Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Because they have people already paying the set amount without complaining?
Maybe so, but how many more subscribers would they get if the offered a true "basic" plan for remote access?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #30
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I was trusting OnStar to send diagnostics. When my daily GM car (not Camaro) lit up the check engine light, I expected to see an alert in my monthly OnStar report, but there was nothing. So I called OnStar and the rep read the error report to me. OnStar had the info, but it didn't get into my report, which said everything was hunky dory (old New England expression for OK, BTW).

So yeah, it appears that OnStar is garbage.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #31
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
I signed an opt out form before delivery.
No my chevy app bullsh't either.
Also Pulled the fuse for redundancy.
No lights, nothing on the OS buttons above.
Which fuse did you pull?
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #32
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Which fuse did you pull?
F20 Onstar/Navigation
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #33
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
F20 Onstar/Navigation
Thanks.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First, as mentioned you are all getting tracked. Yet the thought of OnStar tracking is somehow worse??

Also I think everyone understands why Google is a trillion $ company yet charges 0 for use of its services. It’s your data and it is hugely valuable.

That all being said many companies like GM are looking for ways to get your use data and sell selective marketing/advertising. GM has said they expect to make $25 Billion dollars selling these services. It’s also at least partly why GM is eliminating Apple Car Play and Android Auto for their own onboard software (android based I believe).

I’ve been an OnStar subscriber from the onset. I have no issue with your fears of being tracked. That’s pointless. If you are on the internet and on OR AROUND your phone you are being tracked and data collected. Anyone had a targeted ad for something they only talked about but never searched for?
Old 12-21-2023, 08:44 PM   #35
OBD3

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS trim
GM has been getting very pushy in trying to monetize Onstar, and it looks like the customer is pushing back.
My 2017 Suburban had 5 years on the basic app.
My wifes 2018 Terrain, only had one month for everything including the basic app.
Fast forward to October 2023 and my 2023 Camaro has gone to 3 years of the basic and 3 months of everything else. Needless to say only the basic remains for the Camaro, nothing else was extended. In Canada, the Cell portion of Onstar is priced terribly with only 4 GB for 19.99 Can, I told my salesman nobody in their right minds would pick that and he agreed. The good thing was their was no pressure from them on any of the vehicles to take extras.
OBD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:25 PM   #36
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
I only liked it when they had phone numbers…with that discontinued…it’s not as cool

My Windows Sticker: https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FE3D78N0129849
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #37
Green82

Drives: 2022 camaro lt1
i use onstar just so i can start my car from my phone. i work in a big plant and in winter its nice to have the car warm and windows defrosting when i get off work
Green82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:10 PM   #38
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Salesman took the liberty to turn all my stuff on, including the driving report that gets sent monthly to your insurance provider. Once I found that hard stops/starts etc were being collected and distributed, I was po'd and shut it all down.

The govt will probably move to turn it all on in the future, likely as part of the DUI detection monitoring.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
Salesman took the liberty to turn all my stuff on, including the driving report that gets sent monthly to your insurance provider. Once I found that hard stops/starts etc were being collected and distributed, I was po'd and shut it all down.

The govt will probably move to turn it all on in the future, likely as part of the DUI detection monitoring.
The salesman didn't turn everything on like you believe he did, nor does it seem you understand how it all works... Activating OnStar requires YOU talking to the agent - if he did that, he could get in serious trouble because you are agreeing to contract terms on that call.

The SmartDriver functionality is enabled by default and you have to opt out. So, once OnStar is activated, that feature is on.

Nothing is "sent" to your insurance carrier. The information is generally passed along to LexisNexus, and your insurance company MAY poll them for them information and potentially get it (or not).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #40
grgus73

Drives: 2024 Silverado 2500, 2018 Trax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Call your credit card company and tell them to issue you another CC # because current card # got compromised. Problem solved.
I have done this in the past to.
I just tell them that I do not have a credit card on me and conveniently ignore their calls. Do not see the value in OnStar. I like SiriusXM and do not mind paying for a service that I see value in.
grgus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #41
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post

Nothing gets sent to your insurance provider, and no, that's not included in the Infrastructure Act. Nobody cares if you disagree with it, but at least have the integrity to discuss it factually.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #42
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Onstar can, and often does, sell your driving information to insurance companies. Or they provide it to 3rd parties like Lexus Nexus which insurance companies can access. There have been several threads about this very thing happening and confirmed by the insurance company themselves.

No thanks, I don't need my own car ratting me out to my insurer If I go for a spirited drive. And unlike most people today, I don't have my cell phone attached to me 24/7 like an appendage. It's a nice convenience, but I lived fine without one for years and years. I've been known to leave it at home either accidentally or deliberately and am still around to tell the tale. Simple as that if you don't want to be tracked.