Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #43
Cobra-R

Drives: 2010 SS
Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R Send a message via Yahoo to Cobra-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Brian, did you try the car on a road course track when it was stock? Just wondering what your impressions were off the showroom floor, and if the car needed any adjustments or mods before hitting the track for HPDE events and the like...

Thanks!
Yes. I took the car to Mid America Motorplex in Council Bluffs Iowa a week ago last Saturday totally stock other than better brake pads and adding aprox 5 PSI of air to the tires.

I really was very impressed with the car as is. The balance was alot better then I expected since typically a stock car like this is setup to have tons of understeer from the factory.

During the second session on the track, I totally lost brakes heading into turn 1 at aprox 115 mph.........pedal to the floor pumping for all I was worth. Since it was the original fluid (car was a week old so I did expect it to be better than that), we totally flushed the system with new fluid and tried it again. This time I ran three sessions and lost the brakes again, so I called it a day.

The car is heavy!!!!!!!!!!

My rented transponder only registered one session, the second session out, when the brakes let go. The lap times were in the 1:51's. In comparison, I have the NASA AI record at that track in my Mustang Cobra racecar at 1:41.0. I was impressed to say the least.

Hope that helps.
2000 Cobra R 131 of 300 Built 3/15/00
1995 Cobra R #23 (NASA AI Midwest & AV8SS #23)
2008 Corvette Z06
2010 Camaro SS, (soon to be a racecar) Watch the build here: http://www.carriagehousecustoms.com/CHCA/Welcome.html
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #44
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
Curious what the actual weight difference are between 1SS strippers and full loaded 6sp manual cars and automatics.

I've already seen a loaded 6spd car tip the scales at over 4000 lbs raceweight. I'm guessing a loaded Auto would be heavier.

Anyone gathered that type of info yet?
Full tank? Half tank? Quarter tank? Just enough to get 1/4 mile down the strip?

A midget? Or a giant driving?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-R View Post
Yes. I took the car to Mid America Motorplex in Council Bluffs Iowa a week ago last Saturday totally stock other than better brake pads and adding aprox 5 PSI of air to the tires.

I really was very impressed with the car as is. The balance was alot better then I expected since typically a stock car like this is setup to have tons of understeer from the factory.

During the second session on the track, I totally lost brakes heading into turn 1 at aprox 115 mph.........pedal to the floor pumping for all I was worth. Since it was the original fluid (car was a week old so I did expect it to be better than that), we totally flushed the system with new fluid and tried it again. This time I ran three sessions and lost the brakes again, so I called it a day.

The car is heavy!!!!!!!!!!

My rented transponder only registered one session, the second session out, when the brakes let go. The lap times were in the 1:51's. In comparison, I have the NASA AI record at that track in my Mustang Cobra racecar at 1:41.0. I was impressed to say the least.

Hope that helps.
WTF happened to the brakes? I guess you don't know for sure yet. I would have thought that would have been the least of your problems with the factory setup. Reminds me of the last time I put pads on my truck, they were some fancy material, first time I drove and used them a bit, they faded away to nothing! Needless to say I was surprised. I think it was outgassing that resulted in excessive pressure to stop and heat. After they broke in I never had a problem again. Nice review of the track performance though.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #46
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
WTF happened to the brakes? I guess you don't know for sure yet. I would have thought that would have been the least of your problems with the factory setup. Reminds me of the last time I put pads on my truck, they were some fancy material, first time I drove and used them a bit, they faded away to nothing! Needless to say I was surprised. I think it was outgassing that resulted in excessive pressure to stop and heat. After they broke in I never had a problem again. Nice review of the track performance though.
I'm guessing it was the fluid boiling, but we'll see if Brian has any other theories. If the fix is simply to use ATE Super Blue or similar high-temp brake fluid, then that's not too bad.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/a...blue_fluid.jsp
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #47
Cobra-R

Drives: 2010 SS
Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R Send a message via Yahoo to Cobra-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I'm guessing it was the fluid boiling, but we'll see if Brian has any other theories. If the fix is simply to use ATE Super Blue or similar high-temp brake fluid, then that's not too bad.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/a...blue_fluid.jsp

Yes your right, it was deffinately boiling fluid. My guess is the heavy weight of the car and the lack of cooling ducts was the cause.

For any of you tracking these cars, you start getting a soft pedal and within a few corners, the brakes are totally gone. If you suspect the brakes are getting weak, scale it back a bit and be sure.........and safe.

Rayhawk,

The brakes do feel awesome and we don't plan on upgrading them other than stainless steel brakelines. Get cooling to the brakes and I believe they will be no problem.

Brian

PS: the website has been updated with some more teardown pictires and well as some exploded view layouts of the rear suspension. (link in my signature)
2000 Cobra R 131 of 300 Built 3/15/00
1995 Cobra R #23 (NASA AI Midwest & AV8SS #23)
2008 Corvette Z06
2010 Camaro SS, (soon to be a racecar) Watch the build here: http://www.carriagehousecustoms.com/CHCA/Welcome.html
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #48
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra-R View Post
Yes your right, it was deffinately boiling fluid. My guess is the heavy weight of the car and the lack of cooling ducts was the cause.

For any of you tracking these cars, you start getting a soft pedal and within a few corners, the brakes are totally gone. If you suspect the brakes are getting weak, scale it back a bit and be sure.........and safe.

Rayhawk,

The brakes do feel awesome and we don't plan on upgrading them other than stainless steel brakelines. Get cooling to the brakes and I believe they will be no problem.

Brian

PS: the website has been updated with some more teardown pictires and well as some exploded view layouts of the rear suspension. (link in my signature)
Those are some incredible photos... what a project! Thank you so much for posting all this great info!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote