Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #57
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Apparently not everyone has learned their lesson from the other thread. The OP's first post is not to be disagreed with. It is 100% correct and accurate.

What is wrong with you guys?...
It's not us.

In almost 54 years driving I've had exactly one problem caused by generally not using the P-brake when parked. My own fault for under-estimating the slope.

It's people who don't track their cars who can't understand why you should specifically NOT use the P-brake.

And those who need to avoid loading up their car's parking sprag (which I understand why they might not understand non-use, and am in somewhat more agreement with why they should use it).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #58
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'll use the P-brake when I've got the engine idling in neutral, but rarely otherwise. I grew up in the great northeast (snow, ice, salt, etc.). Over the years, I've had P-brake cables in various cars stretch beyond re-adjustment, fray, break, freeze, and lose left-right balance.

Speaking to the MT side of the coin, stepping on the clutch relieves any pressure between gear teeth (unlike in an AT where the parking sprag gets bound up if on a slope you 'Park' first and P-brake second***).

I'll choose either 1st or Reverse, depending on which way a lurch caused by sudden clutch linkage/hydraulic failure would be less likely to result in consequential damage (i.e. parked facing the garage door I'll use 'R', if I back in, 1st).

The pushbutton/electronic P-brake on my wife's Subie gets used in precisely the same manner, which may be even more relevant here. Worst thing with that is that you can't choose how hard to apply the P-brake, it's either all the way on or all the way off.

*** I'm going to guess that it's from most people having mostly AT driving experience that leads to lectures of "you should always use your car's P-brake". Having to use brute force to disengage the parking sprag would not be a good thing for the linkage all the way from the selector lever to the sprag itself.

Norm
Hey Norm,;

To keep things simple, doesnt matter MT or AT. Long as you apply the EPB first before putting on P or shifting to 1st or reverse, the weight of the car is on the brakes first, and that's where it should be. I hear some complains about brake freezing or other issues, But:1- those or old technology and news. 2-If it did not work properly on one vehicle it doest automatically mean it doesnt work on others.

everyone else, you want to use your transmission to hold your car, fine. I know guys who use it even while driving by shifting down. Do as you please.

OJ
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #59
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
...everyone else, you want to use your transmission to hold your car, fine. ...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #60
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Jack - as late as 2008 that I know of for sure, P-brakes becoming frozen in the 'applied' position in the winter has been at least an occasional problem. Water intrusion still happens at least once in a while.

If anybody has any concerns about transmission or axle gear tooth loading due to holding the car still on a small slope, they should be scared silly to ever go to WOT acceleration or side-step the clutch from a dead stop. I could probably run some comparative numbers but I'm not going to. Nobody ever does either of those things anyway, right?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-22-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #61

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
...OMG....Next thing you know we will be given permission to let our cars idle cold for a while!!....Is nothing sacred?...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #62
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Yes ...I always use my PB. Its just a habit. But I like the manual lever better. Because now I always have to look at the dash to confirm the light came on. Same thing when turn off, wait to look at the dash, its annoying.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #63
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Never ever use my parking brake. Never will.
About 28 years ago I used it on my truck in the winter time. It froze. Took me 4 hours laying under to get it thawed out.
I swore I'd never use one again and never have.
Yes ...but newer cars now use the Flux Capacitor that keeps brakes from freezing in cold weather. I ordered it under the COPO option.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #64
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Yeah it is a nice feature.

I was driving with a co-worker in the car and she accidentally pressed the parking brake button, the car blipped the brake and released it. Thank god because we were going 70 on the Interstate.
So...she just starts pulling and pushing buttons on your cars while you are driving???
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #65
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
Hey Norm,;

To keep things simple, doesnt matter MT or AT. Long as you apply the EPB first before putting on P or shifting to 1st or reverse, the weight of the car is on the brakes first, and that's where it should be. I hear some complains about brake freezing or other issues, But:1- those or old technology and news. 2-If it did not work properly on one vehicle it doest automatically mean it doesnt work on others.

everyone else, you want to use your transmission to hold your car, fine. I know guys who use it even while driving by shifting down. Do as you please.

OJ
How does the new technology keep water from freezing?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote