Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #43
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
I wonder exactly what the "trumpet" does? I bet some sort of flexible membrane is what allows vibrations to travel without actually sucking air from the cabin.
I imagine it does the same thing they've always done, they collect and concentrate/amplify sound waves.
(EDIT: The device pictured below is called an ear trumpet.)
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 10-30-2015 at 06:46 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #44
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Of course there is a difference, I'm just asking the same question you asked: What's wrong with it? I was just interested in your opinion, don't be so combative, sheesh.

I think noise canceling is an awesome technology, gets rid of unwanted road noise. Then, the addition of engine noise to give a sporty feel (regardless if its "fake" or not) is kinda neat. But, I haven't heard it. If it ends up sounding fake and crappy, then I'd consider it a poor implementation.

Again, don't knock it until you try it.
I completely apologize if I came across combative. I think I've become so jaded over time with all the trolling and complaining and fighting that goes on in these car forums, that I've become less calm than I used to be. I'm working on changing how I word my posts.

Actually, I don't have a real problem with noise cancelling technology, if its simply helping to remove unwanted frequencies by canceling them out with other frequencies. On the other hand if someone created something that simply has the speakers playing better sounding exhaust noises and tones through them just to make the car sound better on the inside (while still sounding terrible on the outside)...I'm not really a fan of that, and so that's the thinking behind my "crap coming from speakers" comment.

Not to mention, that the guys here giving it hate, are likely the ones whom also love awesome V8 sound. I just don't see why piping in pure sound, is getting the hate?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #45
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
The crap people complain about sometimes amazes me...
X2
Old 10-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #46
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I don't like it because it's phallic shaped and therefore freaks me out.
lol
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #47
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
You sound like a child. The general public doesn't want to see a bunch of wires, tubes and metal when they open the hood. The weight, cost and heat are negligible at best. It takes 10 seconds to remove it anyway, so what's the point of crying about it?
Yeah you know, the general public. The ones that buy all those Camrys and Priuses. Sorry couldn't help it! (Should I point out the HUGE chasm between thinking something is "silly" and hate!?!?!??!)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #48
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Hey look, a picture of OldJedi!
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Yeah who wants to open a hood and see an actual ENGINE and not some huge hunk of heat-trapping, sound-deadening plastic bling. BTW they make a fantastic mouse habitat, a nice little insulated roof over their head to hide under and to hold in the engine heat and keep them warm overnight. A mouse/mice had made himself a nice little home under the one on my wife's car with FI wires right there for him to hone his teeth on. Took the cover off to eliminate that.

Yeah, what were those engineers thinking? Giving those mice a place to live, for crying out loud. The horror.

Eliminating pieces of the car is so much easier than solving a rodent problem. Good work.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #50
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
You sound like a child. The general public doesn't want to see a bunch of wires, tubes and metal when they open the hood. The weight, cost and heat are negligible at best. It takes 10 seconds to remove it anyway, so what's the point of crying about it?
I really don't think that the general public cares, it's just a marketing move.
Because it it violates KISS, causes harm, & serves no purpose.
Yea, I bet all the service techs love those 10 seconds, when they are
working on your engine...
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #51
joemosfet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
On the other hand if someone created something that simply has the speakers playing better sounding exhaust noises and tones through them just to make the car sound better on the inside (while still sounding terrible on the outside)...I'm not really a fan of that, and so that's the thinking behind my "crap coming from speakers" comment.
You make a very good point.

You know I wonder if that noise is completely generated, or if there is some sort of strategically placed microphone near the exhaust.

If so, would turning the sound into electrical signal and then back into sound terribly different from a sound tube? Perhaps. Maybe its similar to digital samples creating a musical piece vs hearing it live. Hearing it live, even if it sounds exactly the same, can have more of an enjoyable experience.

And thus, simply knowing that the sound is coming from the speakers can detract from it's enjoyment.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
Old 10-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #52
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk View Post
Engine dress covering is just a marketing tool.
The salesmen pop the hood, & the customer thinks, oh how pretty.
Exactly.

The plastic covers serve no engineering purpose. In fact there was an owner on camaro5.com who measured engine bay temps in a multitude of various driving situations with the engine cover on and off, and found that with the cover off the ambient temp of the engine bay was on average 5 degrees cooler.

Who wants to buy my engine cover too? Sound tube kit and engine cover deal - $550.00.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #53
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Yeah, what were those engineers thinking? Giving those mice a place to live, for crying out loud. The horror.

Eliminating pieces of the car is so much easier than solving a rodent problem. Good work.
Wow talk about not knowing anything about a situation. To eliminate my rodent issue I'd need to burn down the storage buildings on my neighbors property and the large grassy fields nearby. I have managed to catch 31 of them to date in the last 3 or 4 years. But I did find it easier to just leave the non-functional cover off then to remove it now and then to see if a mouse had made a nest there again. If you like your cover leave it on, fine by me. I don't PREFER them myself.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #54
joemosfet

C'mon guys, it will take two seconds and a glance at this picture to see that the engine cover DOES serve a purpose, other than dress up:

It holds the fuel line up!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #55
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
hm, the 5.0 coyotes i drove from 2011 and 2013 have the same tube and this filter or something. i removed that thing between and inside it was louder...nice
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #56
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
Quote:
C'mon guys, it will take two seconds and a glance at this picture to see that the engine cover DOES serve a purpose, other than dress up:

It holds the fuel line up!
the only purpose i see in that is a space holder for a supercharger
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote