Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #15
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Only for the rear? Then get the R888R for sure. I've found myself with R888R on all 4 corners, just fronts, and just rears. They're nosiest in that order. Having just rears isn't bad. My exhaust is also quite loud so that might contribute, but having them on all 4 corners did get annoying sometimes lol

As a daily the R888R are amazing. Especially if you like aggressive driving. I made a whole post on it awhile back when I used them. No other non radial will perform as good as the R888R in a straight line. Save maybe their barely dot legal RR version.

Rain might be an issue, but the only time they became problematic for me was in heavy rainfall where there starts to be a lot of standing water, or when they're very worn.

Tire life is not good. I got maybe 5-6.5k on a set of rears. Fronts I got up to 10-12k.

All it takes is being on an empty road for 10 minutes with the R888R to never wanna use any other tire on the street.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #16
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Only for the rear? Then get the R888R for sure. I've found myself with R888R on all 4 corners, just fronts, and just rears. They're nosiest in that order. Having just rears isn't bad. My exhaust is also quite loud so that might contribute, but having them on all 4 corners did get annoying sometimes lol

As a daily the R888R are amazing. Especially if you like aggressive driving. I made a whole post on it awhile back when I used them. No other non radial will perform as good as the R888R in a straight line. Save maybe their barely dot legal RR version.

Rain might be an issue, but the only time they became problematic for me was in heavy rainfall where there starts to be a lot of standing water, or when they're very worn.

Tire life is not good. I got maybe 5-6.5k on a set of rears. Fronts I got up to 10-12k.

All it takes is being on an empty road for 10 minutes with the R888R to never wanna use any other tire on the street.

Dam, now I feel tempted with the r888r lol. You have a link to the post you made about them bud?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #17
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Dam, now I feel tempted with the r888r lol. You have a link to the post you made about them bud?
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584029

It's back when I was first getting used to a performance car. Now after having a few different sets on both it and now my Z06, using other tires (PS4S, Contis, Mickey Thompsons), and going from stock to 900 whp+ I have a better opinion of them. Now if only they weren't always on back order!
Old 12-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #18
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
R888R are great in a straight line, weird how bad they are on a track in turns vs other DOT R comps. They're ok on track, but compared to other DOT R comps like GY 3R, Toyo RR, Hoosier A7/R7, or even RE-71R (never available in ZL1 sizes), they fall short on lap times.

Michelin PSC2 suck on ZL1 but new PSC2 R may be good, haven't seen any ZL1 test results yet... looks like they're ~$3,400/set shipped in ZL1 sizes which is a deal-breaker for me :-)

Toyo should update the R888R design to provide the kind of cornering grip that made the Toyo RA1, the great tire the R888/R888R replaced, so well liked. If they did, the combination of performance and tread life would make it a perfect street/circuit track combo tire. As is it's only a great street/strip tire.
SFV1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584029

It's back when I was first getting used to a performance car. Now after having a few different sets on both it and now my Z06, using other tires (PS4S, Contis, Mickey Thompsons), and going from stock to 900 whp+ I have a better opinion of them. Now if only they weren't always on back order!

Appreciate you sharing this, great review by the way. Since you mentioned you had the conti ecs tires before, how do they compare to the r888r if you don't mind sharing your experience with the two?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #20
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
R888R are great in a straight line, weird how bad they are on a track in turns vs other DOT R comps. They're ok on track, but compared to other DOT R comps like GY 3R, Toyo RR, Hoosier A7/R7, or even RE-71R (never available in ZL1 sizes), they fall short on lap times.

Michelin PSC2 suck on ZL1 but new PSC2 R may be good, haven't seen any ZL1 test results yet... looks like they're ~$3,400/set shipped in ZL1 sizes which is a deal-breaker for me :-)

Toyo should update the R888R design to provide the kind of cornering grip that made the Toyo RA1, the great tire the R888/R888R replaced, so well liked. If they did, the combination of performance and tread life would make it a perfect street/circuit track combo tire. As is it's only a great street/strip tire.
First I heard the toyos were bad on turns but I guess compared to other better tires.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
First I heard the toyos were bad on turns but I guess compared to other better tires.
They tend to be good (not great) for a few laps and then overheat and get greasy. Problem may also be the tread depth with deep grooves/blocks, they may create tread squirm that hurts performance. They could benefit from shaving but then you lose the tread life which is one big plus for R888R.
SFV1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #22
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Appreciate you sharing this, great review by the way. Since you mentioned you had the conti ecs tires before, how do they compare to the r888r if you don't mind sharing your experience with the two?

For the record I do purely street driving and some backroads. My car is not stock either. I will say the Continental feel more "comfortable" on the road. As far as feeling what you're driving over I feel more feedback on the R888R. They're also quieter. As far as I'm concerned they feel more like a daily tire you use to comfortably get from point A to B. They can handle a little hooning but they don't feel as confidence inspiring as the R888R.

If you want a tire that lasts longer, is better in the wet, and can do track days I would recommend the Pilot Sports 4s honestly. Continental's are like my 4th choice for tire.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #23
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Keeping in mind I'm not a tire or racing expert, I did find the following video useful for comparing tires, although it does not include the ECS. I believe I came across this video from another thread on here:

Hope this helps,

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #24
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
As others said, these are two completely different tires.

I would probably get a second set of wheels for the track and wrap them with the Toyos, because if you try to daily drive them, you'll go crazy from the monster truck whine at >40 mph. They do grip much better than the Continental ECS and on a road course you probably won't hear them over the engine, but as a daily driver, nah, been there, tried that, ended up selling them
Weird. I didnt think anyone (camaro owners) would be able to hear the tires over the blaring def leopard , empty chew cans and Mountain Dew bottles rattling around in the car…
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #25
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
Quote:
Makes sense. Just out of curiosity since you had both, are they somewhat close in handling and straight line grip or are they that far apart it's not even a comparison?
The continentals hold their own in every aspect, but as far as pure performance it’s a noticeable difference, especially with some heat in the toyos. They are very noisy as stated and not much tread for rain. Would I do the toyos again, no, but that’s just my opinion
Cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #26
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1plumbin View Post
Weird. I didnt think anyone (camaro owners) would be able to hear the tires over the blaring def leopard , empty chew cans and Mountain Dew bottles rattling around in the car…
Aw crap, I knew I shouldn't have dumped the 250 Mountain Dew cans from the back seat... now that I've "replenished" the "stock", let me reach out to my Toyo buyer and try to get them whiney suckers back

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #27
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjw View Post
The continentals hold their own in every aspect, but as far as pure performance it’s a noticeable difference, especially with some heat in the toyos. They are very noisy as stated and not much tread for rain. Would I do the toyos again, no, but that’s just my opinion

Thanks for sharing.