Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #29
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Here is the kit I go with. Includes two cases (12qt) of 0W40 and a filter for $114.99.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...it,386340.html

Hopefully at the price they charged you they at least used the 0W40, which is a lot more expensive than the 5w30 Dexos. I decided to break down and buy some Race Ramps, which make the oil changes a breeze.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #30
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Bwahaha even my G-wagon oil changes aren't that much.. did you go to the Ferrari dealership by mistake?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #31
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
They either did something wrong or screwed you. It's one or the other. Watch Jegs for oil sales, I paid like 37.89 a 6 pack, I picked up 6 cases and 3 filters when it was on sale.
Also 1LE guys in here check out the Sixth Gen 1LE owners group on FaceBook. Great info.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #32
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
You got taken to the cleaners. 10 quarts of mobil one 0w-40 is $40ish at Walmart and a filter can be had for under $2 (I bought a 12 pack of oil filters from rock auto dirt cheap). My oil changes are under $50 doing it myself. 10 minutes of labor cooling off with a cold beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Dex 2 0w40 isn't $40ish for 10 qts. It sure ain't over twenty bucks/qt though!
Hey probably using this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-F...Quart/23636902 which is NOT a Dexos approved oil, if he has any issues that could be caused by oil and he can't proved he always used the proper oil, he may have a warranty issue...

I bought a $50,000 car with a very high performance engine, I have no problem with a $100 oil change... I never cheap out on fluids or maintenance... (All my cars run full synthetic and all get their oil changed at 3,000 miles OR 1 year (whichever comes first)...) That's why my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with 150,000 miles still doesn't burn ANY oil between changes...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #33
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Just because it's now been mentioned on this and other threads and some owners seem to be missing it...

GM changed the recommended oil in all LT1/LT4 applications with the exception of the ZLE on track to the Mobil1 0w-40 ESP.

My dealer was even changing the oil caps on every SS and C7 that came in for service to the 0w-40 cap.

Yes, your 2016-2018 manuals may say use the old oil, but that has been replaced by GM.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9eIpYCwMp1P6ce

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #34
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.s.v.b View Post
I drive an 2021 SS1LE and just left the stealership. Only 15 bucks worth of labor. Dexos oil change 216 bucks and 9 bucks for the filter. 16 bucks tax. Did I get bent over?
Yes, yes you did indeed get ass-raped.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:50 AM   #35
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Dex 2 0w40 isn't $40ish for 10 qts. It sure ain't over twenty bucks/qt though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Hey probably using this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-F...Quart/23636902 which is NOT a Dexos approved oil, if he has any issues that could be caused by oil and he can't proved he always used the proper oil, he may have a warranty issue...

I bought a $50,000 car with a very high performance engine, I have no problem with a $100 oil change... I never cheap out on fluids or maintenance... (All my cars run full synthetic and all get their oil changed at 3,000 miles OR 1 year (whichever comes first)...) That's why my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with 150,000 miles still doesn't burn ANY oil between changes...
Yeah, we been over this on other threads. Before this miraculous Euro formula was ever recommended, the factory oil was 0w-40 or 5w-30 synthetic mobil one. I will let you in on a little secret. Absolutely nothing has changed in the LT1 that would require you to need to use that glorified and overpriced dexos 2. Now if you gentlemen sleep easier at night paying double or triple for your lubricants, then have at it. I will keep using what they recommended since the LT1 was launched. There is absolutely nothing in that Euro formula other than a higher profit margin. If your car lives on a track or road course, maybe the Euro formula MIGHT be worth it. For the other 95%+ of us who don't live on a track or road course, the originally recommended (cheaper) LT1 oil does just as well as the overpriced oil you guys choose to purchase.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 12-17-2021 at 05:11 AM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:57 AM   #36
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
I will go against the grain in this thread here as a business owner.

From what I have heard , at least around me that price sounds about average if you took it to a reputable oil change place or dealer.
Some places do it different but no matter how you look at it no one in business is changing your oil for $15 labor. (They’re not even making money on that job really at the $250 price). Either they just marked it wrong or they’re in the crowd of mark the product up and mark the labor down. Some people really get stuck on the labor.

