Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #43
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Ashiu is right on the money here about the hair difference. We're talking thousandths of an inch. You need to balance between too tight and too loose. Too tight will blow the ring land. Bye bye piston!

Nitrous is not a bad idea. We have enough head room on the stock fuel system to shoot 75-100 without an issue on a STOCK engine. Any mods would reduce that head room. Great thing about nitrous in a boosted engine is that you can use a smaller jet to achieve a higher hp figure than N/A. Typically on a boosted engine you get 2x's the HP from the N/A rating of a jet. So let's say that an .033 oriface jet is rated for 50hp, it will typically produce 80-100hp in a boosted setup. This is mostly due to how cold the nitrous is! It's an intercooler in a bottle! I believe nitrous exits the bottle at around -30F!!! That will improve your IAT's real quick! Damn, I love me some nitrous!
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #44
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Ashiu is right on the money here about the hair difference. We're talking thousandths of an inch. You need to balance between too tight and too loose. Too tight will blow the ring land. Bye bye piston!

Nitrous is not a bad idea. We have enough head room on the stock fuel system to shoot 75-100 without an issue on a STOCK engine. Any mods would reduce that head room. Great thing about nitrous in a boosted engine is that you can use a smaller jet to achieve a higher hp figure than N/A. Typically on a boosted engine you get 2x's the HP from the N/A rating of a jet. So let's say that an .033 oriface jet is rated for 50hp, it will typically produce 80-100hp in a boosted setup. This is mostly due to how cold the nitrous is! It's an intercooler in a bottle! I believe nitrous exits the bottle at around -30F!!! That will improve your IAT's real quick! Damn, I love me some nitrous!
So we need to find that sweet spot if only i had the money to eat a piston or two lol

Seems we're getting the mod discussions back on track I'd love to do NoS simply for the fun of it but until someone comes out with a solid grind or maybe a NoS ready piston ring setup for our cars it's just to much a risk for my daily driver at the moment.

I know we had a thread on methanol injection I've been heavily considering it as my next power adding performance mod. Interested to hear your thoughts on it and wether 50/50 or full blend would be better.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #45
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
So we need to find that sweet spot if only i had the money to eat a piston or two lol

Seems we're getting the mod discussions back on track I'd love to do NoS simply for the fun of it but until someone comes out with a solid grind or maybe a NoS ready piston ring setup for our cars it's just to much a risk for my daily driver at the moment.

I know we had a thread on methanol injection I've been heavily considering it as my next power adding performance mod. Interested to hear your thoughts on it and wether 50/50 or full blend would be better.
I wouldn't be worried about ring gap too much with a stock turbo. Run a 50hp jet and see how it likes it. I have a dry setup sitting in my garage, but none of the aftermarket CAI's will fit the 7 inch diameter Green filter I have left over from my CTS-V Coupe. I have the Nitrous Outlet large Halo ring installed in the filter. If nothing will work with it by spring, I'll buy a different nozzle, or the smaller Halo ring. They only cost about $75. Someone could duplicate my setup with used parts for probably less than $200. It's a 2.5lb bottle, 18 inch hose, NOS SuperPower Shot solenoid, another 12 inch line, then the Halo ring. Just set the bottle under the airbox, I pulled power from my horn switch on the CTS-V, and it was completely hidden!!

As far as meth goes, whatever washer fluid you can find cheapest locally. Most are 51% methanol if you get the -20 degree kind.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
Old 11-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #46
ChicagoTommy

http://www.thelsxdr.com/methanol-injection-101/

Link to a list of the amount of methanol in most window wash makes.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #47
dpelow07

Drives: ats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
I think it has been done, but I have no proof yet. You DO NOT WANT TO PORT THE HEAD!
please elaborate on this. why would a port and polish not net gains?
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #48
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
In my experience with LSx heads, I've found that people go entirely too far with hogging out the port and runner, which just kills velocity. Personally, I like to keep the runner area a little rough to promote tumble vs. a mirror polish finish. I've seen too many dogshit slow LSx heads/cam cars. If you have a heads/cam LSx that makes sub-400hp, and only runs mid-12's, you're doing something EXTREMELY wrong as there are 10 second CAM ONLY cars. Shoot, I know 3 guys locally that went 9's in heads/cam cars, but they did go with aftermarket casting heads. There are very few companies I would trust to port stock casting heads.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #49
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post

it is very easy to gain CFM on a flowbench, but that does not always correlate to power gains. Changing port shape and size can drastically alter velocity, tumble characteristics, combustion efficiency etc etc. we found in years past that 'what works' on LSJ (port injected) ecotec engines actually caused a massive power, driveability, and efficiency loss on the LNF (DI) ecotec engines. it took us a long time, and lots of trial and error (and many many scrap heads) to figure out something that actually provides viable gains on an LNF. I dont expect the LTG to be much different.
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #50
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
GM specs call for a .008 to .014 top ring gap... If it's on the low side, I would think that would be kinda sketchy with a big nitrous shot?

Regarding the head porting, while I haven't seen the intake side yet, I would venture to say that the intake side probably isn't that bad. I would probably leave that side alone. I could see possibly raising the roof on the exhaust ports. I just picked up a complete extra head off ebay for $60, there will be testing.

500hp... You're probably gonna need a bigger turbo for sure. Gonna want forged rods and pistons. Probably gonna want cams. Might need some exhaust work.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote