Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2024, 10:22 AM   #1
Annihilate

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro, 1988 IROC Z
Send a message via Skype™ to Annihilate
How much water is there expected to be around window seals after a wash?

Greetings!

Did my first wash and detail last weekend, unfortunately I have no pictures at this time, but I noticed something peculiar, and was curious as to how "normal" it is.

Just using a regular hose, I washed around the windows and noticed water getting "stuck" between the weather strip and the glass, almost seemingly getting into the interior.

Is this to be expected? I had a similar phenomenon on my 88 IROC, but I chalked that up to old seals and technology.

Just curious!

Annihilate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilate View Post
Greetings!

Did my first wash and detail last weekend, unfortunately I have no pictures at this time, but I noticed something peculiar, and was curious as to how "normal" it is.

Just using a regular hose, I washed around the windows and noticed water getting "stuck" between the weather strip and the glass, almost seemingly getting into the interior.

Is this to be expected? I had a similar phenomenon on my 88 IROC, but I chalked that up to old seals and technology.

Just curious!

Have a look at where your windows meet the top seal. From the factory, the drivers side isn't aligned correctly on my '24 and I need to take it to the dealer for adjustment.

Another user had the same issue and documented it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623845
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:41 AM   #3
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Have a look at where your windows meet the top seal. From the factory, the drivers side isn't aligned correctly on my '24 and I need to take it to the dealer for adjustment.

Another user had the same issue and documented it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623845
Interesting, I did see that thread, and it reminded me of my experience.

It certainly isn't as extreme as that example, but I will have to take a deeper look.

Taking it to the dealership soon for an option they initially lied about installing.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I get a little bit of water between the glass and the seal, but I wash my cars with a pressure washer (from a couple of feet away). It's not enough water to drip down the glass or get into the interior though. I figure with the frame-less design it's easier for a few drops of water to make it past the seal.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:08 AM   #5
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I get a little bit of water between the glass and the seal, but I wash my cars with a pressure washer (from a couple of feet away). It's not enough water to drip down the glass or get into the interior though. I figure with the frame-less design it's easier for a few drops of water to make it past the seal.
This is more in line with what I was looking for.

Speaking of pressure washer, what pressure do you use, and what methods do you use to dry?

Last year I tried the leaf blower method and it took a comically long time and I kept getting worried about touching the car with the thing.

My wash last weekend I had used some large towels that were suggested to me here, but they smudged a bit. Hoping that wont happen when I wash again, as I gave the towels a nice washing. Hoping to get some ppf on in the next week or two to assist with ease of cleaning.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:12 AM   #6
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
This is more in line with what I was looking for.

Speaking of pressure washer, what pressure do you use, and what methods do you use to dry?

Last year I tried the leaf blower method and it took a comically long time and I kept getting worried about touching the car with the thing.

My wash last weekend I had used some large towels that were suggested to me here, but they smudged a bit. Hoping that wont happen when I wash again, as I gave the towels a nice washing. Hoping to get some ppf on in the next week or two to assist with ease of cleaning.
I use a 1900 psi pressure washer which is perfect for car washing as it is not powerful enough to cause damage. I use a leaf blower as well, but as you said it takes a long time compared to towel drying. But the less you touch the paint, the less chances of scratching/marring it. If I have to use a towel, I like the Griot's Garage towels as they are big, plush, and hold a lot of water.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #7
Annihilate

Quote:
I use a 1900 psi pressure washer which is perfect for car washing as it is not powerful enough to cause damage. I use a leaf blower as well, but as you said it takes a long time compared to towel drying. But the less you touch the paint, the less chances of scratching/marring it. If I have to use a towel, I like the Griot's Garage towels as they are big, plush, and hold a lot of water.
Out of curiosity, which leaf blower do you use? Mine may just be weak, as its an old electrical unit I just had lying around.

How long would it typically take you to dry?

Old 04-12-2024, 11:22 AM   #8
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Out of curiosity, which leaf blower do you use? Mine may just be weak, as its an old electrical unit I just had lying around.

How long would it typically take you to dry?

I use an older Toro handheld blower that honestly was too weak for leaf blowing. But it's great for drying cars. What I did was wrap the end in several layers of electrical tape just in case I accidentally touch the paint. It probably takes me a good 15-20 minutes to completely dry the car. I can probably towel dry it in half that time.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:28 AM   #9
Annihilate

Quote:
I use an older Toro handheld blower that honestly was too weak for leaf blowing. But it's great for drying cars. What I did was wrap the end in several layers of electrical tape just in case I accidentally touch the paint. It probably takes me a good 15-20 minutes to completely dry the car. I can probably towel dry it in half that time.
That sounds similar to the one I was using, I will have to attempt this method on a sunny day, as when I did it, it was the end of November essentially in the dark lol.

15mins or so isn't bad at all, and that electrical tape move is a great idea. Much appreciated!

Hoping when I get my PPF on that they do a good job of clay barring it and cleaning up some of the clear coat issues that have been present since I picked it up from the dealership. Those sons of guns upset me many times, and added swirls and scuffs to my paint in multiple areas, among other things.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:58 PM   #10
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I use a leaf blower just to blow off larger accumulations of water before I go in with a high-quality drying towel. Then I finish off with an Adam's Handheld Mini Air Cannon. It was a game changer for me and does wonders on the mirrors, grills, around lights, spoiler, wheels, etc. It's my favorite detailing tool.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...hoCsr0QAvD_BwE
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:59 AM   #11
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
I use a leaf blower just to blow off larger accumulations of water before I go in with a high-quality drying towel. Then I finish off with an Adam's Handheld Mini Air Cannon. It was a game changer for me and does wonders on the mirrors, grills, around lights, spoiler, wheels, etc. It's my favorite detailing tool.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...hoCsr0QAvD_BwE

Would you say that, functionally, the Adams is worth the price versus using an air compressor with narrow tips? I use that on my headlights, seals, etc.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:12 PM   #12
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Would you say that, functionally, the Adams is worth the price versus using an air compressor with narrow tips? I use that on my headlights, seals, etc.
That's a good question, but I think so. I think the pattern of air is a little wider than the nozzle I have for my air hose. I also don't know for sure, but I feel like with my 25gal tank I have might actually have to stop and let it refill once or twice for the amount of air I use. So overall, I guess it kind of depends on your person set up.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote