Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #43
2023ZL1RapidBlue

Drives: ZL1, S2000
Reviving an old thread rather than start a new one. I know someone else posted on here that they got WARM as a reading on their dashboard. I have never seen anything above NORMAL even after driving for an hour about 70mph.

The manual states that NORMAL means the tires are ready for normal driving (not spirited)
It also says that WARM means that the tires are ready for action and spirted driving. I guess my tires are never ready for cornering and spirited driving even in the summer?

Or does this WARM reading happen only at the track?
2023ZL1RapidBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:57 PM   #44
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023ZL1RapidBlue View Post
Reviving an old thread rather than start a new one. I know someone else posted on here that they got WARM as a reading on their dashboard. I have never seen anything above NORMAL even after driving for an hour about 70mph.
Yes, I've definitely gotten warm at the track, in fact just about all the time I think. We don't get "hot" this far north, but we even get to the point where the pavement is easily 100 degrees and tires get greasy. Driving around a track creates a ton of heat in the brakes, this goes into the tires. Driving at 70 would absolutely cool the tires back down to a point. Think about it like this, with each autocross lap I take, I generate at least an additional PSI just due to heat.

Don't read too much into the tire temp, each tire is different and operates best at a different temp. A lot of racing tires will get pretty greasy pushing them hard when they get warm and hot. There's a hell of a difference between cold and hot, but the optimal range IME can be pretty narrow and you really can't chase that too hard.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #45
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023ZL1RapidBlue View Post

The manual states that NORMAL means the tires are ready for normal driving (not spirited)
It also says that WARM means that the tires are ready for action and spirted driving. I guess my tires are never ready for cornering and spirited driving even in the summer?

Or does this WARM reading happen only at the track?
In general, WARM is only going to happen at the track. To heat the tires sufficiently to go from NORMAL to WARM, you have to build up lateral G forces repeatedly. You might be able to do that on a public road pulling something like 0.8Gs through several back to back turns, but it starts to add some risk, as public roads aren't as well groomed as a track circuit and usually don't have any run-off room if you lose traction.

In short, if you want to see WARM in your DIC display (and take full advantage of your ZL1's capabilities), take your Camaro to the track!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:34 PM   #46
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
A warm reading per gm is about 117 degrees tire temp and warmer. Normal on the road or even on a mountain road will be just a normal reading. Now with good autocross tires like re71s, falcons or Nankangs my tires hit warm on my 3rd, 60 second run in 75-85 degree weather
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #47
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Driving it normally like you did its not going to triggered that temp notice. Only at the track or "track".
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:25 PM   #48
2023ZL1RapidBlue

Drives: ZL1, S2000
Thanks to JamesNoBrake,N Camarolina,VR Baron and WhiteMale for chiming in. Each of you provided really good info.

If I leave display on, I could see tires go from COLD to COOL to NORMAL (late spring to summer weather).
So I thought, Ok, in this heat, I will definitely see WARM. But, I see it takes more than that and we can say my gauge is reading fine.

Thanks.
2023ZL1RapidBlue is offline   Reply With Quote