#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-23-2023, 05:16 PM   #29
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That doesn't make sense. How could any suspension links add stress to a rear shock on our cars?
I stand corrected. Sorry for that. The driver side was off by .7" and did not realize it til I took off the bolt and put the tires to the ground to see it was off. That bolt was stressed upwards. I fixed it and now rides a lot smoother.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:50 AM   #30
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
WOW
My rear sway bar has been squeaking since installation. It’s the BMR adjustable bar with OEM links.
I’d grease the bushings and it would clear up for a bit, only to return. I tried different types of grease with minimal to no improvement.
The washer trick is brilliant! I’m feeling inadequate that I didn’t think of this fix myself.
With one thin-ish washer on the lower hole on each side, the noise and resistance to movement was greatly reduced. I then added another washer under the top mount bolts concerned that it would make the bar loose in the bushings. That was the fix. Smooth, quiet and still tight in the bushings.
Thx for sharing OP!
Old 09-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #31
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I use this on anything non roller bearing that requires lube like rubber with steel bushings at work, both work well. I also used it on my BMR cradle lockout install, it doesn’t react with rubber in any way. It doesn’t dry out like grease does overtime. It’s great for suspension components where rubber supports the steel in anyway.
Attached Images

CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #32
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Any one have or verify the frame mounts at 43ft lbs? I've got those tight but I didn't put my torque wrench on them. My bar is still silent when I bounce the rear, no squeaking at all but on some bumps that jar the rear of the car I'm getting clunky sound. I still have the one washer under the rear hole.
I'll check the torque on the them and adjust if needed. If they're at spec I'm going to hit the clamp and cradle that metal to metal contact point with some WD40 and see if that quiets that noise.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #33
h018871
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Any one have or verify the frame mounts at 43ft lbs? I've got those tight but I didn't put my torque wrench on them. My bar is still silent when I bounce the rear, no squeaking at all but on some bumps that jar the rear of the car I'm getting clunky sound. I still have the one washer under the rear hole.
I'll check the torque on the them and adjust if needed. If they're at spec I'm going to hit the clamp and cradle that metal to metal contact point with some WD40 and see if that quiets that noise.
Correct 43 lbft
I have a gap in my torque wrenches between 21-50 lbft, so they got torqued to 50
Old 10-02-2023, 06:57 AM   #34
WhiteMale

Im still chasing something in the rear end like a panel vibrating when the chassis get's jarred on the rough pavement and it's driving me crazy. I can bounce the car up and down and I get nothing but smooth engagement, not a peep from the rear of the car. But pavement jars it and it's clunky, honestly sounds like a panel vibrating but I just can't find it. Been under it multiples times and everything looks tight and in place.

Just venting about a frustrating sound I have.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #35
h018871
Geoff

A shot in the dark here
Buckle the rear seat belts, the catches knock against the side panel some times.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:42 AM   #36
WhiteMale

So hears what learned in solving my clunky rear. The bar arms should be near level and i had mine pointed down at full drop, to meet the link. When i disconnected both links and lengthened each one to meet bar, most all the clunky jarring noise is gone. The closer i got the bar to near level and the link vertical to meet the bar its now almost perfect.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:20 PM   #37
h018871
Geoff

Update

My son and I just completed BBORR, we had an absolute blast!

About halfway on the second leg the car started shaking pretty badly, it lost power and gave several messages on the DIC. Mostly to do with the differential. He throttled back, downshifted and increased the throttle and the car recovered.........mostly. He drove it in, at speed, and we finished without dropping below minimum speed. Good job.

The passenger rear sway bar bracket failed. It appears to be a stress crack, part is shiny and part is rusty. The other side is cracked more than halfway through.

Supposition from here on:
The bushings are a little thick and the bracket was under quite a bit of stress. The washer/spacer idea is spot on. I suspect that the brackets broke on the end that was tightened second because that end would be out of position and "pulled" tight.

Learnings:
1). When I added the washers, I removed one bolt at a time and then retightened. I did not inspect the hardware when I had a chance..... I know better.
2). During initial installation I thought it was a bit tight, again I know to listen to the little bells that go off in my head. I didn't

Fortunately there was no angst and I called BMR and got new brackets/bushings headed this way.
So, you folks that have added washers to the brackets because things are making noises.....inspect your brackets. I have about 50,000 mi on the brackets and that include lots of track days.
Attached Images