If you think you’d get it changed for $100 otd by a reputable shop I’d bet you can’t find that deal. (I’m not saying the original charge is
perfectly reasonable either. Might be a little high idk since I don’t pay to have it done )

Have to be careful listening to people on boards like this because a lot of times they confuse what they do themselves with what it costs in the real world to pay people to get things done. (I change my own oil)

Last edited by ZL1plumbin; 12-17-2021 at 05:21 AM.
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #37
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Just because it's now been mentioned on this and other threads and some owners seem to be missing it...

GM changed the recommended oil in all LT1/LT4 applications with the exception of the ZLE on track to the Mobil1 0w-40 ESP.

My dealer was even changing the oil caps on every SS and C7 that came in for service to the 0w-40 cap.

Yes, your 2016-2018 manuals may say use the old oil, but that has been replaced by GM.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9eIpYCwMp1P6ce
The only thing that has changed are their recommendations, the engines are identical to the ones launched and engineered to be ran on the cheaper mobil one. You guys want to over pay for lubricants, it is your money, burn it away. 2 oil changes of the cheaper mobil one will protect better than one oil change of dexos 2. 2 oil changes for me cost less than one oil change of dexos 2. If you guys can't see how changing a recommendation (more expensive lubricant in this case) benefits 2 partnered major corporations allowing them to generate more revenue out of their customers, then I don't know what else to tell you.

There is not one valid or even a reasonable explanation available to justify dexos 2. Dexos 2 was never a lubricant that the LT1 was engineered to run on, simply a much more expensive recommendation provided nearly 5 years after the LT1 was launched.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:28 AM   #38
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
At least u didn't get dirty. Why 0-40 ? Does it keep intake valves cleaner?

Last edited by Seniorrs; 12-17-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #39
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
The only thing that has changed are their recommendations, the engines are identical to the ones launched and engineered to be ran on the cheaper mobil one. You guys want to over pay for lubricants, it is your money, burn it away. 2 oil changes of the cheaper mobil one will protect better than one oil change of dexos 2. 2 oil changes for me cost less than one oil change of dexos 2. If you guys can't see how changing a recommendation (more expensive lubricant in this case) benefits 2 partnered major corporations allowing them to generate more revenue out of their customers, then I don't know what else to tell you.

There is not one valid or even a reasonable explanation available to justify dexos 2. Dexos 2 was never a lubricant that the LT1 was engineered to run on, simply a much more expensive recommendation provided nearly 5 years after the LT1 was launched.
What are you running? Walmart Super Tech?

Quote:
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often may not perform.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #40
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.s.v.b View Post
Did I get bent over?
Whether you decide the dealer ripped you off depends on how you value your time and willingness to invest in DIY. If you bill $250+/hr for your time, and the dealer is close by, I would say not.

12 quarts of Mobil1 0w40 ESP Formula and a filter is approx $115 from Speedway motors, free shipping no tax.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...it,386340.html

That's retail so presume the dealer can do 20-30% better and they are likely not using the relatively expensive ESP formula unless they said so (and weren't lying). So let's say their material cost is $50 if we're going the "let's presume it's a ripoff" route. Add labor and overhead (not a small # for a dealer). Maybe $100-125 total. If they used the expensive ESP Formula add $25-50 to that number easily.

A floor jack, jack stands, funnel, drain pan, plug wrench, cleanup supplies and a trip to the oil recycler can cost you easily $250. $60-150 or more if you buy lift points, magnetic pucks, etc. So call it a reasonable $350 to get set up. Add that to the oil+filter above and we're around $400 for the first change. Obviously less per change over time.

I've done 6 oil changes now on my 2017 Vert, still under 9k miles. About $175 per change plus $40 for Blackstone testing if one presumes I only purchased and use the jack, stands, etc. for this car. But in my case I bought the jack 37 years ago and have done my own oil changes, brakes, etc. for as long and that investment is long paid for.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #41
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
What are you running? Walmart Super Tech?
I run the original mobil one that was recommended at the launch of the LT1, those 5 quart jugs go for under $25 at walmart. Your post only reinforces my observations. Dexos 2 is a marketing gimmick to justify grossly inflated lubricant prices. Euro dexos 2 formula was not a lubricant that the LT1 was engineered around. It is simply a recommendation for LT1s which see high track usage. I'm also not too worried about cold start protection where I live. There may as well be an overnight heater on my oil pan with the average temperatures in my area.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #42
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Something odd going on here. The labor is way too low, the oil and filter are way too high.
Dealer pays worker's comp based on wages. Staff sees the bills. Keeping billed labor $/hr low to justify paying the mechanics low wages, to keep WC insurance bill down.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote