Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #43
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
If you don't want to get into upgrading the fuel system, and/or add a cam, then porting the stocker could be a good idea. Flows better and I'd imagine helps lower Temps while adding some power. If you know your goal and have no desire to go above 700whp, then yes I'd say its a good way to go. Their will be some who go that route and are untruthful with themselves about how much power they want and will end up going to a bigger blower. I agree with Z OH 6, there's a place for a ported stock blower, just gotta know what you want and be honest with yourself about your goal
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #44
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Not really sure what you mean by "if you could have 1000 HP in a safe, reliable, durable, easy, street DD package at an affordable price I doubt you would turn it down."
Because you can have a 1000 HP setup and a tune for it and then swap pulleys and tune for a lower more streetable output.
Quote:
All of this can be achieved but that's not my goal with this vehicle. I'm absolutely turning it down because I've been there done that with my previous Hellcat. The problem with that much power on the street is that its completely unusable. I have ZERO desire to run a MT ET Street Drag Radial except at the track and I didn't buy this car to be a track only car. If I wanted a drag strip only car, I would have kept the 1000hp Hellcat that I had.
Come on now. We both know that is not the case at all. Camaros these days are very well balanced and have a ton of control put into the tunes. Like I said above, you can have a race setup and then a street setup that is dialed back. And you can definitely control these cars. Now, if you're gunning it at every light and from 40 MPH rolls with the tune set to full kill then yea I will agree with you. But only a numbskull would do that. A good tuner can dial it in very well. And a good driver knows a thing or two about clutch and/or gas pedal modulation. You can have a very well mannered, safe, reliable, 1000 HP in a DD vehicle.
Quote:
The 2300 blower isn't available anymore, and I'm not buying one used. The money I would have to spend for a 2300 could be put to better use buying a 2650R if I ever reached the point of needing one which again is not in my future. Again, you fail to understand where a ported OEM blower has its place. Its a good option to have one ported anytime, its cheap HP. Pulleying a stock blower is only a good idea for a street driven vehicle or a drag raced vehicle where it can be cooled between runs, not a good idea for a road raced vehicle. My ZL1 is 100% street driven, I have no desire to run it at the drag strip or road course. The ported OEM blower with a pulley meets my needs exceptionally well. Cost is non-issue for me.
I've never seen someone go with a ported stock blower over an aftermarket blower when cost wasn't the issue. Again, unless it is a restriction for a racing class you're in there is absolutely no reason other than financial ones as to why someone would go this route. Well that is my opinion at least. I just very much doubt anyone would actually do this.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #45
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Boys, boys...simmer on down now...

I had a 67 Camaro years ago with a bbc 468 solid roller with a 150 shot that would break into the 9's and get me booted off the track. I also used it to road race and would finish in the top 3 regularly.
My shop wanted me to jump up to a 250 shot which then would require an upgraded roll bar and a license. I'd finally decided it was fast enough after starting in the 12's and spending a fair amount of coin over a couple of years to get in the 9's. Wish I still had that car!

But I did learn you have to spend a fair amount of coin to get to a certain point and one needs to decide upfront what that point is. I'm close.

I was out shooting today and decided selling one of the guns I'm not attached to could be sold and would cover the cost of the porting. A little more power and more efficient for the road course. I'm not needing an 800rwhp car, but another 25-30hp will get me where I want to go, so...Jokerz or Kong? NW TB or give Soler another shot?

Probably gonna pull the trigger the first part of October. Gotta decide if I wanna pull the blower and reinstall myself or let the tune shop do it...hmmm.

And I'll for sure be accepting donations!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #46
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Because you can have a 1000 HP setup and a tune for it and then swap pulleys and tune for a lower more streetable output.

Come on now. We both know that is not the case at all. Camaros these days are very well balanced and have a ton of control put into the tunes. Like I said above, you can have a race setup and then a street setup that is dialed back. And you can definitely control these cars. Now, if you're gunning it at every light and from 40 MPH rolls with the tune set to full kill then yea I will agree with you. But only a numbskull would do that. A good tuner can dial it in very well. And a good driver knows a thing or two about clutch and/or gas pedal modulation. You can have a very well mannered, safe, reliable, 1000 HP in a DD vehicle.

I've never seen someone go with a ported stock blower over an aftermarket blower when cost wasn't the issue. Again, unless it is a restriction for a racing class you're in there is absolutely no reason other than financial ones as to why someone would go this route. Well that is my opinion at least. I just very much doubt anyone would actually do this.

After all that text you're still missing the point and I find it insulting that you keep implying that cost is an issue for or me or anyone else that isn't running a 2650R. Do you honestly think that people running a 2650R have more money than everyone else? That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'll state this again, I know exactly where I wanted to be with this car, and I've achieved it with an OEM ported blower and pulley. I don't need to have 1000hp and swap pullies when I need to dial it back. What is the 1000hp for when I'm never going to use it? I think I've been quite clear that my car is street driven only, I haven't been to a drag strip in 2 years now. There's never a time when I need 1000hp. I've already been there and done that with my previous Hellcat that made over 1000hp. Cost is not an issue and I'm not chasing HP numbers. I wanted more power than stock but not enough to completely overwhelm street tires which is exactly where I am and very happy with my setup.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #47
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
If you don't want to get into upgrading the fuel system, and/or add a cam, then porting the stocker could be a good idea. Flows better and I'd imagine helps lower Temps while adding some power. If you know your goal and have no desire to go above 700whp, then yes I'd say its a good way to go. Their will be some who go that route and are untruthful with themselves about how much power they want and will end up going to a bigger blower. I agree with Z OH 6, there's a place for a ported stock blower, just gotta know what you want and be honest with yourself about your goal
This guy gets it!
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #48
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
After all that text you're still missing the point and I find it insulting that you keep implying that cost is an issue for or me or anyone else that isn't running a 2650R. Do you honestly think that people running a 2650R have more money than everyone else? That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
The fact that you're insulted by those statements means that you didn't understand what I'm getting at. I didn't say it to imply that you or others can't afford it. I said cost is an issue to mean simply that it comes at a price where you or others might not think it is worth it. If the package I bought costed an extra $10K, sure I could afford it. But at that price cost would for sure be an issue because I would not be willing to pay it. Or to put it simply, I wouldn't be able to justify to myself paying that much. However it also works the other way with less expensive items, like porting. To me, the price to port and pulley the stock blower is not worth it. So it is a cost issue with me when I compare it to how much a complete package costs, the gains from a complete package, how much more efficient the setup will be, and the extra potential for growth in the future. THAT is what I mean. Is it still the dumbest thing you ever heard??

If this topic comes up a million times, then a million times my answer will be that if cost is not an issue (however you want to take that), and if you want a better and more efficient setup with more room for growth in the future without having to pay extra, then go with a complete setup. However if you know for sure that you only want X amount of power, then go for whatever will get you that. However, in the future, if that person does want more, then they will have wasted money and time going the ported route.

Quote:
I'll state this again, I know exactly where I wanted to be with this car, and I've achieved it with an OEM ported blower and pulley. I don't need to have 1000hp and swap pullies when I need to dial it back. What is the 1000hp for when I'm never going to use it? I think I've been quite clear that my car is street driven only, I haven't been to a drag strip in 2 years now. There's never a time when I need 1000hp. I've already been there and done that with my previous Hellcat that made over 1000hp. Cost is not an issue and I'm not chasing HP numbers. I wanted more power than stock but not enough to completely overwhelm street tires which is exactly where I am and very happy with my setup.
I said it to make a point. So let me say it a different way. If, for the same exact price, you can have a ported setup and be capped at your power level, or have a setup that allows you to swap a pulley and tune to a race setup and have even more HP, which would you pick? Again, if it came at the same price. Second point, 1000 HP when dialed in properly and when driven properly is not uncontrollable or useless. Not in cars these days. They are very well controlled. Can you let loose on it like you could in a FBO AWD WRX? No. Can you still get on it and have fun and destroy much of the competition out there? Absolutely. Watch some YT videos of these guys out there running high output setups on the street and you'll see.

But anyway, nothing of this is about YOU because you aren't the one asking advice. You made replies to my posts and I made statements to make a specific point. If you're satisfied with what you have and you got there by porting and your setup is as efficient as you make it out to be then good for you. I looked over the limits of porting and pulleying and the limited gains and lack of efficiency and compared it to the cost of a complete package and the gains from that and the potential. And to me buying a package was far superior to anything else. With all the 800+ RWHP cars out there and with the Supercars and how fast and powerful they are and with modded GT500s and the upcoming C8 Z06 and everything else including highly modded WRXs, M5s, M6s, AMGs, etc, to me the only way to keep up is to go for the throat. And yes, I am very competitive. But to each their own.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #49
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Boys, boys...simmer on down now...
A little spirited conversation is good for the soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I had a 67 Camaro years ago with a bbc 468 solid roller with a 150 shot that would break into the 9's and get me booted off the track. I also used it to road race and would finish in the top 3 regularly.
My shop wanted me to jump up to a 250 shot which then would require an upgraded roll bar and a license. I'd finally decided it was fast enough after starting in the 12's and spending a fair amount of coin over a couple of years to get in the 9's. Wish I still had that car!

But I did learn you have to spend a fair amount of coin to get to a certain point and one needs to decide upfront what that point is. I'm close.

I was out shooting today and decided selling one of the guns I'm not attached to could be sold and would cover the cost of the porting. A little more power and more efficient for the road course. I'm not needing an 800rwhp car, but another 25-30hp will get me where I want to go, so...Jokerz or Kong? NW TB or give Soler another shot?

Probably gonna pull the trigger the first part of October. Gotta decide if I wanna pull the blower and reinstall myself or let the tune shop do it...hmmm.

And I'll for sure be accepting donations!
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices. So go with whoever gives you the best price and/or has the fastest turn around.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #50
Evansa22

Their's another company called MAD, modern airflow dynamics. I've heard they do great work, and will be going with them when I'm ready to go
Old 07-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #51
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Their's another company called MAD, modern airflow dynamics. I've heard they do great work, and will be going with them when I'm ready to go
Has anyone used them? I haven't run into anyone who has........Some input would be great.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #52
Evansa22

Came highly recommended from the guy who's gonna be tuning my car. They are out of Houston, also wonder if anyone here has some experience with them. I checked out they're website and they look pretty good. Here's what I was told
CNC machine
The entire inside hand ported
Welding
Blending
Port matching
Old 07-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #53
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I could buy 10 2650s today if wanted and I’m going ported OEM blower on stock pulleys. Why? Because I want to. Has nothing whatsoever to do with cost. My target is 700whp and running cooler than when it left the factory. Why? Because I can, and because I said so. LOL

To the guy that says it has to be about the cost, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Your way isn’t the only way to get there.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #54
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I could buy 10 2650s today if wanted and I’m going ported OEM blower on stock pulleys. Why? Because I want to. Has nothing whatsoever to do with cost. My target is 700whp and running cooler than when it left the factory. Why? Because I can, and because I said so. LOL

To the guy that says it has to be about the cost, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Your way isn’t the only way to get there.
Many don't understand these lt4 engines have I believe 11 coolers to keep temps down. Doing almost any mods creates more heat problems that need addressed. So you are not only doing performance mods but, in some instances redoing and adding additional coolers. This adds more cost and weight to an already heavy car. Many talk about problems keeping IAT temps down and installing more cooling tanks in the trunk. One must consider all these additions in the modding cost. Nobody ever said going faster is cheap but, at what point is too much power even useable for street use. Have you ever tried a dig race with 800-1000 RWHP on anything less than drag tires. So tell me where on the street can you use that much power. It comes down to bragging rights, JMO.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.

Last edited by Smokin19; 07-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #55
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post

10 huh....

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #56
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Many don't understand these lt4 engines have I believe 11 coolers to keep temps down. Doing almost any mods creates more heat problems that need addressed. So you are not only doing performance mods but, in some instances redoing and adding additional coolers. This adds more cost and weight to an already heavy car. Many talk about problems keeping IAT temps down and installing more cooling tanks in the trunk. One must consider all these additions in the modding cost. Nobody ever said going faster is cheap but, at what point is too much power even useable for street use. Have you ever tried a dig race with 800-1000 RWHP on anything less than drag tires. So tell me where on the street can you use that much power. It comes down to bragging rights, JMO.

Agreed which is why you have to realistic about your goals and your intended use for the car. I wanted as much power as I could get out of mine without going into the engine and without making the car undeliverable on street tires. 700whp seems to be the sweet spot and a ported OEM blower and lower pulley will get there just fine.