm thinking it's the Delrin upper bushing in that same spot. I've got a mechanics stethoscope coming and it I can confirm that I could feel that creaking I'm going to pull it apart and go for the upper bushing. I've got some water proof grease or a little left over poly sway bar grease that should do the trick.

Note lack of anything from BMR, emails, PM's...not a word from them. So far.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:29 AM   #6
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
We have installed quite a few BMR lockouts without any noise. We do use the poly version though, I am not sure if you are using the aluminum ones
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
WhiteMale

I have the black Delrin. First experience with Delrin and I'm not really liking it that much, the performance though is spot and it's really just NVH but it's excessive.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #8
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Have had the cradle lockout on 2 different cars now, the lube could be an issue, my shop had to use lube for the metal pins on the 2nd car (not the 1st) and I have no sort of sound.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #9
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
My lockout kit is not making any noise and same on some other cars I've installed. I also have rear BMR sway bar, end links and all the SPL parts. Should not be any movement in the lockout / mounting parts to make noise. May want to have a trusted mechanic look at it on a lift.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:41 AM   #10
WhiteMale

I made some serious edits to the OP. I isolated this to the sway bar, I had my girl bounce the R rear and I can literally feel it resonating in the bar when I put my fingers on it. The bar appears to be bound up in the mount and bushing assembly. I had noticed with the end links that the bar I couldn't rotate the arms down to meet the end links which I had set in length match OE, in that axis the bar was extremely tight and unable to move.
Im going to shim (washer) the lower bolt on the frame mount and see if that will free it up. I appears to be so tightly bound up that it overcomes all the poly bushing grease that I have on it.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:20 AM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Delrin is generally self-lubricating in a way that poly isn't. I have plain poly bushings in a front BMR bar and it's completely quiet with proper lube. If your bar is making that much noise with Delrin, something is really wrong. You are on the right track by figuring out why/how it's bound up and shimming to solve that.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #12
WhiteMale

I have poly bushings, even when this started with BMR's supplied poly bushing, I then upgraded to a graphite impregnated bushing, because it was noisy. The noise persisted and I've in both instances greased the ever loving heck out of them.
Some of the Delrin referred to above was when I was thinking it was the Delrin in the (rear) cradle lockout mounting.
The sway bar appears to be in such a bind that the grease isn't making it quiet
Old 07-12-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
When in the softest position, the end hole, the end links will make contact with the knuckles. You can’t see it with the tires off and the suspension at full droop. This could put things in a bind. Something to look at if you’re running the softest setting.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607466

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote