CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   OnStar is garbage (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621846)

Evergreen6 12-19-2023 02:49 PM

OnStar is garbage

What a confusing scam.

When I bought the car, I was enrolled in an unlimited data plan which apparently I paid $15 for, I thought they were just taking my card information for eventual billing, but nope. And wait, there's more, it includes another 2 free months of "premium plus" wifi which is already set up with automatic recurring billing!

I said cancel that, I don't need it, and they said no can do, I'd have to wait until Feb 2024 when it gets ready to automatically bill. I said cancel it now, in no uncertain tone.

But wait, that ends your OnStar Premium trial, but we can offer you replacement plans without the data plan for a lower cost if you sign up today.

NO

Cancel it all. Anything I have to pay for, get rid of it. After being put on hold several times and being called "Mr. *****" or "Sir" which felt like before and after every sentence, I was thoroughly annoyed.

When did this service get SO BAD?

Years ago, you got like 1-3 free years of service. Data and calling minutes was a one-plan add on, if you needed it. It was kind of junky back then, but now it feels like dealing with the god damn cable company or worse.

MT-SS1LE 12-19-2023 02:52 PM

So glad I never even activated that crap. I told my salesman to skip the activation if he wanted the sale. He gladly complied, lol.

tenargo57 12-19-2023 03:04 PM

Even if it was free it still seems like the only thing it's good for is a false sense of security. It can be easily disabled by thieves which kills GPS tracking, and now even cell phones have crash detection and will auto-dial 911.

Joshinator99 12-19-2023 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE (Post 11389644)
So glad I never even activated that crap. I told my salesman to skip the activation if he wanted the sale. He gladly complied, lol.

Smart move. I really need to pull that damn Onstar module out one day and launch it.

clg82 12-19-2023 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenargo57 (Post 11389646)
Even if it was free it still seems like the only thing it's good for is a false sense of security. It can be easily disabled by thieves which kills GPS tracking, and now even cell phones have crash detection and will auto-dial 911.

It also can be very helpful, when I totaled my first ZL1 by the time my car came to a stop OnStar had alerted the paramedics as well as police. Asked if I and my passengers were alright and if I needed any further assistance. Even stayed on the phone with me until authorities arrived. So for how much people complain about the technologies in these cars, it may some day save your life.

302crossram 12-19-2023 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE (Post 11389644)

I signed an opt out form before delivery.
No my chevy app bullsh't either.
Also Pulled the fuse for redundancy.
No lights, nothing on the OS buttons above.

clg82 12-19-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302crossram (Post 11389650)
I signed an opt out form before delivery.
No my chevy app bullsh't either.
Also Pulled the fuse for redundancy.
No lights, nothing on the OS buttons above.

You're that worried about them tracking you? You're cell phone you carry with you everywhere does twice as much as tracking than OnStar :smiling1:

tenargo57 12-19-2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clg82 (Post 11389648)
It also can be very helpful, when I totaled my first ZL1 by the time my car came to a stop OnStar had alerted the paramedics as well as police. Asked if I and my passengers were alright and if I needed any further assistance. Even stayed on the phone with me until authorities arrived. So for how much people complain about the technologies in these cars, it may some day save your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQhL4wmN7mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yB48C5Mx8

Evergreen6 12-19-2023 07:10 PM

The value of the services are subjective. It's the packaging and process that does me wrong. Everything from the web interface, how it's confusingly presented (and very slow) to having to talk with someone in a call center to do basic things, to billing, to the initial advisor call which is like a greasy, insurance-scam -feeling process, etc. It just sucks.

It was cool in like...1996...but that was almost 30 years ago. Some things don't age well.

02WhiteWs6 12-19-2023 07:50 PM

Same experience I had. I lied and said i didn't have a credit card on me at the moment. so (for some unknow reason) my free trial couldn't be activated. Fine with me. But then, they relentlessly called, the dealer even called and asked me to activate. So i did, and theysaid the same thing for cancellation, I couldn't cancel, I had to call in right before the trial period ended.

This is nothing but a pure scam and bully tactics to fraudulent charge your credit card.

But lucky, I was able to sign in online and change my credit card to an expire date in a few days. It won't let you remove the card itself, only modify. We'll see if that helps or if they do in fact get me for a month payment before I can cancel.

Mid_Life_Crisis 12-19-2023 08:30 PM

I told the sales rep to stop bringing it up. No thanks.

Evergreen6 12-19-2023 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02WhiteWs6 (Post 11389728)
Same experience I had. I lied and said i didn't have a credit card on me at the moment. so (for some unknow reason) my free trial couldn't be activated. Fine with me. But then, they relentlessly called, the dealer even called and asked me to activate. So i did, and theysaid the same thing for cancellation, I couldn't cancel, I had to call in right before the trial period ended.

This is nothing but a pure scam and bully tactics to fraudulent charge your credit card.

But lucky, I was able to sign in online and change my credit card to an expire date in a few days. It won't let you remove the card itself, only modify. We'll see if that helps or if they do in fact get me for a month payment before I can cancel.

Yep! Tried to delete my payment card online, and they won't let you do that.

Be careful with fudging the expiration date. Sometimes card merchants have automatic update services that can pull expiration dates and CVV's. They'll get the new one, and charge it.

That's such a load of crap that they can't cancel until the very end of the trial. I was tired of being strung along, I told him to cancel it now. It's easy to file a complaint with my State Attorney General if that's what I need to do. Magically, he was able to cancel the trial which had already been set up for automatic billing.

I hate business tactics like this. Anyone remember Columbia House, back in the 80's and 90's? lol

tenargo57 12-19-2023 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergreen6 (Post 11389740)
Yep! Tried to delete my payment card online, and they won't let you do that.

Be careful with fudging the expiration date. Sometimes card merchants have automatic update services that can pull expiration dates and CVV's. They'll get the new one, and charge it.

That's such a load of crap that they can't cancel until the very end of the trial. I was tired of being strung along, I told him to cancel it now. It's easy to file a complaint with my State Attorney General if that's what I need to do. Magically, he was able to cancel the trial which had already been set up for automatic billing.

I hate business tactics like this. Anyone remember Columbia House, back in the 80's and 90's? lol

I highly recommend privacy.com to avoid that from happening for any subscriptions you have. It enables you to create "virtual credit cards" which are valid card numbers linked to your real credit cards, but you can limit charge amounts, limit the frequency of charges, limit charges to specific vendors, a custom expiration date and more. If a vendor won't stop charging you just disable the virtual credit card and there's nothing they can do.

m6-lt1 12-19-2023 09:30 PM

My theory is GM banks on people forgetting to cancel and they make a ton of money each year off of that. If you forget to cancel (I did last month) you automatically get charged $30. And yes they don’t let you cancel online or remove your credit card. Unfortunately we have to call. I’ll add the call took less than 10 minutes for me to cancel.