Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
USAjobs is the main listing for .gov positions so good place to look, as mentioned before. You can have as many as 4 resumes within USAjobs so you can upload your own or tailer one for the job you are applying to. Key words were mentioned a few times and is the most important thing to remember. It's like this, the person and/or system scanning resumes IS NOT the person looking to hire someone. It is someone paid to rack and stack applicants. 9 times out of 10 that person doesnt know anything about the job, they are looking for words. Hit enough words and you may be refered for consideration.

Most times these "key words" are in the job announcement itself, listed under "KSA's" (knowledge, skills and abilities). If you know what job series you are applying for, look here https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...#url=Standards

As for a security clearance it is "must be able to qualify for" statement since .gov clearances are a little different investigation than civilian sector.

Happy hunting
Thanks for this as well. That makes sense too..
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Switchin2Chevy

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. And I'll be sure to put it to good use. I know I don't have a military background or experience in various positions, but I'm more than trainable and work hard.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #45
AllBlckChvy

Drives: Black 2LS
I started off as temp employee for DoD and eventually transitioned to full-time contractor. If you don't have experience, I would suggest maybe emphasizing on what you learned during your Associates. List all group projects, grades, and any volunteering you may have done or side jobs related to position. I applied for years before I even got a temp position. Be patient, stay motivated and a job will come around. I'm assuming you're applying for IT? If so, keep up to date with the current tech and maybe start to volunteer to fix PC's and such.. just my 2 cents... Best of luck to you!
AllBlckChvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
WildcatSS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
One more tip: include month/day/year on your résumé. Most jobs require 1 year of specialized experience. If you post you were at a job from 1/12 to 12/12 is that a full year or only 11 months? Better to put 1/1/12 to 12/31/12 so you get full credit.
WildcatSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #47
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatSS View Post
One more tip: include month/day/year on your résumé. Most jobs require 1 year of specialized experience. If you post you were at a job from 1/12 to 12/12 is that a full year or only 11 months? Better to put 1/1/12 to 12/31/12 so you get full credit.
You'd actually want to put 1/2/12 - 12/31/12. The 1st is a Federal holiday.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #48
Switchin2Chevy

The Stig.. Always with the comedy that guy!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #49
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
I know I don't have a military background or experience in various positions, but I'm more than trainable and work hard.
That's very commendable, switchin, but just be sure to focus on areas where you are highly proficient and experienced. The Gov'ts resume screening process doesn't know (or care) how "trainable" you may be.

Also, I don't want to discourage you further but between the hiring freeze and your lack of military service... it ain't looking good for anyone trying to get their foot in the door. "Veteran's preference" carries a lot of weight, especially within DoD. Best of luck to you though.

Oh, and one other thing. I had security clearances during most of my four years of active duty military service but never had one in the following 27 years of civilian service. Started as a GS-5 and retired as a GS-13.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #50
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I work for the DOD. If I told you more. I would have to dispose of you
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #51
chloew920

Drives: 2013 2LT
Quote:
Morning folks. I just wanted to see if any members worked for the Federal government in a GS position. My wife and I have been applying for various positions that we've been able to find online. We have friends/family members try to point us in the right direction as well but we haven't been able to get as much as a call back. It's been suggested by a friend that we may not be including the right "key words" in our applications. Does anyone have ay info on this? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
I'm a GS Gov employee. I am an Audiologist so the qualifications are specific. I applied for 10+ jobs got about 5 interviews, and got offered one job. You need to tailor your résumé to include VERY SPECIFIC language. They like numbers and results. They also very customer service oriented. If you got to the usajobs website there are some tips to tailor your résumé for gov jobs. It really is a shot in the dark. The hiring officials have to like you from your résumé to interview you. The interviews are graded and the candidate the gets the highest score gets and offer. Basically it's a numbers game. KEEP TRYING!
chloew920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #52
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Morning folks. I just wanted to see if any members worked for the Federal government in a GS position. My wife and I have been applying for various positions that we've been able to find online. We have friends/family members try to point us in the right direction as well but we haven't been able to get as much as a call back. It's been suggested by a friend that we may not be including the right "key words" in our applications. Does anyone have ay info on this? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
It's all about who you know especially in today's times especially in government jobs. Prior experience in the field your also applying for goes along way. If you already have a security clearance that would also help as the government wouldn't have to pay for it.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #53
Switchin2Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
It's all about who you know especially in today's times especially in government jobs. Prior experience in the field your also applying for goes along way. If you already have a security clearance that would also help as the government wouldn't have to pay for it.
That's very true. Unfortunately though, there are times when connections don't pan out.